Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Offers Thread

Re: Qualifying Offers Thread

Any word on Choo yet? Time's a tickin'

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    See, I believe that paying him 14 MM is worse than letting him walk for nothing.
    Exactly...if he accepts then that takes away from the pool of money to sign Choo. Also, like the article said, it woulda been smart for Arroyo to accept knowing that it would have hurt his value knowing a team would have to give up the 1st round pick. Could you imagine how much flack another teams GM would have recieved for basically trading a 1st round pick for Bronson...I know ours would have. I think overall it was a smart move.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Napoli, Drew, Ellsbury Receive Qualifying Offers; Saltalamacchia Does Not

By Steve Adams [November 4 at 2:10pm CST]

2:10pm: Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington has confirmed to reporters, including Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, that Napoli, Stephen Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury will receive qualifying offers (Twitter link). Saltalamacchia will not receive a qualifying offer, according to Cherington.

Ellsbury, MLBTR's No. 2 ranked free agent, was a lcok to receive and reject a qualifying offer. The other three weren't as certain, but the Red Sox now stand to receive three extra first-round picks if this trio signs elsewhere.

Drew signed a one-year, $9.5MM contract with the Red Sox looking to rebuild his value, and he did just that. The shortstop enjoyed a strong age-30 campaign, batting .255/.333/.443 with 13 homers and playing standout defense at shortsop. He seems likely to pursue a multiyear deal on the free agent market this winter and could be in line for three to four years at an average annual salary north of $10MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds did not give up Arroyo "for nothing."

The Reds got a large, valuable salary slot freed up for off-season acquisitions.

With Chapman and Cingrani, the Reds potentially have six good starters without Arroyo. They need more position players and are beginning to come up with payflex to get them.

Draft choices are nice, but Reds could not risk taking on a $14 million one-year contract in the hope of getting more picks. They will get picks when Choo goes free agent.

Bronson was an excellent Red, but this was the right call.
    Does anyone else have doubts that Chapman can start? I was all for it last year, but now question the quality and consistency of his secondary pitches. He seems more valuable in the pen.

That said, I think the Reds lack starting pitching depth. I suspect that part of the Arroyo decision was a belief that they could buy SP depth on the FA market at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Any word on Choo yet? Time's a tickin'
    With 1% of precincts reporting, kaldaniels has called this race. Choo has been given a QO.

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-04-2013),Norm Chortleton (11-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    With 1% of precincts reporting, kaldaniels has called this race. Choo has been given a QO.
    Just watch out for those hanging chads. Also, it's been reported that the Reds declined to offer Arroyo a QO.

From Jon Heyman:

Bronson Arroyo won't get a qualifying offer from the Reds, sources said.

Arroyo has been a very dependable pitcher, but his age and stuff makes that figure seem high, especially for a small-market team like the Reds.

Arroyo was 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA this past year, and has been very consistent. The Reds have a little depth in the rotation, but the real issue for them is the figure.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 11-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Choo gets qualifying offer:

Ahead of a 5 p.m. ET deadline on Monday, the Reds extended free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo a $14.1 million qualifying offer for a new one-year deal for 2014. Choo has until 5 p.m. ET on Nov. 11 to accept or decline the offer.

Should Choo reject the offer, which he is expected to do, he would be free to sign with any interested club – including the Reds.

If Choo signs with another team, Cincinnati would receive a compensation pick in the June First-Year Player Draft. All compensatory picks come between the first and second rounds, and are made in reverse order of winning percentage.

Meanwhile, a qualifying offer was not extended to free agent and longtime Reds starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo. That means the Reds get no compensation if Arroyo signs elsewhere.
    Also not getting offers were LHP Zach Duke; INF Cesar Izturis; LHP Manny Parra; RHP Nick Masset
    Source: http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/...lifying-offer/

10. Likes:

Gizmo (11-04-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Make Qualifying Offer To Choo, Not Arroyo
    By Steve Adams [November 4 at 3:22pm CST]
    3:22pm: MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports that the Reds have officially extended a qualifying offer to Shin-Soo Choo.

12. Likes:

Gizmo (11-04-2013)

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/...lifying-offer/

Choo gets qualifying offer

Ahead of a 5 p.m. ET deadline on Monday, the Reds extended free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo a $14.1 million qualifying offer for a new one-year deal for 2014. Choo has until 5 p.m. ET on Nov. 11 to accept or decline the offer.

Meanwhile, a qualifying offer was not extended to free agent and longtime Reds starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo. That means the Reds get no compensation if Arroyo signs elsewhere.
    Also not getting offers were LHP Zach Duke; INF Cesar Izturis; LHP Manny Parra; RHP Nick Masset

Not sure how this works but: Could the Reds still sign Arroyo for a lesser amount if he doesn't get what he wants on the open market?

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Not sure how this works but: Could the Reds still sign Arroyo for a lesser amount if he doesn't get what he wants on the open market?
    yes
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    That's exactly right, though probably unlikely unfortunately.

Wait they didn't give a QO to Izturis? Are they mad?

18. Likes:

REDREAD (11-04-2013),Tom Servo (11-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Paying around 14 mill for one year wouldn't be ideal, but it's not a killer either. What is a killer and seeing him walk and getting nothing for him.
    I would've given Arroyo a QO too.

I almost wonder.. Arroyo has been a Red a long time.
    Perhaps the Reds wanted to let Arroyo go into FA uninhibited by the draft pick as a way of thanking him.

It would've been nice to get a draft pick for Arroyo, but I guess I'm not going to agonize too much over it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

20. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (11-04-2013)

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I would've given Arroyo a QO too.

I almost wonder.. Arroyo has been a Red a long time.
    Perhaps the Reds wanted to let Arroyo go into FA uninhibited by the draft pick as a way of thanking him.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-05-2013),Redeyecat (11-04-2013),redsmetz (11-04-2013)

Turn Off Ads?