Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paul O'Neill's popularity

Re: Paul O'Neill's popularity

I'd love for O'Neill to join the Reds organization, maybe as hitting coach. But not sure I want him managing this team. I want someone with some coaching, dugout experience.

I saw Paul's first AA AB back in 1983 in Waterbury. He got a hit, and he was one of favorite players since then. Btw, during the game, I sat next to the Waterbury catcher, who was injured at the time, Dave Miley.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would take O'Neill over Riggleman but I would take Lane Kiffin before I took Riggleman.

I hope the Reds are looking at more candidates than just Riggleman, Price and O'Neill. There hasta be better out there.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

4. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-12-2013),Razor Shines (10-14-2013),Roy Tucker (10-12-2013),The Operator (10-13-2013),Tom Servo (10-12-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I liked O'Neill the player well enough. I'm not sure what he brings to the table as a managerial candidate, though. Could someone fill me in on why he'd be a better candidate than, say Dave Martinez or even Jim Riggleman? (This is a serious question, I really don't know anything about PO's qualifications.)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I liked O'Neill the player well enough. I'm not sure what he brings to the table as a managerial candidate, though. Could someone fill me in on why he'd be a better candidate than, say Dave Martinez or even Jim Riggleman? (This is a serious question, I really don't know anything about PO's qualifications.)
    Im not endorsing O'Neill but when compared to Riggleman I would gamble on someone such as him who has no record as opposed to someone like Riggleman who has a weak record.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

I assumed when he was traded to New York that he would get eaten alive. Instead? He thrived, as you note. .
    Same here. I like Paul because he proved me so wrong. Never thought he could handle NY.

I was never a fan, felt he drifted to balls in the outfield and was average at best defensively and he was so streaky as a Red he drove me crazy. I was happy when we dealt him away.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I like O'Neill, but I really don't think he has the temperament to be a good manager.

He used to go absolutely bonkers every time he struck out or made a bad play. He's not the guy I would want trying to guide a team through the ups and downs of a 162 game regular season. A manager has to be able to maintain his composure and not lose his head every time something goes wrong. Even 'fiery' managers like Lou Pinella only go off a few times per season. With O'Neill it would be a weekly occurrence.
    I want them to hire Price, but I wouldn't read that much into Paul's temperment as a player when talking about today. He's probably mellowed as he's aged, just like most people do.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 10-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.

I like him because he is the only player in MLB history to keep a runner from scoring from 2nd on a hit by getting ticked and kicking the ball in to the infield.

11. Likes:

cincinnati chili (10-13-2013),Degenerate39 (10-14-2013),Falcon7 (10-12-2013),Razor Shines (10-14-2013),texasdave (10-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Five reasons one for each finger. Totally stepped up his game under the bright lights. Among Yankee fans, O'Neill is a legend. From outside the organization but has roots in the organization and the City. Smart, young, knows how to win.
    Do you want to roll the dice when Price is probably a safer choice? Don't know.
    It is crazy how beloved Paul is in NYC. Being in the booth has certainly aided in that, but I feel like I hear more about Paul than any other ex-Yankee since him who hasn't already retired. Even more than Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It is crazy how beloved Paul is in NYC. Being in the booth has certainly aided in that, but I feel like I hear more about Paul than any other ex-Yankee since him who hasn't already retired. Even more than Bernie.
    I've got a business acquaintance who's a big Yankee fan. I see him about once a month and he always says the same thing: "Thank you for Paul O'Neill". I bring up 1976.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Some Yankees are overrated. Not O'Neill. I can see why he is beloved in NYC. His run from 1993-1998 was outstanding. If you saw that coming as a Reds fan, good for you. I sure didn't.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Some Yankees are overrated. Not O'Neill. I can see why he is beloved in NYC. His run from 1993-1998 was outstanding. If you saw that coming as a Reds fan, good for you. I sure didn't.
    Never said he was overrated. It just surprises me a little bit that he receives more attention locally than lifelong Yankee Bernie Williams does. Bernie did have a slightly better career and retired several years after Paul. Perhaps the very poor ending to Williams' career has had something to do with it.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 10-13-2013 at 12:43 AM.

I always liked O'Neill because the back of this uniform read "One ill".

Oh, and he could hit.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Never said he was overrated. It just surprises me a little bit that he receives more attention locally than lifelong Yankee Bernie Williams does. Bernie did have a slightly better career and retired several years after Paul. Perhaps the very poor ending to Williams' career has had something to do with it.
    No, I got it. I didn't see your point as critical of him. Also, I think Bernie is a Hall of Famer even though it will probably never happen.
    Stick to your guns.

Everybody has skipped over the obvious. He was a starter on the 1990 team. Everything else is secondary. That he was a native Ohioan with a temper was the cherry on top. You may recall Cincy fans have a predilection for that type...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

19. Likes:

Big Klu (10-13-2013),The Operator (10-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?