Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul O'Neill's popularity

Paul O'Neill's popularity

Why is Paul O'Neill so popular with Reds fans? He was average at best never hitting more than 28 home runs or putting an ops of higher than.827 which are good but not legendary.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: Paul O'Neill's popularity

There was a feeling he was misused in Cincinnati as a platoon player, then he went to the Yankees and really developed. He also has strong Ohio roots.

Paul had that fiery disposition and intensity that fans love. The same reason Yankee fans love him so much. Statistically he pales compared to other Yankee greats but he has that intensity that plays really well to a fan base. Plus, other players seemed to gravitate to him for that indefinable leadership thing that gets knocked so much. Some guys get that label whether you believe in it or not. O'Neill was one of those.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

5. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (10-12-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I remember him as an incredibly streaky hitter with the Reds, not unlike Jay Bruce. Torrid hot streaks at the plate, followed by weeks where he disappeared from the box score.

IIRC, he's from the Columbus area. When I was in college there, he used to come by the campus and work out during the offseason. I remember some of the players on my college's team being impressed when he gave them some of his extra equipment.
    /r/reds

I like O'Neill, but I really don't think he has the temperament to be a good manager.

He used to go absolutely bonkers every time he struck out or made a bad play. He's not the guy I would want trying to guide a team through the ups and downs of a 162 game regular season. A manager has to be able to maintain his composure and not lose his head every time something goes wrong. Even 'fiery' managers like Lou Pinella only go off a few times per season. With O'Neill it would be a weekly occurrence.

8. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-12-2013),malcontent (10-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I like O'Neill, but I really don't think he has the temperament to be a good manager.

He used to go absolutely bonkers every time he struck out or made a bad play. He's not the guy I would want trying to guide a team through the ups and downs of a 162 game regular season. A manager has to be able to maintain his composure and not lose his head every time something goes wrong. Even 'fiery' managers like Lou Pinella only go off a few times per season. With O'Neill it would be a weekly occurrence.
    Billy Martin says hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post

With Piniella the player, it was a daily occurrence. Could be wrong here, but I think O'Neill the manager, might have more control than O'Neill the player. Point is, I don't see him as Larry Bowa II, per se. How good he'd be as a manager, is anybody's guess.

Maybe it's just that after 5 years of Dusty Reds' fans remember fondly how nobody could beat up a plastic bucket of Gatorade like Paul after striking out.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Billy Martin says hi!
    And he said bye even more, fired from every gig he ever took

13. Likes:

cincinnati chili (10-13-2013)

I hope they hire him and then Kal Daniels as hitting coach and Sabo as bench coach. Maybe they can get Billy Bates to dress up as Mr. Red too!

15. Likes:

cincinnati chili (10-13-2013),hebroncougar (10-12-2013),Larkin Fan (10-12-2013),Razor Shines (10-14-2013),Roy Tucker (10-12-2013),The Operator (10-13-2013),toledodan (10-12-2013)

Five reasons one for each finger. Totally stepped up his game under the bright lights. Among Yankee fans, O'Neill is a legend. From outside the organization but has roots in the organization and the City. Smart, young, knows how to win.
    Do you want to roll the dice when Price is probably a safer choice? Don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I hope they hire him and then Kal Daniels as hitting coach and Sabo as bench coach. Maybe they can get Billy Bates to dress up as Mr. Red too!
    I have a feeling Billy would take that job, if offered.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Let's not forget swag coach. Eric Davis would fit nicely.

I love the idea of hiring O'Neill as manager. I also thought he was misused as a player in Cincinnati and hated the trade that was made with the Yankees for Roberto. Plus this could give us a different type of manager argument...Lou threw bases...We could see O'Neill yell at an umpire and then punt the helmet into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Five reasons one for each finger. Totally stepped up his game under the bright lights. Among Yankee fans, O'Neill is a legend. From outside the organization but has roots in the organization and the City. Smart, young, knows how to win.
    Do you want to roll the dice when Price is probably a safer choice? Don't know.
    First, I've been talking Price as the future manager after Dusty left for a long time. That's really just an aside - but my first choice would be him.

That said, you pretty much nail O'Neill. I assumed when he was traded to New York that he would get eaten alive. Instead? He thrived, as you note. I remember reading towards the end of his career that he was among the top 5 Yankees in some category for right-handed hitters and was surprised. I'm sorry I can't remember what it was, but it clearly showed he was among some of the pantheon of good hitters for that team. He really found a home in NYC and became a star there. I wish he could have been that here.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

21. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-12-2013)

Turn Off Ads?