Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Wally Bell

RIP Wally Bell

The 48 year old umpire just passed away after having a heart attack. A pretty decent ump who wasn't arrogant like so many of them are.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-16-2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: to fix a mis statement

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Wally Bell

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    The 48 year old umpire just passed away after having a heart attack. A pretty decent ump who was arrogant like so many of them are.
    Pretty cold don't ya think man. The guy just passed away and you're digging on him...poor taste my friend!!!

5. Likes:

919191 (10-16-2013),George Anderson (10-15-2013),HotCorner (10-15-2013),Larkin Fan (10-15-2013),Number_Fourteen (10-15-2013),RedEye (10-15-2013),Roy Tucker (10-15-2013),westofyou (10-15-2013)

Here's a link from MLB. Bell had bypass surgery in 1999. He had just worked the Cardinal/Pirate series and may have worked the World Series. Was most likely in line to be a crew chief in the near future. I don't remember a lot about him which means he was probably a good umpire. You see these guys everyday during the season. You may have beefs with their calls from time to time but it still saddens me when you hear about one of them passing. He was really young too, just 48. Two years younger than me. RIP Wally Bell.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I am thinking I saw him have to leave a Reds game this season.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Far too young to die. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Pretty cold don't ya think man. The guy just passed away and you're digging on him...poor taste my friend!!!
    Pretty sure he meant to say "wasn't". But maybe you know that, and I'm the one not getting it.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

10. Likes:

Ironman92 (10-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    It was a bad error on my part....I meant to type that wasn't arrogant.

I'm not like that and it was a mistake....Bell was a jovial ump that wasn't arrogant at all.....many umps are and I hate that.

RIP Wally

12. Likes:

919191 (10-16-2013),Always Red (10-16-2013),dubc47834 (10-16-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-16-2013),Larkin Fan (10-17-2013),marcshoe (10-16-2013),OnBaseMachine (10-16-2013),reds1869 (10-15-2013),Revering4Blue (10-15-2013),westofyou (10-15-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-15-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I'm not like that and it was a mistake....Bell was a jovial ump that wasn't arrogant at all.....many umps are and I hate that.

RIP Wally
    Bump just so this can be cleared up

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I am thinking I saw him have to leave a Reds game this season.
    might've been Brian O'Nora
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Tre View Post
    might've been Brian O'Nora
    Yep, this game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...recap/2754339/.

RIP Wally Bell. I always thought he was a pretty good umpire.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

48 is too young to die. Rest in peace.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

even if I thought he was the worst umpire in the history of the Game, i'd feel this same level of sorrow and sympathy.

RIP Mr. Bell, and peace and happiness to those you leave behind. may your spirit rest well, and your memory live in those you influenced.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here's a link from MLB. Bell had bypass surgery in 1999. He had just worked the Cardinal/Pirate series and may have worked the World Series. Was most likely in line to be a crew chief in the near future. I don't remember a lot about him which means he was probably a good umpire. You see these guys everyday during the season. You may have beefs with their calls from time to time but it still saddens me when you hear about one of them passing. He was really young too, just 48. Two years younger than me. RIP Wally Bell.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
    If he had a bypass in 1999, he was only 34 then. Dang. That's too young to have a bad ticker.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

RIP Wally
    All good man...we all make mistakes...

Turn Off Ads?