Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oakland A's lack of playoff success

Oakland A's lack of playoff success

I am wondering if Billy Beane gets a hard time from media/fans for the A's lack of play off success? One series win in the divisional round during his tenure isn't very impressive.

We as Reds fans ran Dusty out of town for failing to win a series in 6 years, I know it's in different roles but it seems like Beane gets a pass and is held in certain circles as a genius but Dusty is hailed as being of below average intelligence and a failure.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-13-2013),REDREAD (10-12-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oakland A's lack of playoff success

What am I missing? Dusty is a manager, Beane is a GM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It's not an apples to apples comparison but IMHO Beane has done a good job maximizing his resources and Baker didn't.

[QUOTE=MWM;2990335]What am I missing? Dusty is a manager, Beane is a GM.[/

Should have compared franchises. It just seems like most chalk up the A's lack of play off success with bad match up but the Reds get railed by the fans/media for their lack of success.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

A's have overachieve with the money they have to work with.

Reds have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball, above average payroll and All Star caliber players at 1st, 2nd and RF.

The situations are different, but Beane shouldn't be shielded from criticism. And I think even he would agree with that. It's not like he keeps getting close to the World Series and just had bad luck. The A's have won one playoff series during his tenure,
    Last edited by 757690; 10-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

edabbs44 (10-12-2013)

In my opinion Billy Beane has done a tremendous job, especially considering the limited resources of his franchise.

Dusty Baker did an OK job here in Cincinnati. His team outperformed expectations in 2010 and 2012, but drastically underperformed in 2011 and had a disappointing 2013 as well.

The General Manager of a team is much more important to a franchise than the Manager is. The GM is a long-term position and requires much more stability and forward thinking, whereas managers can be switched out frequently whenever necessary.

11. Likes:

757690 (10-12-2013),RedEye (10-12-2013),villain612 (10-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    In my opinion Billy Beane has done a tremendous job, especially considering the limited resources of his franchise.

Dusty Baker did an OK job here in Cincinnati. His team outperformed expectations in 2010 and 2012, but drastically underperformed in 2011 and had a disappointing 2013 as well.

The General Manager of a team is much more important to a franchise than the Manager is. The GM is a long-term position and requires much more stability and forward thinking, whereas managers can be switched out frequently whenever necessary.
    Agree with everything you said...

Oakland is in the bottom five of salaries #27, & revenues, amazing what that guy has done with what he has..

13. Likes:

villain612 (10-14-2013)

-The Insider-

At least they had a cool movie made about their post-season un-success.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-12-2013)

The A's really have no business having the success they have. A $60 MM payroll and a roster that turns over pretty regularly.

Not the same situations.

17. Likes:

joshua (10-13-2013)

People like Billy Beane's system of using stats.

There's many situations in life where if we agree with the person, we as humans tend to judge that person less harshly.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    People like Billy Beane's system of using stats.

There's many situations in life where if we agree with the person, we as humans tend to judge that person less harshly.
    That's a pretty inaccurate way to describe Beane, and a very subtle jab at more analytical type fans. I wouldn't describe Billy Beane simply as someone who "uses stats". Billy Beane is like the really smart hedge fund manager always looking for market inefficiencies he can take advantage of. Once upon a time, using statistical analysis was a way for him to gain a better understanding of the market than richer organizations. Now everyone is doing it (largely because of how successful he was at employing such tactics).

For those who think Beane is some kind of computer nerd who makes decisions based on numbers, you should spend some time watching interviews with him, reading things he says, etc.... He's actually an incredibly intelligent, atrculate person with strong critical thinking abilities. He's far from the stereotype that was created based on Moneyball and is still believed by many. I think a lot of folks would be surprised if they learned more about him. He's a guy who would be very successful in any number of career paths.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

20. Likes:

mbgrayson (10-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    That's a pretty inaccurate way to describe Beane, and a very subtle jab at more analytical type fans. I wouldn't describe Billy Beane simply as someone who "uses stats". Billy Beane is like the really smart hedge fund manager always looking for market inefficiencies he can take advantage of. Once upon a time, using statistical analysis was a way for him to gain a better understanding of the market than richer organizations. Now everyone is doing it (largely because of how successful he was at employing such tactics).

For those who think Beane is some kind of computer nerd who makes decisions based on numbers, you should spend some time watching interviews with him, reading things he says, etc.... He's actually an incredibly intelligent, atrculate person with strong critical thinking abilities. He's far from the stereotype that was created based on Moneyball and is still believed by many. I think a lot of folks would be surprised if they learned more about him. He's a guy who would be very successful in any number of career paths.
    Beane's A's these last few years have been far from a sabermatrician's dream team. Cespedes, Lowrie, Reddick, and a low K pitching staff do not fit the early moneyball philosophy.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

F-L-U-K-E. I read something about the A's only winning one playoff game when they faced elimination since the middle of the 1970s.

Beans shouldn't get one scintilla of blame for that. Playoffs are a crapshoot. Especially now that 1/3 of MLB teams make the playoffs, the best team usually doesn't win.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Beane's A's these last few years have been far from a sabermatrician's dream team. Cespedes, Lowrie, Reddick, and a low K pitching staff do not fit the early moneyball philosophy.
    You do understand that any philosophy has multiple facets, correct?

Beane is given peanuts to work with and produced a team that was third in the AL in runs scored and 2nd in MLB in Defensive Efficiency rating. You think both those things just happened by accident?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?