Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you make a qualifying offer to Bronson Arroyo?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 70.83%
  • No

28 29.17%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Make a Qualifying Offer to Arroyo?

Re: Would You Make a Qualifying Offer to Arroyo?

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    The concern would be that he could get a multiyear deal with another team, but would they want to pay him for 2 maybe 3 years and lose a first or second round pick too? Seems a little high for Bronson Arroyo.
    Someone will offer him 3 years. I am very confident in that.
    3 years of good starting pitching (what Arroyo will be percieved as) is more valuable than a draft pick for a team that needs a guy like Arroyo.

Arroyo is underrated here, due to the fact we are blessed with a lot of good starting pitching now.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

dfs (10-11-2013), Red Raindog (10-12-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Walt knows that Arroyo will do. If he offers a QO it's because he knows he will turn it down.

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    overly sentimental about old guys,, how did it work with larkin? griffey?? how about the phillies with Howard, utley and rollins, this is a must avoid manuever, let him go

If it wasn't for the draft pick then I would say let him walk. That compensation changes things. Its worth the risk IMO. He may fall off the cliff next season but I really haven't seen any of that. I think his descent will be much more gradual than most big leaguers.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Where's the "maybe" option? I'd do a full market assessment. I'd figure what I'm looking to add/drop for the upcoming season.

If my plan was to get a draft pick for Arroyo, and I thought there was a good chance of getting it, and I felt I had some appealing options if Arroyo accepted the QO, then I'd make the offer.

The big picture is a little fuzzy at the moment.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would make the qualifying offer, and hope he declines it.
    I think everybody agrees with this portion, but I wouldn't make it because I feel like he's likely to accept it and it isn't worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Someone will offer him 3 years. I am very confident in that.
    3 years of good starting pitching (what Arroyo will be percieved as) is more valuable than a draft pick for a team that needs a guy like Arroyo.

Arroyo is underrated here, due to the fact we are blessed with a lot of good starting pitching now.
    Someone will likely offer Arroyo 3 years at $7-8MM per year. That's $21MM guaranteed for 3 years or $14MM guaranteed for 1 year...I think it's likely that he accepts the 1 year deal.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

8. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (10-13-2013)

overly sentimental about old guys,, how did it work with larkin? griffey?? how about the phillies with Howard, utley and rollins, this is a must avoid manuever, let him go
    Surely you aren't seriously comparing a 1-year $14 million offer to a 5-year $125 million offer. That would be a silly comparison.

A very important question.

Who here who voted yes would change their answer if you knew he would accept it?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Who here who voted yes would change their answer if you knew he would accept it?
    I would. But even if he does accept the offer, it's not the end of the world. You still have lots of options.

In terms of money spent today vs money spend in the future, saving 14 MM in 2014 might let you add 20 MM to a LT deal of one of the guys we want to keep.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The Reds have to offer to take Arroyo to arbitration and the club has to submit an offer of at least a certain threshold. The threshold changes every year but it's approx 14 million now. It's a one year deal. Arroyo could accept and hypothetically counter with 20 million/year in arb, and hypothetically could win and the Reds would be stuck paying it ( I know, not realistic, just saying it could end up that way in theory).
    There is no arbitration. They offer the QO (let's assume it's $14M, as estimated), Arroyo either accepts or declines (and becomes a UFA, with compensation). There is no other scenario.

14. Likes:

LoganBuck (10-11-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If he accepts, you slot him into the rotation and immediately start to shop Homer Bailey to anyone willing to send you back a bat that can help replace Choo.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

16. Likes:

REDREAD (10-11-2013), reds44 (10-11-2013)

You do realize it would only be a one year deal, right?
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

I would have no problem playing him 14 million for one year.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

19. Likes:

Gallen5862 (10-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I would have no problem playing him 14 million for one year.
    Even if it meant you couldn't sign Homer or Latos long term? What about the money we are trying to conjure up for Choo?
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

I find there's two general schools of thought on these issues (at least from fans).

One is the notion that it's not my money, so spend it. I tend to fit into this camp. Obviously the team can't just pay everyone and anyone gobs of money, but it's never really going to have that problem. Watching sports is supposed to be fun, not a virtual balance-someone-else's checkbook pursuit.

The second is what I'll call the Priceline Negotiator camp. Every player is overpriced and you know that and they know that and you would use mental kung fu to get that player at a lower price (or you'd buy five unnamed awesome players with the savings from Player X). Forget that you might run the risk of winding up empty handed, only suckers pay retail.
    Last edited by M2; 10-11-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

22. Likes:

757690 (10-11-2013), Fil3232 (10-12-2013), MattyHo4Life (10-11-2013), REDREAD (10-11-2013)

Turn Off Ads?