Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple trade ideas

Re: A couple trade ideas

The 3rd trade is the only one that's terribly unrealistic IMO.

The first two are reasonably fair to both sides and somewhat plausible, and I would do either or both if I were the Reds.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

757690 (10-13-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

1.) I think the first one is a stretch, but definitely doable. As long as the Dodgers miss out on the Cano signing, they will want a 2B. This way we can unload our untradeable contract as can the Dodgers, just like Erardi's article on Friday suggests we could do. I think that Either is defintely a more attractive choice given his contract and healthy. However, Kemp offers us a power righty bat and he brings the talent of an MVP caliber player. Yes, he has healthy issues and it is a chance with his contract, but most teams have insurance on these kinds of things so I do not think it will hamper the Reds too badly if he is hurt. Also, with the money given to us and BP and Ludwick gone, we could give Choo a nice offer, making Hamilton our 4th OF which would be huge.

2.) I definitely think this deal has to be done. I think that Homer wants out of here and Texas would be an obvious place for him to go. Texas has Profar blocked and they want power bats. Soto struggled in the majors, but his minor numbers look promising this past year. I do not know anything about Scheppers so I will not comment on that.

3.) I think this is bad for the Reds. We are already thin because of Homer trade and I think Chapman is the next logical choice to move to SP. Not only that, but you are also trading away Corcino who despite a bad year, is probably our most MLB ready prospect which we would definitely need with Cueto, Cingrani, and Chapman all in rotation. Price also has health concerns, not to mention that his price is probably a lot higher than Chapman's.

Although a Price manager and Price SP would make for good promos!
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Just looked at the salaries of the roster if the first trade were to happen. I also added $8M a year for Guerrero for our 2B replacement and $20M for Choo for our CF (high balling both of them). You take Ludwick and BP off the books plus add $30M that joe proposed.

Early estimates for arb guys via Red Reporter have Bailey at $9M, Leake at $5.5M, LeCure at $1.6M, Simon at $1.8M, Hanigan at $2M, and the group of Cozart,Frazier,Mes, Cingrani, and Hoover all at or around $500k. Red Reporter has Chapman at $6M, but I used $10M to high-ball too. This all puts the payroll roughly at $109M. Also, added $2.5M for Parra.

http://www.redreporter.com/2013/10/1...mors-offseason

That would make the roster like this one:

Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Cingrani
    Leake

LeCure
    Chapman
    Marshall
    Broxton
    Simon
    Parra
    Hoover

Votto
    Guerrero
    Cozart
    Frazier
    Hannahan
    Gordon
    Mesoraco
    Hanigan

Bruce
    Kemp
    Choo
    Paul
    Hamilton

I left Heisey off the roster because I think having Paul as the lefy PH would suffice. Although, I would think that Gordon could be kept by LA, in which case, we could pursue a INF for SS and 2B like Izturis this year. Honestly, I would eat Hannahan's $1M since he is terrible hitter with no power and find a power hitting 1B or 3B INF. Those guys are pretty easy to find.

I also think that if the first trade were to work out and the second trade was there for us to do. Then we could theoretically sign Bronson to sure up our rotation with the loss of Bailey. The only concern in either scenario is how much will it be to extend both Cueto and Latos who are FA in 2015 and 2016 respectively. Payroll would be expected to rise with the attendance record and revenue. Finally, the Reds tv deal expires in 2016 so that could up payroll too.

If Leake really gets $5.5M in 2014, I'd much rather trade him than Bailey. Of course, this assumes you can re-sign Bailey, which may not be realistic.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Just looked at the salaries of the roster if the first trade were to happen. I also added $8M a year for Guerrero for our 2B replacement and $20M for Choo for our CF (high balling both of them). You take Ludwick and BP off the books plus add $30M that joe proposed.

Early estimates for arb guys via Red Reporter have Bailey at $9M, Leake at $5.5M, LeCure at $1.6M, Simon at $1.8M, Hanigan at $2M, and the group of Cozart,Frazier,Mes, Cingrani, and Hoover all at or around $500k. Red Reporter has Chapman at $6M, but I used $10M to high-ball too. This all puts the payroll roughly at $109M. Also, added $2.5M for Parra.

http://www.redreporter.com/2013/10/1...mors-offseason

That would make the roster like this one:

Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Cingrani
    Leake

LeCure
    Chapman
    Marshall
    Broxton
    Simon
    Parra
    Hoover

Votto
    Guerrero
    Cozart
    Frazier
    Hannahan
    Gordon
    Mesoraco
    Hanigan

Bruce
    Kemp
    Choo
    Paul
    Hamilton

I left Heisey off the roster because I think having Paul as the lefy PH would suffice. Although, I would think that Gordon could be kept by LA, in which case, we could pursue a INF for SS and 2B like Izturis this year. Honestly, I would eat Hannahan's $1M since he is terrible hitter with no power and find a power hitting 1B or 3B INF. Those guys are pretty easy to find.

I also think that if the first trade were to work out and the second trade was there for us to do. Then we could theoretically sign Bronson to sure up our rotation with the loss of Bailey. The only concern in either scenario is how much will it be to extend both Cueto and Latos who are FA in 2015 and 2016 respectively. Payroll would be expected to rise with the attendance record and revenue. Finally, the Reds tv deal expires in 2016 so that could up payroll too.
    My heart wants David DeJesus as the top LH bat off the bench and platoon partner in LF/CF. My head knows he would come too danged high.

Can't believe no one wants Joe Shlabotnik for Xavier Paul

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-14-2013)

I'd have trouble trading Bailey for Profar unless Bronson was brought back.
    Bailey and Arroyo pitched a combined 411 IP last year.

With Cueto's and Cingrani's health questions, 411 IP is a lot of innings to absorb next year. In fact, it might be the perfect storm for a 2014 disaster. Not really pumped about a rotation of Questionable Cueto, Leake, Cingrani, Latos, and Greg Reynolds.

Also, not to be a jerk, but Neferti Soto has zero trade value now. He looked horrible with the Reds last year. .Maybe he'll get better, but he's clearly not ML material now, and turns 25 this offseason. Can't hit, can't play a great 3b.. not sure why anyone would want him, even if he was on the waiver wire.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Can't believe no one wants Joe Shlabotnik for Xavier Paul
    Pass.

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

12. Likes:

AmarilloRed (10-15-2013),westofyou (10-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Joe (I'm assuming),

#1 - Why in the heck would the Dodgers give up Kemp (and pay us $30 mil) for Phillips?

#2 - Bailey and Soto wouldn't get Profar

#3 - That offer would not pull off Myers, let alone Myers and Price. You also just put Myers at 3B? Why don't you just move him back to catcher?

When creating possible trades, I'd recommend starting with what the other team would want in return for their stars. If I'm a Rays fan, and I want to unload Myers and Price, I start with Stephenson and Cingrani.
    I think you're undervaluing Bailey and overvaluing Profar. Bailey is one of the better young power arms in baseball and he's still only 27.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 10-14-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'd have trouble trading Bailey for Profar unless Bronson was brought back.
    Bailey and Arroyo pitched a combined 411 IP last year.

With Cueto's and Cingrani's health questions, 411 IP is a lot of innings to absorb next year. In fact, it might be the perfect storm for a 2014 disaster. Not really pumped about a rotation of Questionable Cueto, Leake, Cingrani, Latos, and Greg Reynolds.

Also, not to be a jerk, but Neferti Soto has zero trade value now. He looked horrible with the Reds last year. .Maybe he'll get better, but he's clearly not ML material now, and turns 25 this offseason. Can't hit, can't play a great 3b.. not sure why anyone would want him, even if he was on the waiver wire.
    The early estimate in the article I posted earlier in the thread had Bailey at $9M for next year. I think if he refuses to sign with us then Bronson is definitely a possibility. Bronson probably wants around that number anyways, so we could sign him to 2 years $18M and then trade Bailey. Texas did give up a lot for a half year of Matt Garza so I am sure we could get a decent haul for a year of Homer Bailey.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    We're all getting a little cavalier about starting pitching. We should repeat to ourselves "Eric Milton, Ramon Ortiz, Danny Claussen".

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I think you're undervaluing Bailey and overvaluing Profar. Bailey is one of the better young power arms in baseball and he's still only 27.
    Ya, but if Texas really wants to pay him tons of money for 2015--> they can do that anyway 12 months from now and keep Profar.

I would trade for Joe Shlabotnik in an effort to "get him goin" so that he does not "clog the bases" with useless bases on balls

Turn Off Ads?