Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you make a qualifying offer to Bronson Arroyo?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 70.83%
  • No

28 29.17%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would You Make a Qualifying Offer to Arroyo?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Would You Make a Qualifying Offer to Arroyo?

My question:

If they offer, and he declines, but after shopping around free agency, decides to come back, do the Reds still get a compensatory pick?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    My question:

If they offer, and he declines, but after shopping around free agency, decides to come back, do the Reds still get a compensatory pick?
    No.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think the Reds think trading Bailey is a desired result.
    If that is the case then the Reds are not smart unless they have an absolutely guaranteed #2 replacement for him, which well, they can't possibly have.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If that is the case then the Reds are not smart unless they have an absolutely guaranteed #2 replacement for him, which well, they can't possibly have.
    Nothing is guaranteed, but he likely won't be missed with a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Cingrani, Leake, and Chapman and either Arroyo or another vet innings eater.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    big mistake the kind of m istake the cardinals NEVER make
    How much are they paying Chris Carpenter this season?

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (10-12-2013)

Reds simply cannot risk Arroyo accepting a $14 million contract. They need the salary room for other shopping.

A qualifying offer also makes it harder for BA to find a deal elsewhere. Just like with Lohse last year. Nobody wants to give up the picks. He could ultimately be forced to accept the qualifying offer.

I think it's a pretty easy call. Thanks, Bronson, but we can't risk a $14 million deal for next year. No offer.

But you make the qualifying offer to Choo.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.

9. Likes:

Hubba (10-12-2013), mth123 (10-12-2013), Revering4Blue (10-12-2013)

Voted Yes. No way does Bronson accept it IMO. From the way he has talked I think he would feel insulted by the Reds offering only one year and would in no way want to come back. I feel like he would take the extra 10 million in guaranteed money somewhere he wants to be for something like 3/25. Again maybe he gets less but he will have no time whatsoever to weigh through all the offers. He will probably get his best offers close to spring training.

One thing to consider. Arroyo wants to pitch for awhile longer. Money might not as big of an issue for him as years, since whoever signs him to a multi year deal, will likely keep him on the team for the length of the contract. If he gets a three year deal, he's likely to pitch for three more years, no matter how he regresses.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    One thing to consider. Arroyo wants to pitch for awhile longer. Money might not as big of an issue for him as years, since whoever signs him to a multi year deal, will likely keep him on the team for the length of the contract. If he gets a three year deal, he's likely to pitch for three more years, no matter how he regresses.
    I think 1 year at $14.1Mil is a lot more tempting than 3 years at $21Mil regardless of the extra years.

14. Likes:

Hubba (10-12-2013), mth123 (10-12-2013)

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

It's not my money but I tend to think that Castellini is going to mandate a budget of some type. I don't know if that's $70 million... $100 million ... $130 million. But regardless, the Reds will have a budget.

You can buy a really, really good player for $14 million. You can get multiple above average players for that. If the Reds make the qualifying offer to Arroyo and he accepts (which I suspect he would), that would be a huge punch in the stomach. Not fatal, but it would hurt a lot.

By the way, Fangraphs values Arroyo's 2013 season at $3.8 million. That might be a bit low, but his annual value is much closer to that than $14.1 million.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

16. Likes:

mth123 (10-12-2013)

I voted no. Too close to risk. Time to move on. It's best for both of us.

Thanks a million, Bronson.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    No.
    Didn't think so. Thanks.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds simply cannot risk Arroyo accepting a $14 million contract. They need the salary room for other shopping.

A qualifying offer also makes it harder for BA to find a deal elsewhere. Just like with Lohse last year. Nobody wants to give up the picks. He could ultimately be forced to accept the qualifying offer.

I think it's a pretty easy call. Thanks, Bronson, but we can't risk a $14 million deal for next year. No offer.

But you make the qualifying offer to Choo.
    Correct me -- I thought I read there would be no pick assigned to Choo -- something about his being traded with one year left on his contract.

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Correct me -- I thought I read there would be no pick assigned to Choo -- something about his being traded with one year left on his contract.

As long as a player is acquired before opening day, he requires compensation if his team makes a qualifying offer.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Make Arroyo the QO, he's done well enough to deserve it. He may very well turn it down but the Kyle Lohse deal from last winter may have changed the whole thought process for this new rule. guy couldn't get a decent deal from a decent team and ended up in Milwaukee through 2015 making less than the QO.

Arroyo should get a decent offer in the FA market, there are a LOT of teams that would plug him into the #2 or #3 spot in their rotation.

Turn Off Ads?