Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oakland A's lack of playoff success

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Oakland A's lack of playoff success

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Beane's A's these last few years have been far from a sabermatrician's dream team. Cespedes, Lowrie, Reddick, and a low K pitching staff do not fit the early moneyball philosophy.
    The moneyball philosophy is to seek value where it is being undervalued.

By definition that may well change over time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    That's a pretty inaccurate way to describe Beane, and a very subtle jab at more analytical type fans. I wouldn't describe Billy Beane simply as someone who "uses stats".
    Ok I was simplifying when I said "uses stats".
    But the point still stands. I lot of people like Beane's system.
    People tend to criticize people less when they like them.
    It's universal across human nature. Notice how a lot of people will complain about the president a lot more when it's not their political party, but overlook things when "their" president is in office?

What's ironic is that the Reds have made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years (but not advanced), and the fanbase is restless. The A's have been through several burn and rebuild cycles and Beane is considered a genius.
    Now, I agree Beane is smart, but can you imagine if another GM (not Walt) was hired when Wayne left.. and his first course of action was to decide the Reds weren't close to contending and to trade off Bruce, Harang, Arroyo, and everyone else that was making more than minimum salary? That would be emotionally taxing.

Beane is a bright guy, but I think his system gives him a lot of support (at least on this board).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I still, for the life of me, don't get the argument that the Reds "choked" last year. .
    I agree losing a series 3-2 is not a joke (2012). Sure, it was frustrating, but the Reds came really close to knocking out the eventual champion.

If the A's are getting the benefit of the "crapshoot" argument, then you have to give the 2013 Reds a pass on the one card wildcard game too. Now granted, I was also annoyed by the team appearing to be emotionally flat at the end of the season.

2010 was the Reds first year in the playoffs. They had to face the juggernaut Phillies. I don't get upset over that one either.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-14-2013)

Turn Off Ads?