Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Offers Thread

Re: Qualifying Offers Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/...lifying-offer/
    Also not getting offers were LHP Zach Duke; INF Cesar Izturis; LHP Manny Parra; RHP Nick Masset
    Just another example of Walt being asleep at the wheel. Probably had to have his wife wake him up in the middle of his post-Price Is Right nap to extend the qualifying offer to Choo.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

13 Free Agents Receive Qualifying Offers

By Steve Adams [November 4 at 4:19pm CST]

The deadline to extend one-year, $14.1MM qualifying offers to impending free agents has passed, and 13 players received such offers:

Carlos Beltran
    Robinson Cano
    Shin-Soo Choo
    Nelson Cruz
    Stephen Drew
    Jacoby Ellsbury
    Curtis Granderson
    Ubaldo Jimenez
    Hiroki Kuroda
    Brian McCann
    Kendrys Morales
    Mike Napoli
    Ervin Santana

Each of these 13 players will have one week to decide whether they wish to accept or reject the offer. In order to sign a player that rejects a qualifying offer, a team will have to forfeit a top draft pick. Because the first 11 picks are protected in this year's draft, the Astros, Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Mariners, Phillies, Rockies, Blue Jays and Mets will forfeit a second-round pick to sign a player who rejects a qualifying offer. All other teams will be forced to forfeit their first-round pick.

The player's former team does not receive the pick that is forfeited, but rather will receive a compensatory pick at the end of the first round. As it stands, the Yankees and Red Sox each have a chance to receive three extra first-round picks in 2014 should all three of their qualified free agents reject an offer and sign with a new team.

The 13 qualifying offers represent an increase over last offseason, when only nine players received the offer.

I'm curious as to why Stephen Drew received a qualifying offer. Surely he accepts it right?
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I'm curious as to why Stephen Drew received a qualifying offer. Surely he accepts it right?
    I heard today, someplace, that there's a lot of interest in Drew. He plays a premium position, tough to get a good shortstop who can hit.

So I think the Red Sox are gambling that somebody finds his value compelling and signs him.

"Richer" teams are in a position to gamble with $14 million.

I find it most interesting that only three pitchers got qualifying offers. My guess is that teams are reluctant to give very long term deals to pitchers. So they are more likely to take the $14 million. Just my speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    Just another example of Walt being asleep at the wheel.
    You forgot the sarcasm thing right...you never know around here?

No QO for AJ Burnett...interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    No QO for AJ Burnett...interesting.
    He claimed he'd either re-sign with the Pirates or retire, so I'm guessing the Pirates think they can re-sign him for less than $14M a year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

At the end of the day, probably the prudent move to make. Reds can't gamble too much.

But I'd also say 199 innings of 3.79 era isn't a 4/5 starter. The end of the rotation is where the Reds have gotten slaughtered in the not too distant past.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    At the end of the day, probably the prudent move to make. Reds can't gamble too much.

But I'd also say 199 innings of 3.79 era isn't a 4/5 starter. The end of the rotation is where the Reds have gotten slaughtered in the not too distant past.
    For the Reds it projects to be (health issues of the staff aside). To be clear, I never said he was a 4/5 starter league-wide, just for the Reds. Many teams would love to have him. If I was promised 200 IP 3.79 ERA...I'd have to think about it. But it's no promise.

*In terms of innings-qualified pitchers, Arroyo was 31st out of 43 in ERA, and was 41st in WAR. Being innings qualified is an achievement in of itself, but it should be noted that he was a sub-par innings-qualified guy, with arguably one of the top defenses in the league behind him. I don't know what to gather from that. 200 IP of not totally sucking is worth something, just not 14 MM.

The simple fact is that with each passing year, Bronson's risk of turning into a pumpkin runs higher. I know and agree with the thought that with his arsenal, he should age well. But, as MPH drops there just gets to be a certain point where you get hammered. Will that point be reached in 2014? Maybe...but the odds are higher of it happening next year than they were this year.

It just comes down to the question of do you want to run the risk of Bronson's pumpkin year happening when you pay him 14 MM or so...I don't.

12. Likes:

Old NDN (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    For the Reds it projects to be (health issues of the staff aside). To be clear, I never said he was a 4/5 starter league-wide, just for the Reds. Many teams would love to have him. If I was promised 200 IP 3.79 ERA...I'd have to think about it. But it's no promise.

*In terms of innings-qualified pitchers, Arroyo was 31st out of 43 in ERA, and was 41st in WAR. Being innings qualified is an achievement in of itself, but it should be noted that he was a sub-par innings-qualified guy, with arguably one of the top defenses in the league behind him. I don't know what to gather from that. 200 IP of not totally sucking is worth something, just not 14 MM.

The simple fact is that with each passing year, Bronson's risk of turning into a pumpkin runs higher. I know and agree with the thought that with his arsenal, he should age well. But, as MPH drops there just gets to be a certain point where you get hammered. Will that point be reached in 2014? Maybe...but the odds are higher of it happening next year than they were this year.

It just comes down to the question of do you want to run the risk of Bronson's pumpkin year happening when you pay him 14 MM or so...I don't.
    Yeah, like I said, that's the prudent move to make and I don't disagree with it. It is a close call though.

But your "issues of the staff aside" comment is what worries the bejesus out of me. Cueto, Latos, and Cingrani all ended the season with health issues. And once you get past the starters of Cueto, Bailey, Latos, Leake, Cingrani, and maybe Chapman, the depth of the starters the Reds have falls off a cliff.

I'll be watching the 2014 starters peeking out between my fingers that are covering my eyes and holding my breath. If 2-3 guys go down, we aren't the Cardinals who seem to have a never-ending line of 97 mph flamethrowers.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

Redeyecat (11-04-2013)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I am relieved the Reds didn't bite on Arroyo. Those of you who don't like the move, what kind of offers do you realistically think Arroyo would have received if teams had to give up millions in 2014 signing bonus money (and a high pick) in order to sign him?
    Stick to your guns.

I thought Arroyo had a pretty solid year up to that last outing when he allowed five homers to the Pirates.

In today's MLB, though, I would prefer it if the Reds didn't have both Leake and Arroyo in the rotation. They are different pitchers; but neither is a bat misser, neither throws very hard, and today I think you need power pitchers as often as possible.

I think the Mets have a good shot to sign Bronson. He's probably ready for the big City again and he always has pitched well in New York.

Now that there is no draft choice compensation, he should do pretty well in free agency. The team that offers a third year probably gets him and I'm guessing it will be the Metropolitans.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-04-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    And once you get past the starters of Cueto, Bailey, Latos, Leake, Cingrani, and maybe Chapman, the depth of the starters the Reds have falls off a cliff.
    What have the Romans ever done for us? I think I understand what you mean, though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

On Arroyo:

The toughest of those decisions came on Arroyo, who has been with the Reds since 2006. He has pitched 200 or more innings in seven of his eight seasons in Cincinnati and has been one of the more consistent pitchers on the staff.

"We thought about it quite a while," Jocketty said. "We'll still be able to attempt to try and sign him, but if he ended up accepting, it would be very tough to fit it into the budget."

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I am relieved the Reds didn't bite on Arroyo. Those of you who don't like the move, what kind of offers do you realistically think Arroyo would have received if teams had to give up millions in 2014 signing bonus money (and a high pick) in order to sign him?
    I would peg Bronson as getting about a 3 year deal in the $20-$30 million dollar range. Good pitching isn't as hard to come by as it was a few years ago, but there are still a lot of teams who could use a consistently good 200 innings guy in their rotation. The Yankees, Blue Jays, Angels, Mariners, Phillies, Mets, and Giants in the bigger markets could use him. The Rockies, Twins, and Brewers could use an upgrade over the crap they sent out to the mound last year.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?