Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you make a qualifying offer to Bronson Arroyo?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 70.83%
  • No

28 29.17%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would You Make a Qualifying Offer to Arroyo?

Re: Would You Make a Qualifying Offer to Arroyo?

let him go he is a 500 pitcher

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm surprised that almost three fourths of Redszone would make a QO to Arroyo. I don't think the Reds rotation will miss him much, and that is a big chunk of payroll that could be used to fill other holes.

that is a big chunk of payroll that could be used to fill other holes.
    The assumption on the part of many is that he will not accept the QO.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The assumption on the part of many is that he will not accept the QO.
    True, but I would be flabbergasted if he turned down $14Mil for just one year. Arroyo can talk about long term contracts all he wants, but I think he takes that guaranteed $14.1Mil in a heartbeat if the Reds make the offer.

I think he takes that guaranteed $14.1Mil in a heartbeat if the Reds make the offer.
    I don't. He'll test free agency. I think he wants to go somewhere else to finish his career. He's a smart guy, and GABP is not a good place for him to be in his late 30s. He'll want to be in a cool city with a big ballpark, IMO.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    I'm surprised that almost three fourths of Redszone would make a QO to Arroyo. I don't think the Reds rotation will miss him much, and that is a big chunk of payroll that could be used to fill other holes.
    With 2 / 5 of the projected rotation coming off seasons where they were unable to stay healthy (and 0 ready help in the minors), losing a reliable guy like Arroyo is tout for me to stomach.

Plus, I have severe doubts that the $14m saved will make a meaningful difference in acquiring the kind of bat necessary to replace Choo's production.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I don't. He'll test free agency. I think he wants to go somewhere else to finish his career. He's a smart guy, and GABP is not a good place for him to be in his late 30s. He'll want to be in a cool city with a big ballpark, IMO.
    It's not that simple. It won't prove to be smart if nobody else offers him a job. Or if the offers he receives are all lowballs. Do we know what team would offer him a contract at a good salary AND be forced by MLB to cut their 2014 draft budget by up to $ 3 million? I can't think of a single team who would want to do that.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2013-mlb-a...ft-pick-values
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Forget Bronson was a Red. Forget the draft pick (I don't think he will get the offer anyway)

If you had 14 MM to spend this offseason and Arroyo was just another free agent name...would you target him and would you offer him 14 MM?

I have to think that money could be spent much wiser.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I think we can all agree that we'd all love the draft pick if Arroyo rejects our qualifying offer.

And I think we can all agree that Arroyo would love a longer term deal that mays him more money.

What we don't know is how likely Arroyo is to get that long term deal when the team signing him has to forfeit a high draft pick. Or more accurately, how likeky Arroyo thinks he is to get that long term deal. That $14.1M qualifying offer may be pretty tempting.

The other factor that come sinto play is how much a $14.1M salary being paid to Arroyo prevents Cincy from improving the team.

If the Reds feel that a $14.1M Arroyo is severley hampers them financially, there is no way they will take that chance IMO.

11. Likes:

cincinnati chili (10-13-2013)

It's not that simple. It won't prove to be smart if nobody else offers him a job. Or if the offers he receives are all lowballs. Do we know what team would offer him a contract at a good salary AND be forced by MLB to cut their 2014 draft budget by up to $ 3 million? I can't think of a single team who would want to do that.
    Are you saying that a team with a protected pick has to cut their budget? I highly doubt that.

Worst case scenario is the Reds have to pay Arroyo 14 million and put him in the rotation. GIves the team some extra depth with which they can trade a starter for a bat. If Arroyo approaches his 200 inning performance from this year, it's not a bad contract.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Worst case scenario is the Reds have to pay Arroyo 14 million and put him in the rotation. GIves the team some extra depth with which they can trade a starter for a bat. If Arroyo approaches his 200 inning performance from this year, it's not a bad contract.
    Plus we might not have the money to improve the team. We are basically last years team minus Choo. That's the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    One thing to consider. Arroyo wants to pitch for awhile longer. Money might not as big of an issue for him as years, since whoever signs him to a multi year deal, will likely keep him on the team for the length of the contract. If he gets a three year deal, he's likely to pitch for three more years, no matter how he regresses.
    If Bronson wants to pitch awhile longer his smart move is to take the $14 million, pitch for the Reds next year, then go through free agency again after 2014.

Is Bronson risking injury by a one year deal? Yeah, but you know $14 million isn't a terrible haul for taking that risk.

The qualifying offer idea is fine, but the dollar amount is simply too big for the Reds to take the risk. That qualifying offer amount will really deter teams from making the offer IMO.

15. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Bronson wants to pitch awhile longer his smart move is to take the $14 million, pitch for the Reds next year, then go through free agency again after 2014.

Is Bronson risking injury by a one year deal? Yeah, but you know $14 million isn't a terrible haul for taking that risk.

The qualifying offer idea is fine, but the dollar amount is simply too big for the Reds to take the risk. That qualifying offer amount will really deter teams from making the offer IMO.
    My point was that Arroyo might not care about the money, but the chance to keep pitching. It's not risking injury, it's risking sucking. He's 37. At that age, you never know when you're going to lose it.

If he has a two or three year deal, whoever signed him will likely keep him on the roster, even if he's not pitching well, since they are already paying him. On a one year deal, if he sucks next year, he'll have a hard time finding a job.

And it was just a thought. No idea if Bronson is thinking that way.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Plus we might not have the money to improve the team. We are basically last years team minus Choo. That's the risk.
    Is there anyone out there who WILL improve the team to any degree that:

1. Plays a position the Reds don't already have someone locked-in to play (C, SS, CF, 3B, LF)?

2. Will sign for a contract the team can afford (in terms of years and yearly salary)?

3. Is better than the in-house options that probably cost less?

It's one thing to say "Don't sign Arroyo -- use that $14m to improve the offense," but that's only a good idea if there's someone out there who CAN come in and play better than the guys the team already has.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

18. Likes:

BillDoran (10-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Is there anyone out there who WILL improve the team to any degree that:

1. Plays a position the Reds don't already have someone locked-in to play (C, SS, CF, 3B, LF)?

2. Will sign for a contract the team can afford (in terms of years and yearly salary)?

3. Is better than the in-house options that probably cost less?

It's one thing to say "Don't sign Arroyo -- use that $14m to improve the offense," but that's only a good idea if there's someone out there who CAN come in and play better than the guys the team already has.
    The Reds as a team were below average for the National League in OPS at five positions this year, second, short, third, catcher, left. This is a team stat including all players who played those positions for each club.

In some cases the Reds were slightly below average. In some well below average.

As I understand your question, it is whether there is anyone affordable in all of baseball at any of these position who can improve upon these below average performances.

Yes.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-12-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Turn Off Ads?