Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

It looks like the Reds have a spot open on the 40 man roster. This could allow the Reds to participate in the Rule V draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    It looks like the Reds have a spot open on the 40 man roster. This could allow the Reds to participate in the Rule V draft.
    Manny Parra will fill that spot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Manny Parra will fill that spot.
    The rule 5 draft is on December 12th. I suppose that it is possible that they drag their feet knowing that Parra has agreed in principle to the deal so that they can participate, and then they would sign Parra and dump one of the "drek-sters" like Christiani or Henry Rodriguez.

Just a scenario!
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    The rule 5 draft is on December 12th. I suppose that it is possible that they drag their feet knowing that Parra has agreed in principle to the deal so that they can participate, and then they would sign Parra and dump one of the "drek-sters" like Christiani or Henry Rodriguez.

Just a scenario!
    Possible. Why not just dump the "drek-sters" now? I guess they could try to toss one into a deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    If they could find a glove guy that could be the backup SS, it might be worth it.
    With Hannahan and Schumaker being able to cover 2b in a pinch, the backup SS wouldn't need to fill in at 2b as much as Isturus and Cario used to.

Not sure there's room on the roster to Rule V a potential bullpen guy though.
    Historically, bullpen guys seem to pan out the most often.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    By essentially swapping out Paul for Schumaker, Reds added versatility (Skip plays infield and outfield) and winning experience, but IMO gave up offense. While Skip had some good years in the pre-2010 days, Paul was a better hitter last two seasons.

With Hannahan signed for next year, it could be that we'll see a bench of Pena, Schumaker, Hannahan, Heisey, and a middle infielder to be acquired.

While this may be a more fiery bench, it wouldn't be much of an offensive upgrade. Unless the middle infielder can hit, which would be unusual for a bench middle infielder.

Maybe the Reds have more changes than this planned for the bench. I'm assuming Hanigan is traded.

Could also be that Hamilton will share CF with some new player, which might mean Heisey gets traded.
    I don't see Schumaker displacing Paul as much as I do Hannahan. I pray Hannahan's remaining year does not guarantee him a spot on the 25-man. (Bold added for emphasis)

If they keep 12 pitchers (likely), that means a five man bench.

CA Brayan (B) - Probably a lock, if healthy
    *IF
    UT Schumaker (L) - and 2B & emergency CFer
    **OF
    ***OF

If Phillips stays, I want to see them to add a young guy who can field SS (and also backup 2B &3B), but also swing the bat (a SH or lefty bat would be nice). If Phillips is dealt (still a real possibility no matter what Walt may have said) I want a second young IF who can swing a the bat as well as field. Between the both, I would like to have them each field two IF positions apiece and at least one that can bat lefty or both). NNO MORE weak bats (Iztirus, Hannahan, Valdez, Cairo, yada, yada, yada...)
    **(Primary LH bench bat) One OF spot should be a switch-hitter or lefty that that can share some time with Ludwick in LF (if a better starter isn't added) and add LH pop off the bench (Matt Joyce is a good example)
    ***(Primary RH bench bat)The second OF spot should be a SH or RH bat with pop, It might be Ludwick if a better starting LF option is added (and Ryan isn't dealt). If Ryan starts in LF or is dealt, Heisey might be alright, but I'd prefer a stronger option.

I'd really like to see them beef up the bench and the two OF spots are the most likely places to add pop. I'm more interested in offense than defense (as well as L/R balance). It would nice if one could play CF, but not necessary - if the starting CF goes down for longer than a game or just a few innings there's Schumaker - if its for longer, then Billy and/or Lemarre (maybe Ervin or YRod later in the season as well) are an hour and a half down the road.

I will be VERY disappointed if they go to Spring Training without significant improvement to either CF or LF at the very least (preferably both).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-04-2013 at 11:05 PM.

8. Likes:

mdccclxix (12-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I don't see Schumaker displacing Paul as much as I do Hannahan. I pray Hannahan's remaining year does not guarantee him a spot on the 25-man. (Bold added for emphasis)

If they keep 12 pitchers (likely), that means a five man bench.

CA Brayan (B) - Probably a lock, if healthy
    *IF
    UT Schumaker (L) - and 2B & emergency CFer
    **OF
    ***OF

If Phillips stays, I want to see them to add a young guy who can field SS (and also backup 2B &3B), but also swing the bat (a SH or lefty bat would be nice). If Phillips is dealt (still a real possibility no matter what Walt may have said) I want a second young IF who can swing a the bat as well as field. Between the both, I would like to have them each field two IF positions apiece and at least one that can bat lefty or both). NNO MORE weak bats (Iztirus, Hannahan, Valdez, Cairo, yada, yada, yada...)
    **(Primary LH bench bat) One OF spot should be a switch-hitter or lefty that that can share some time with Ludwick in LF (if a better starter isn't added) and add LH pop off the bench (Matt Joyce is a good example)
    ***(Primary RH bench bat)The second OF spot should be a SH or RH bat with pop, It might be Ludwick if a better starting LF option is added (and Ryan isn't dealt). If Ryan starts in LF or is dealt, Heisey might be alright, but I'd prefer a stronger option.

I'd really like to see them beef up the bench and the two OF spots are the most likely places to add pop. I'm more interested in offense than defense (as well as L/R balance). It would nice if one could play CF, but not necessary - if the starting CF goes down for longer than a game or just a few innings there's Schumaker - if its for longer, then Billy and/or Lemarre (maybe Ervin or YRod later in the season as well) are an hour and a half down the road.

I will be VERY disappointed if they go to Spring Training without significant improvement to either CF or LF at the very least (preferably both).
    I'd like Granderson and Hamilton and Ludwick and Schumaker to occupy the 2b, LF, CF spots. Get the best prospect you can for Phillips. Maybe throw Lutz into the mix if he shows improvement and trade Heisey as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'd like Granderson and Hamilton and Ludwick and Schumaker to occupy the 2b, LF, CF spots. Get the best prospect you can for Phillips. Maybe throw Lutz into the mix if he shows improvement and trade Heisey as well.
    I can squint and rationalize that Billy Hamilton should get the center field job. I think it's the right thing to do for him and for the team.

I can't imagine how anybody can look at what Donald Lutz has done in the last two years and suggest that the best thing for him and the franchise would be to have him sit on the major league bench.

Lutz isn't ready for the majors and there is no way he can improve while sitting on the bench. He needs everyday at bats in order to get better.

The message of Xavier Paul is that you can find guys like this all over the place. Don't give up talent for them. Don't sign them to long term contracts.

I didn't like D. Robinson's game and I would give him a call long before I would put Lutz on the end of the bench.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I don't need to even squint to rationalize anything about b-ham. Speed kills. He needs to play a lot of of platoon innings. In all of my limited time here, I have never seen the likes of him.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

No doubt he is a weapon as a pinchrunner. But do you slow or prevent his development at the plate by putting him on the bench for late inning defense and pinchrunning?

He needs to learn how to get on base.

13. Likes:

VottoFan54 (12-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If they could find a glove guy that could be the backup SS, it might be worth it.
    With Hannahan and Schumaker being able to cover 2b in a pinch, the backup SS wouldn't need to fill in at 2b as much as Isturus and Cario used to.

Not sure there's room on the roster to Rule V a potential bullpen guy though.
    Historically, bullpen guys seem to pan out the most often.
    If this team uses three of its five bench spots on Schumaker, Hannahan and random generic no-hit SS guy. I'm fine with Schumaker, but only one of the other two (and Hannahan doesn't [or shouldn't] play SS). Bring Hannahan to camp as injury insurance, but by the time they head north the new Hanny needs to be declared a sunken cost and sent packing. Two IF's a back-up catcher and a two OF bats (a primary left and right bench bats) needs to be the bat unless they only carry 11 pitchers North.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-17-2013 at 10:09 PM.

15. Likes:

mth123 (12-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    No doubt he is a weapon as a pinchrunner. But do you slow or prevent his development at the plate by putting him on the bench for late inning defense and pinchrunning?

He needs to learn how to get on base.
    I'm wondering if there's any chance that they'll keep him off the OD roster to get him some at bats until June- if this would potentially add another year of club control (assuming that the reds are treading water that whole time), don't think it's likely
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If this team uses three of its five bench spots on Schumaker, Hannahan and random generic no-hit SS guy. I'm fine with Schumaker, but only one of the other two (and Hannahan doesn't [or shouldn't] play SS). Bring Hannahan to camp as injury insurance, but by the time they head north the new Hanny needs to be declared a sunken cost and sent packing. Two IF's a back-up catcher and a two OF bats (a primary left and right bench bats) needs to be the bat unless they only carry 11 pitchers North.
    I think you park a Janish in Louisville in case Cozart gets hurt, tell Zach he's going to play 160 games, and, if you have to, live with 5 starts at SS from Hannahan or Frazier. This last player has got to be a bat.

18. Likes:

Farnsie (12-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think you park a Janish in Louisville in case Cozart gets hurt, tell Zach he's going to play 160 games, and, if you have to, live with 5 starts at SS from Hannahan or Frazier. This last player has got to be a bat.
    I like this plan but suspect that the Reds do not. They were interested in Herrera & I suspect it was for the 25th spot on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Got a better idea. Get a backup SS that can give you professional AB and a right and left-handed OF with some pop add them to Schumaker & Pena and let Hannahan get on with his life's work. Hannahan is the poster child for what I hate about Walt's benches

Turn Off Ads?