Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paul O'Neill's popularity

Re: Paul O'Neill's popularity

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    O'Neill was an average player for the Reds.

Goes to New York and he's suddenly a baseball deity.

That's why I don't like him. He never showed anything like that here....i'm not sure how he could have been misused, he had plenty of at bats and didn't do much with them.
    Granted I was but a wee lad when it all went down, but from what I've read and what I can recall - management (and I'm sure the poofy-haired guy in the booth beat the drum pretty loudly) wanted him to be more of a power hitter and drive in more runs.

Sounds so eerily familiar.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    I wasn't crazy about either Jones or O'Neil. I was a Kal Daniels guy.

Although, I do think Paul O'Neil would be a good candidate to at least talk to about a managing job. I have no clue if he would be a good manager, but I think he is worth talking to about the possibilities.
    Jones was good, had some pop and was so fast. Kal could hit that's for sure, the Reds were flush with good outfielders then.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Granted I was but a wee lad when it all went down, but from what I've read and what I can recall - management (and I'm sure the poofy-haired guy in the booth beat the drum pretty loudly) wanted him to be more of a power hitter and drive in more runs.

Sounds so eerily familiar.
    I do think it's possible O'Neill could be a sympathetic ear to Bruce and Votto, since there is overlap between their negative experiences as Reds hitters and his. It's just not clear whether he's wired to lead that way.

OTOH, it's very clear that some folks in Reds Country hope he isn't. They're looking for a manager who will goad the team to wins by rattling cages, knocking heads and throwing things. There's a reason that it's hard to think of examples of contemporary managers who motivate that way. The current generation of ballplayers isn't impressed by these techniques.
    /r/reds

5. Likes:

marcshoe (10-13-2013), The Operator (10-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Jones was good, had some pop and was so fast. Kal could hit that's for sure, the Reds were flush with good outfielders then.
    Yes they did, Kal had a crazy obp. He just had so many knee problems.

Do we have any idea what O'Neill's take on statistical approaches might be? Anyone listen to him as a commentator enough to know?

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Do we have any idea what O'Neill's take on statistical approaches might be? Anyone listen to him as a commentator enough to know?
    David Cone has been the SABR guy in the Yankees booth. I don't think O'Neill has said much either way about.

9. Likes:

RedEye (10-13-2013)

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I remember him as an incredibly streaky hitter with the Reds, not unlike Jay Bruce. Torrid hot streaks at the plate, followed by weeks where he disappeared from the box score.

IIRC, he's from the Columbus area. When I was in college there, he used to come by the campus and work out during the offseason. I remember some of the players on my college's team being impressed when he gave them some of his extra equipment.
    Yes, Bruce is Cincy O'Neill's doppelgänger. Good call. Don't know why I never made the connection.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I'm intrigued by the idea of O'Neill, but I have no idea what kind of manager he'd be. That said, I think it's a stretch for this particular time and this particular team.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I'm intrigued by the idea of O'Neill, but I have no idea what kind of manager he'd be. That said, I think it's a stretch for this particular time and this particular team.
    Yeah, there are times in the life of a franchise to try a young, inexperienced, fiery manager with potential. Not sure the 2014 Reds are one of those though.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    O'Neill was an average player for the Reds.

Goes to New York and he's suddenly a baseball deity.

That's why I don't like him. He never showed anything like that here....i'm not sure how he could have been misused, he had plenty of at bats and didn't do much with them.
    In fairness, he was just hitting the prime age of his career when he got to NY. And had GABP already been around, his numbers probably would have looked a lot better in Cincinnati.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    David Cone has been the SABR guy in the Yankees booth. I don't think O'Neill has said much either way about.
    Yup, that has been my takeaway thus far too.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    In fairness, he was just hitting the prime age of his career when he got to NY. And had GABP already been around, his numbers probably would have looked a lot better in Cincinnati.
    He was better in New York, but not as much as people think. Yankee Stadium helped.

OPS+ in Cin-111
    In NY-125. (Which included one monster career year of 177)
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/4/14. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I am not endorsing him for manager, but I thought he was made a scape-goat here and should not have been. Part of it from booth, part of it from the manager's office, fans picked up on it. Was so happy for him he got away from here and ended up thriving, shockingly in NYC where we all assumed the pressure would get to him.

In my mind's eye, I can still see the throw he unleashed from RF to nail, I think, Bonilla, at 3b in one of the early 1990 NLCS games. Awesome baseball.
    Had a great playoff against the Pirates offensively as well: 8 for 17 with 3 doubles and a HR.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 10-13-2013 at 10:59 PM.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    He was better in New York, but not as much as people think. Yankee Stadium helped.

OPS+ in Cin-111
    In NY-125. (Which included one monster career year of 177)
    For those who didn't see O'Neill play, those numbers are going to be misleading. O'Neill had his best years in the steroid era when the mean OPS jumped overnight. He went from a middling-to-good hitter with a great arm to a very good hitter instantly upon arriving in New York. Then he was an elite hitter for a while.

And I was happy for him. He didn't leave the Reds in free agency, he was traded away for Roberto Kelly. He was my biggest reason to want the Yanks to win in '96... his link to the Reds. Remember, at that time, people didn't perceive the Yanks as the dynasty they are now. The perception was that Steinbrenner had run them into the ground and the Braves seemingly had become baseball's elite franchise.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    For those who didn't see O'Neill play, those numbers are going to be misleading. O'Neill had his best years in the steroid era when the mean OPS jumped overnight. He went from a middling-to-good hitter with a great arm to a very good hitter instantly upon arriving in New York. Then he was an elite hitter for a while.

And I was happy for him. He didn't leave the Reds in free agency, he was traded away for Roberto Kelly. He was my biggest reason to want the Yanks to win in '96... his link to the Reds. Remember, at that time, people didn't perceive the Yanks as the dynasty they are now. The perception was that Steinbrenner had run them into the ground and the Braves seemingly had become baseball's elite franchise.
    So, you don't think playing in that offensive environment helped his numbers? Even if a steroid was never touched offense was going to rise in that era. DOUBLE expansion. So even if a guy was clean, and we don't know who was or wasn't, it still changes the context of those numbers, right?

All that notwithstanding, I always rooted for Paulie too.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/4/14. I promise.

Turn Off Ads?