Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Peterson loses his son

Re: Adrian Peterson loses his son

The people making excuses for AP are the people who place professional athletes on a pedestal, regardless of their character. If we were talking about the same scenario, but with some unheard of nobody instead of a star running back, no one would be defending his behavior.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The part I don't understand is how not knowing you have a child is some sort of excuse?
    An excuse for what?

5. Likes:

Chip R (10-15-2013)

The part I don't understand is how not knowing you have a child is some sort of excuse?
    Excuse for what? I'm not sure I'm following you. My point is that it's different for him losing that son than if he'd have lost Adrian Jr who's also 2.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

A few comments, directed at no one in particular:

1. I'm not a fan of Adrian Peterson.
    2. I don't approve of the have-kids-out-of-wedlock culture.
    3. I don't do the hero-worship thing.
    4. I especially don't think it's some heroic thing to play football right after a tragedy, as opposed to other things like "be with your family."
    5. Nonetheless, that was one of the worst articles I've ever read. Par for the course with Mushnick, apparently.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The people making excuses for AP are the people who place professional athletes on a pedestal, regardless of their character. If we were talking about the same scenario, but with some unheard of nobody instead of a star running back, no one would be defending his behavior.
    You seem to know a lot about people you don't know. I am anything but what you describe, and I'm not making excuses for him. But there's little that's known publicly about the situation. I'm not a judge first, ask questions later. Who knows, AP may be a bad guy. He may not be. But there's certainly nothing that's been reported from this situation that would make me conclude he's a bad human being.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't understand the judgmental tone. It is fairly obvious that AD is figuring out how to be a good father - and he is still working on it. He did not have an easy example from his father to follow.
    But I know that being a father is difficult for a lot of men. I see a lot of kids (especially boys) my son's age (5) who are not close to dads who are distant emotionally, or travel a lot or just don't spend a lot of time with their family. Our country is full of kids whose fathers were distant or even non-existent when they were young. It is not something to judge, it is a sad fact of life in the USA.

(quote from Smoke signals by Sherman Alexie)

How do we forgive our fathers, maybe in a dream?
    Do we forgive our fathers for leaving us to often, or forever, when we were little?
    Maybe for scaring us with unexpected rage, or making us nervous, because there never seemed to be any rage there at all.
    Do we forgive our fathers for marrying, or not marrying our mothers, for divorcing, or not divorcing our mothers?
    And shall we forgive them for their excesses of warmth or coldness?
    Shall we forgive them for pushing or leaning, for shutting doors, for speaking through walls, or never speaking, or never being silent?

Do we forgive our fathers in our age or in theirs?
    Or in their deaths, saying it to them, or not saying it?
    If we forgive our fathers what is left?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    You seem to know a lot about people you don't know. I am anything but what you describe, and I'm not making excuses for him. But there's little that's known publicly about the situation. I'm not a judge first, ask questions later. Who knows, AP may be a bad guy. He may not be. But there's certainly nothing that's been reported from this situation that would make me conclude he's a bad human being.
    I wasn't referring to you, or any one person in particular, but what I see all the time on message boards.

Just in the past couple months ... when Michael Porter was sentenced to prison for statutory rape, I saw a couple UK fans defend him by saying the 14-year old girl "should have known better". When Deandre Liggins was charged with seven felonies for beating his girlfriend in front of their child, some posters excused it as him just making "a mistake and needing to learn from it". When Pac Man Jones had his latest run-in with the police, it was excused because he wasn't actually arrested this time. In all of these cases, if it was Joe Schmo instead of an athlete, no one would be defending them or making excuses for them.

I'm seeing the same excuse-making for Adrian Peterson, just because he's Adrian Peterson. I've raised my kids on my own, without their mom in the picture. I take parenting seriously and have zero respect for fathers who don't. The first couple days, I saw hundreds of tweets from people sympathizing with Adrian Peterson, but far fewer tweets about the child who died. Funny how all those sympathizing with AP have disappeared now that the rest of the story has come out.

As for the judging first, asking questions later thing, it's not that at all. It's just having an opinion. In some cases the picture is pretty clear right away. When it isn't clear, I wait to form an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    A few comments, directed at no one in particular:

1. I'm not a fan of Adrian Peterson.
    2. I don't approve of the have-kids-out-of-wedlock culture.
    3. I don't do the hero-worship thing.
    4. I especially don't think it's some heroic thing to play football right after a tragedy, as opposed to other things like "be with your family."
    5. Nonetheless, that was one of the worst articles I've ever read. Par for the course with Mushnick, apparently.
    This is exactly where I am as well. Thanks for having the perfect words, as always, IslandRed.

For those who asked, by excuse I meant I do not understand why Peterson is free from all responsibility for the child simply because he didn't know it existed...

For those who asked, by excuse I meant I do not understand why Peterson is free from all responsibility for the child simply because he didn't know it existed...
    So he should have been paying child support to a woman who, unbeknownst to him, had his child? Does that mean every time a guy has sex with a woman he should start paying her child support just in case he gets her pregnant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-16-2013),The Operator (10-17-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

I think AP oughta buy stronger condoms or perhaps just use condoms. Maybe he is too young to know about a once famous hoops player named Magic Johnson, a once known NASCAR driver named Tim Richmond or former WBO heavyweight boxing champion Tommy Morrison. Or maybe AP does not care and is letting the wrong part of his body do the thinking (ding-ding!).

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So he should have been paying child support to a woman who, unbeknownst to him, had his child? Does that mean every time a guy has sex with a woman he should start paying her child support just in case he gets her pregnant?
    There are consequences of unprotected sex. I have no moral qualms with one night stands, but I do have a problem with athletes who have children all over the country and are completely unaware of their existence...

17. Likes:

Sea Ray (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I think AP oughta buy stronger condoms or perhaps just use condoms. Maybe he is too young to know about a once famous hoops player named Magic Johnson, a once known NASCAR driver named Tim Richmond or former WBO heavyweight boxing champion Tommy Morrison. Or maybe AP does not care and is letting the wrong part of his body do the thinking (ding-ding!).
    Or perhaps he was told by the child's mother that she was "safe" both from HIV and from getting pregnant and she either was mistaken or lied. Or the condom broke. Or birth control failed. It's easy to judge when you don't know the whole story. Why is Peterson any different than Joe Couchpotato who has several kids by women who aren't married to him? And why is it such a bad thing that he has fathered a couple of kids? If he's supporting them financially, he's living up to his responsibilities. Doesn't this woman deserve any blame for deciding to date the man who allegedly killed the child?

There are consequences of unprotected sex. I have no moral qualms with one night stands, but I do have a problem with athletes who have children all over the country and are completely unaware of their existence...
    Of course there are but if they are unaware of the existence of these children, why should we have a problem with it?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Or perhaps he was told by the child's mother that she was "safe" both from HIV and from getting pregnant and she either was mistaken or lied. Or the condom broke. Or birth control failed. It's easy to judge when you don't know the whole story. Why is Peterson any different than Joe Couchpotato who has several kids by women who aren't married to him? And why is it such a bad thing that he has fathered a couple of kids? If he's supporting them financially, he's living up to his responsibilities. Doesn't this woman deserve any blame for deciding to date the man who allegedly killed the child?

Of course there are but if they are unaware of the existence of these children, why should we have a problem with it?
    Just gonna throw this out there: I'm a young guy so I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on this subject. I find it interesting and I might just learn some perspective. That said, here's what I'm thinking:

• Doesn't a father have more responsibility to their child than just financial support?

AND

• You are right that we do not know all of the facts, but for the sake of continuing this discussion since we will *never* have all of the facts about anything we discuss here on RedsZone, lets just assume this child was the result of unprotected sex. Is having unprotected sex with one night stands across the country responsible behavior that elicits no criticism?

Just gonna throw this out there: I'm a young guy so I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on this subject. I find it interesting and I might just learn some perspective. That said, here's what I'm thinking:

• Doesn't a father have more responsibility to their child than just financial support?

Perhaps but I suppose that's between the father, the mother and their child. Should someone like Peterson retire from football and spend all his time with his children? If he - or any other athlete - has more than one child and they reside in different states, how is he going to spend more time with those children and still have a career?

You are right that we do not know all of the facts, but for the sake of continuing this discussion since we will *never* have all of the facts about anything we discuss here on RedsZone, lets just assume this child was the result of unprotected sex. Is having unprotected sex with one night stands across the country responsible behavior that elicits no criticism?
    If it was Joe Couchpotato and he was a friend of yours, would you have the same reaction? Or would you think he was some kind of stud? But going further than that, to some people - including those who are of the Catholic faith - protected sex is a sin. What is the greater sin, having unprotected sex or doing something that goes against your religious beliefs?

Also, how does having one night stands across the country hurt anyone? Doesn't the woman bear some responsibility as well? If she wasn't raped, it was ultimately her decision to have unprotected sex. Do men always have to be the ones responsible for birth control?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Should someone like Peterson retire from football and spend all his time with his children? If he - or any other athlete - has more than one child and they reside in different states, how is he going to spend more time with those children and still have a career?
    Wow.

If it was Joe Couchpotato and he was a friend of yours, would you have the same reaction? Or would you think he was some kind of stud? But going further than that, to some people - including those who are of the Catholic faith - protected sex is a sin. What is the greater sin, having unprotected sex or doing something that goes against your religious beliefs?
    Just shaking my head.

Also, how does having one night stands across the country hurt anyone? Doesn't the woman bear some responsibility as well? If she wasn't raped, it was ultimately her decision to have unprotected sex. Do men always have to be the ones responsible for birth control?
    Being a man involves being mature and responsible in a lot of ways. Whether it's Joe Schmo or Adrian Peterson, it's totally irresponsible to have kids in multiple states with multiple women, and completely inexcusable to have a child you've never met. He doesn't have the excuse of working a 9-5 job, not being able to get a day off, or not having the finances to visit the child. He knew about this kid for three months and made no effort to even meet him.

It's ridiculous for anyone to try to excuse this kind of behavior, whether it's Joe Schmo or Adrian Peterson. And yes, the women involved are just as guilty as the "men" are -- not that I consider anyone in this story a real man. I wonder how many of you guys making excuses for Adrian Peterson, are fathers yourselves?

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-17-2013),jimbo (10-17-2013),VottoFan54 (10-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?