Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Others in their 5th season (were 18 when they signed):

Brandon Daily
    Joel Bender
    Drew Cisco
    Wes Mugarian
    Last edited by mdccclxix; 08-26-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

Those at the end of their 4 year allotted time (they were 19 y/o when they signed):

Amir Garrett (fixed)
    Kyle McMyne
    Ryan Wright
    Sean Buckley
    James Allen
    Jon Matthews
    Juan Perez
    Mike Dennhardt
    Steve Selsky
    Bryson Smith
    Last edited by mdccclxix; 08-26-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Next year will be tougher with

Stephenson
    Rosa

Romano
    Washington
    Gelalich
    Langfield
    Moscot
    Ameral
    Brean

All coming due
    Last edited by mdccclxix; 08-26-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Garrett will be eligible this year. He signed out of high school, but he was 19 when he signed, meaning he only gets 4 years.

Mugarian and Dailey were both released.

6. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Garrett will be eligible this year. He signed out of high school, but he was 19 when he signed, meaning he only gets 4 years.

Mugarian and Dailey were both released.
    Thanks, I knew there would be some catches in there.

What's Navarro's status?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds will begin to dismantle the forty man roster shortly after the season ends. After a disappointing year the first thing that happens is that the team deconstructs its forty, eliminating unnecessary names.

Then it begins to add back from new guys and prospects who must go on the list.

As for this year, any chance the Reds have is strictly mathematical. Just look at the various playoff chance percentages posted all over the baseball sites.
    While this may be true for many teams, in the Reds case, far too many of the "unnecessary players" have been given multi-year contracts and options.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    What's Navarro's status?
    Anyone that has hit free agency already is Rule 5 eligible every year after.

11. Likes:

HokieRed (08-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Goodness...it's March 6th. You can't judge anything right now.
    Well in regards to Sharky, who regressed even worse than he looked early in ST and Crabbe.... I guess early ST showed to play out true for the rest of the year.

Corcino rebounded better but he had to go into AA to do it. I think they had a really bad year when it comes to dealing with the 40 man roster, which has been a common theme for the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, bumping this thread to see if anyone has a list of minor leaguers who need to be protected this off-season. I think the 40 man is going to be pretty crowded and will probably cause a few guys to miss out on a September call-up unless they need to be protected anyway. For example, a guy like Waldrop probably should get a look, but unless he needs protected anyway, there is no reason to add him now. OTOH, if they need to add him this winter anyhow, they may want to go ahead and make room now and get a look at him for a month. Of course, Lutz and Y-Rod probably get a look and maybe even Duran since he is already on the 40 man, so their may not be much PT in the OF anyhow.

Unless the Reds can climb back into it somehow (and incredibly, it's still possible), I'd like to see Bruce at 1B in September with Lutz, Y-Rod and maybe some others in there most of the time in the OF corners. Pena, Skippy, Hannahan, Heisey and Ludwick can grab some bench in September while the kids play.

I would love to see Navarro, Perez, Lutz and Rodriguez play. Price however has shown more vet love than Baker was accused of having.

But by all means..... I would love a nice dead cat bounce to end the year with all 4 of those playing in some way and often.

After the season ends, do 60 DDL players start counting against the 40 man roster?

Yes, players on the 60 day DL count towards the 40 man roster some time after the season ends - not sure of the precise date. It may even be as late as when the 40 man is set for the Rule 5 draft, but I think it's shortly after the conclusion of the World Series.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Yes, players on the 60 day DL count towards the 40 man roster some time after the season ends - not sure of the precise date. It may even be as late as when the 40 man is set for the Rule 5 draft, but I think it's shortly after the conclusion of the World Series.
    Thanks. I thought that was the case. If it were not, teams would abuse the 60 day. Just thought there could be some exceptions for players undergoing surgery that would keep them out of action for at least the first half of the next season.

That being the case, the first order of business is to clear spots for Votto and Marshall and decide whether to do so for Trevor Bell. Santiago accounts for one spot. Jake Elmore? Pay off Hanahan?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Thanks. I thought that was the case. If it were not, teams would abuse the 60 day. Just thought there could be some exceptions for players undergoing surgery that would keep them out of action for at least the first half of the next season.

That being the case, the first order of business is to clear spots for Votto and Marshall and decide whether to do so for Trevor Bell. Santiago accounts for one spot. Jake Elmore? Pay off Hanahan?
    Hannahan, Ludwick, and Santiago are an instant 3 spots I would think. I believe they gave Bell's number to one of the recent callups(Corcino?) so I think he is a permanent removal. Also, likely Villarreal too.

So that's 5 spots pretty quick.

Hannahan, Ludwick, Santiago, Villarreal, Bell and Skip should all be removed. 6 open spots for 2015

F Perez and Navarro are 2. Plus Rule 5 eligible players. R Wright and Waldrop. That's 4 for sure. A couple of players as well.

Turn Off Ads?