Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Man Roster - 2014

40 Man Roster - 2014

I've been pondering the present state of the 40 man roster. Right now, if I've counted correctly, there are 43 players shown on the Reds site, with three still being shown being on the 60 day DL. Of course, at the conclusion of the World Series, they'll go back on the roster.

Here is Cot's spreadsheet for the present roster and players' status for next season.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...gw&output=html

They list six players as Free Agents: Arroyo, Choo, Masset, Izturis, Duke and Parra. It's clear Masset won't be back and I doubt the club pursues Izturis. We've had discussions about offering Arroyo and Choo qualifying offers. That leaves Parra and Duke and there has been discussion about both of them here too.

They list our arbitration eligible players as:

Hanigan
    Simon
    Bailey
    Leake
    Miller
    LeCure
    Paul
    Heisey

This is LeCure's first year of eligibility. Hanigan and Bailey are in their 3rd year and the rest are all second year of eligibility.

Here is the Reds link for the current 40 man roster.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/...n.jsp?c_id=cin

I am sure there are a number of players who were added during the season that will likely be removed and risk being lost - that's just the reality and there are some that it's essentially pro forma - every year clubs make those decisions.

The team should have plenty of room on their 40 man roster this off-season.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 10-16-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: To add Heisey to arb eligible list
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

I am looking at Duke and Parra as an either/or. I like them both, but I don't see room for 4 lefties in the bullpen if Marshall is back.

Heisey is Arb eligible too, for the second time. I'm predicting that he and Hanigan are non-tendered.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Arroyo and Choo. Offer both QO. Actually try to sign Choo.
    Goodbye Masset, Izturis.
    Duke and Parra. Depending on what Parra wants is this really a question? Of course, there is that free agency wrench again. Much rather keep Parra but not for a three year deal or too much money. I really have no idea what he might be offered, either. He was pretty dominant but has a blechh record behind that. What's a LOOGY worth?

Miller should finally be gone. Shouldn't he? It is 2010 isn't it?

Hanigan will be back is my bet. I don't have as big a problem with that as some do. His BABIP was pathetic, his LD% was virtually the same, he was plagued by nagging injuries all year. I'd be surprised if he did not rebound to about his career norm - something like .250/.345/.355 - and with his defense I can live with that IF the new manager makes Devin the primary catcher and uses Ryan as a true backup. If Hanny's offense remains a real black hole then by mid season it is entirely possible that Barnhart will be ready to come up and take his spot. No way he gets non tendered.

Simon and LeCure will return without a doubt. The only question is whether they end up included in a deal Walt might make. Both are good enough to be juicy secondary add ons in a deal and neither is overly expensive. I expect both back but one might get dealt as part of a bigger package.

Bailey - no need to rehash. Plenty of threads inre trade or keep. I see both sides.

XPaul - he may start getting too expensive for what he brings. Felix Perez might replicate his numbers for a lot less.
    Heisey - good 4th OFer. Not likely to find better for the same dollars. Still, I get the feeling a change of scenery deal for another similar OFer mightn't be a bad idea for HiC or the Reds. Not sure it will happen but sometimes it's just time to move on.
    Making room on the 40 man won't be a problem. Finding players worth having on it beyond the ones already there? Dicier.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-16-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Parra can get RH out too. That makes him a lot more valuable than Duke.
    I think Parra is coming back.

Duke probably gets offered a minor league deal.. he might take it. I don't see any other club giving Duke a chance.

We can say "Goodbye Izturis", but we need to reserve a roster slot for someone like him (A glove guy that doesn't hurt you at SS or 2b).

Hannigan isn't going to make much in arb after the year he had. Definitely bring him back, hope Mez seizes the bulk of the playing time.
    Hannigan would be a great backup.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    We can say "Goodbye Izturis", but we need to reserve a roster slot for someone like him (A glove guy that doesn't hurt you at SS or 2b).
    Maybe stay in house and bring up HRod? Our recent bench signings haven't been much help...
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

-The Insider-

Here is a list (not fully complete) of guys that are Rule V eligible:

Ryan LaMarre
    Brodie Greene
    David Vidal
    Drew Hayes
    Josh Smith
    Daniel Renken
    Chad Rodgers
    Tucker Barnhart
    David Lohman
    Tanner Robles
    Chris Manno

9. Likes:

Gallen5862 (10-16-2013),redsmetz (10-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Here is a list (not fully complete) of guys that are Rule V eligible:

Ryan LaMarre
    Brodie Greene
    David Vidal
    Drew Hayes
    Josh Smith
    Daniel Renken
    Chad Rodgers
    Tucker Barnhart
    David Lohman
    Tanner Robles
    Chris Manno

Of that list, who are the 100% adds? LaMarre, Sharky, and Barnhart. I think for sure. But are there others that are definite adds?

Thanks for the list BTW.

I think Hanigan has to go. I believe he has trade value, although lower than a year ago. The catching needs to be Mesoraco at least 4/5 of the time, and a true backup the rest of the time. Maybe one that hits LH, for better match ups when they play. Hanigan at around 2 million, plus lack of power is a negative for me in a backup.

Heisey should go to since he will be making around 2 million as well, and his role could be filled for close to the minimum.

I like Hannigan and Heisey to stay, as both are likely to bounce back after injury plagued years.

I would hope and expect to see Miller back on MiLB contract if he wishes to continue to play as opposed to coach. Barnhart added to 40 man with Miller mentoring and backing him up at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I would hope and expect to see Miller back on MiLB contract if he wishes to continue to play as opposed to coach. Barnhart added to 40 man with Miller mentoring and backing him up at AAA.

The way the Reds have kept him around, I would think Corky has an open invite to AAA to keep him in the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I like Hannigan and Heisey to stay, as both are likely to bounce back after injury plagued years.

I think we just see these players differently. To me, Hanigan has been, and could be in Mesoraco's way on this roster. I have enjoyed him on the Reds, but catchers with his skill set age fast, and hard. I think it was more than just injuries holding his numbers down last season.

As for Heisey, I'm fine with him coming back. I just think his role has shortened to where he might be the 5th OF, and 2 million is a lot for that role. But he's a good teammate, and versatile with a little bit of pop. So he doesn't kill the bench if he does come back.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Maybe stay in house and bring up HRod? Our recent bench signings haven't been much help...
    I don't think HRod can play SS though.

I always thought one of your backup infielders needs to be a guy that is an above average glove at SS/2b .. Most backup SS can't hit well anyhow, so get a guy with an at least average glove.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I think Hanigan has to go. I believe he has trade value, although lower than a year ago. The catching needs to be Mesoraco at least 4/5 of the time, and a true backup the rest of the time. Maybe one that hits LH, for better match ups when they play. Hanigan at around 2 million, plus lack of power is a negative for me in a backup.

Heisey should go to since he will be making around 2 million as well, and his role could be filled for close to the minimum.
    I'm pessemistic about Choo resigning.
    If Choo leaves, you almost have to keep Heisey around as a plan B to help cover CF. Cutting Heisey loose and then only having BHam and DRobinson to play CF is pretty thin. Now if we can get value for Heisey in a trade, I'm open to trading Heisey, I just can't see DFAing Heisey though.

Turn Off Ads?