Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think you park a Janish in Louisville in case Cozart gets hurt, tell Zach he's going to play 160 games, and, if you have to, live with 5 starts at SS from Hannahan or Frazier. This last player has got to be a bat.
    I like this plan but suspect that the Reds do not. They were interested in Herrera & I suspect it was for the 25th spot on the roster.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think you park a Janish in Louisville in case Cozart gets hurt, tell Zach he's going to play 160 games, and, if you have to, live with 5 starts at SS from Hannahan or Frazier. This last player has got to be a bat.
    Got a better idea. Get a backup SS that can give you professional AB and a right and left-handed OF with some pop add them to Schumaker & Pena and let Hannahan get on with his life's work. Hannahan is the poster child for what I hate about Walt's benches

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Got a better idea. Get a backup SS that can give you professional AB and a right and left-handed OF with some pop add them to Schumaker & Pena and let Hannahan get on with his life's work. Hannahan is the poster child for what I hate about Walt's benches
    Back-up SS that can give you a good at bat are starting SS who appear in All Star games.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

5. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-07-2014), Crumbley (12-20-2013), HeatherC1212 (12-23-2013), HokieRed (12-20-2013), marcshoe (12-22-2013), Mike Honcho (12-20-2013), powersackers (01-10-2014), REDREAD (12-20-2013), Tom Servo (12-20-2013)

Just a little bump. MLBTradeRumors.com listed Central Division teams players who are out of options (less than five years time, no options remaining). Only one Red is in that category - Alfredo Simon, and therefore, not a situation we'll be dealing with.
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Besides Soto....No one is really impressing in camp in regards to players who were either on the 40 but not on or expected to make the team from AAA or lower.

Corcino has been terrible. Sharky looks like a tabby. Crabbe looks crappy. The latter 2 at least had good 2013 but Corcino has morphed into something bad.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Lutz has looked pretty darned good too.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Besides Soto....No one is really impressing in camp in regards to players who were either on the 40 but not on or expected to make the team from AAA or lower.

Corcino has been terrible. Sharky looks like a tabby. Crabbe looks crappy. The latter 2 at least had good 2013 but Corcino has morphed into something bad.
    Goodness...it's March 6th. You can't judge anything right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

11. Likes:

dougdirt (03-06-2014), Edd Roush (03-06-2014), HokieRed (03-06-2014), RedlegJake (03-06-2014)

It's very, very early.

But I was impressed with Beato last night. If there's an available spot, he could be a candidate, he looks like he knows what he's doing out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

Like Sir Charles said, Lutz does look good too. Showed some power, had some good at bats, showed that hes pretty fast for a big guy and had some good defensive plays.

obviously not a big sample size, but he sure looks good so far

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    Like Sir Charles said, Lutz does look good too. Showed some power, had some good at bats, showed that hes pretty fast for a big guy and had some good defensive plays.

obviously not a big sample size, but he sure looks good so far
    Exactly. And most importantly...it's a position where some uncertainty is still up in the air.

Soto's not getting added as he's only 1B and just now re-learning C. Zero chance he's added. A nice spring & early AAA season though and his trade value perks up nicely.

And I agree with Reds44 that it's too early to make any real final calls on guys, but it's not to early to offer opinions on how guys are doing.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 03-06-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Exactly. And most importantly...it's a position where some uncertainty is still up in the air.

Soto's not getting added as he's only 1B and just now re-learning C. Zero chance he's added. A nice spring & early AAA season though and his trade value perks up nicely.

And I agree with Reds44 that it's too early to make any real final calls on guys, but it's not to early to offer opinions on how guys are doing.
    When he was still a legit top ten system guy, I wonder why on earth they pigeonholed him as a 1B. Maybe I'm just ignorant as to how disastrous the experiment was with him at every other position they tried him. He came up as a SS, though, for goodness sake. You'd have thought it would've been worth sticking with him learning another position and letting him fall back on 1B. Its not as if you need a ton of experience to be a passing first baseman.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    When he was still a legit top ten system guy, I wonder why on earth they pigeonholed him as a 1B. Maybe I'm just ignorant as to how disastrous the experiment was with him at every other position they tried him. He came up as a SS, though, for goodness sake. You'd have thought it would've been worth sticking with him learning another position and letting him fall back on 1B. Its not as if you need a ton of experience to be a passing first baseman.
    I saw him a bit at 3rd (I want to say 2 years ago) and he was horrid. Poor footwork, slow lateral movement, inaccurate arm and too much of a sidearm throw without needing to. I was thoroughly unimpressed with him defensively.

I think he's looked fine at 1st though. Considering what I've seen at third...it doesn't surprise me at ALL that they quickly moved him off of short.

I haven't yet seen him behind the dish though...anybody have any kind of report on how that's progressing?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I saw him a bit at 3rd (I want to say 2 years ago) and he was horrid. Poor footwork, slow lateral movement, inaccurate arm and too much of a sidearm throw without needing to. I was thoroughly unimpressed with him defensively.

I think he's looked fine at 1st though. Considering what I've seen at third...it doesn't surprise me at ALL that they quickly moved him off of short.

I haven't yet seen him behind the dish though...anybody have any kind of report on how that's progressing?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

In 2013, Soto played both corner infield spots. This spring, he's put in extra time as a catcher during workouts and bullpen sessions.

"He's a guy doing early and late work on his catching and trying to be a viable option maybe as a third catcher and even better than that," Price said. "His work day is as long as anyone here right now."

If Soto can make the Reds as an extra catcher, it would free Price to use backup catcher Brayan Pena as a pinch-hitter more often, without worrying about a backup for primary catcher Devin Mesoraco.

"That adds value. There's also a feeling in here that he has a chance to be better than a third catcher. We're getting good reports from [catching coordinator] Mike Stefanski on his development. No one is going to say right now that he won't move up the depth chart at the catching position."

Soto caught 10 games at High A ball in 2010 before going to first base.

"I've got to take it more seriously now that I'm 25," Soto said. "I think I'm ready to be in the big leagues. I want to be there. Anything that would help me get there is great for me."
    Also, for what it's worth, I believe Doug said that Soto looked better last season at 2B than he ever did before.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

Also, for what it's worth, I believe Doug said that Soto looked better last season at 2B than he ever did before.
    Third base (I am sure that was a typo on your part), but yes, Soto looked better at 3rd than he has in the past.

19. Likes:

PepperJack (03-06-2014)

So, bumping this thread to see if anyone has a list of minor leaguers who need to be protected this off-season. I think the 40 man is going to be pretty crowded and will probably cause a few guys to miss out on a September call-up unless they need to be protected anyway. For example, a guy like Waldrop probably should get a look, but unless he needs protected anyway, there is no reason to add him now. OTOH, if they need to add him this winter anyhow, they may want to go ahead and make room now and get a look at him for a month. Of course, Lutz and Y-Rod probably get a look and maybe even Duran since he is already on the 40 man, so their may not be much PT in the OF anyhow.

Unless the Reds can climb back into it somehow (and incredibly, it's still possible), I'd like to see Bruce at 1B in September with Lutz, Y-Rod and maybe some others in there most of the time in the OF corners. Pena, Skippy, Hannahan, Heisey and Ludwick can grab some bench in September while the kids play.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?