Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red Sox - Reds trade possible?

Red Sox - Reds trade possible?

First of all this is my own personal conjecture....not a rumor or something I read. Now that the clarifier is out there my idea:

The Sox signing of Castillo and trade for Cespedes puts the quintet of Betts/Boaegarts/Holt/Cecchini/Bradley Jr. in play especially for pitching. A deal of either Latos or Cueto for 1 or 2 of these guys and possibly a third lower level guy could give the Reds an OFer, or in Holt's case a versatile IF-OF guy. The Sox system is loaded yet starting pitching remains their big need - one team that could afford a prospect rich package and still have a strong farm, that also has a need the Reds can match....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Likes:

757690 (08-26-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Red Sox - Reds trade possible?

I would love to get our hands on Bogaerts, although I doubt he is for sale.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Why would Boaegarts or Holt be in play?

I wouldn't really be in favor of it, but Allen Craig was drafted by the Cardinals when our GM was with St. Louis...
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Old NDN (09-02-2014)

I'd love a low buy on Allen Craig for LF.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

9. Likes:

Old NDN (09-02-2014),Old school 1983 (08-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I would love to get our hands on Bogaerts, although I doubt he is for sale.
    This was in MLBTR the other day. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

In the latest edition of his Sunday column, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes that the early struggles of Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. have left many around the game wondering how good each player truly is. Bogaerts’ youth makes his scuffles more understandable, but one NL adviser said that Bradley has fallen from a prospect that would be the centerpiece of a trade to a “throw-in.” The 24-year-old is a standout defender, but he’s hit just .208/.284/.303 in 470 big league plate appearances and has shown “absolutely no sign of the hitting getting better,” said the adviser. Boston will commit to Bogaerts for next year regardless of his finish, writes Cafardo, but he concludes that Bradley will have to show improvement over the final seven weeks in order to handed the center field job in 2015.

Next year isn't a good time to trade veteran pitching. Once again, like 2013, it's all in. That said, Mookie Betts looks really good, Brock Holt is a very solid bench player, and Bradley is a good buy low. Bogarts would be keen, too, but I like the veteran presence Cozart will bring next year and Bogarts has yet to show he can definitely be an offensive performer at the highest level. It could be a good buy low, but it could be a lateral move too. In all, a prospect package of Betts, Bogart, and Holt would get a lot of folks talking in Cincinnati.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd love a low buy on Allen Craig for LF.
    Looking at the contract details, he really isn't that expensive and it's only 3 years, but I just don't know if I trust him to stay healthy and on the field. And while this season may be an aberration and not the new norm, there is a chance he's shot. But maybe it's a mechanical thing that Don Long could help him fix.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Betts and Henry Owens, those are my targets to trade for with the Red Sox.

Craig is not the worst idea in the world as a guy that could play some LF/1B. I wouldn't want to give up much, because you would be gambling on his ankle and his bat to rebound.

I'd be happy to buy low on Shane Victorino for 1 year. My favorite deal would be something built around Latos for Betts, but I don't think Betts is going anywhere.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/30/how-red...-in-offseason/

could Cueto bring Xander Bogaerts or touted lefty starter Henry Owens? If not, could the Reds get volume with, say, Cueto for Mookie Betts, Anthony Ranaudo and Brandon Workman?

I like Holt

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-30-2014)

Turn Off Ads?