Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Scouting: Dollar Sign on the Muscle - Redux

Scouting: Dollar Sign on the Muscle - Redux

Baseball Prospectus is proud to be republishing an updated version of Kevin Kerrane's classic, in-depth look at the world of scouting, Dollar Sign on the Muscle, later this month. Before the reprint's release, we'll be running a few excerpts to give you a feel for the book. The passage below covers a candid bar discussion between scouts.

Dollar Sign on the Muscle is available for preorder now. Find out more about the reprint here.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=22014

At the Monte Carlo tavern Bob Engle of the Blue Jays walked over to the scouts sitting at the big roundtable. "I just heard," he announced, "that the Scouting Bureau's gonna send in a report on the San Diego Chicken. They say he's a legitimate prospect."

"Could be true," one scout said. "Those guys have turned in worse than him. Maybe they think he's got the good comb."

"Sit down and get some of this pizza," an older scout said, "and tell me how good you think Romagna is. Don't forget to subtract the crowd."

"How good do you think he is?" Engle asked.

"I think he's too small for a right-hand pitcher," the older scout said. "If he was a lefty, I'd like him about fifty thousand dollars."

"The Reds will never give him that—will they, Gene?" Engle said. "They'll just keep draftin' him."

"I'll tell you who I'd like to draft," Gene Bennett said. "Sabo, the boy that got injured today. He's got 6.6 speed, good power, good hands for infield, a good arm."

"Enough power for a third baseman?"

"I say so."

"I say he ends up a second baseman," the older scout said. "Anyway, second basemen gotta come from somewhere; they hardly ever start out there. I've never signed one."

"Me either," Bennett said. "They're shortstops without the arm or third basemen without the power… who go to the minors and learn how to make the double play."

"How bad's Sabo hurt?" I asked.

"Broke his collarbone," Bennett said. "I didn't see it, but that guy Morry told me."

New stuff:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=22066

2. Likes:

Chip R (10-17-2013),cincinnati chili (10-20-2013),marcshoe (10-17-2013),RadfordVA (10-17-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scouting: Dollar Sign on the Muscle - Redux

Cool stuff, thanks!

Re: Scouting: Dollar Sign on the Muscle - Redux

Glad they are releasing this again. Have been wanting to read it but did not want to pay the high amounts for the few copies out there.

Turn Off Ads?