Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Hannahan, Ludwick, Santiago, Villarreal, Bell and Skip should all be removed. 6 open spots for 2015

F Perez and Navarro are 2. Plus Rule 5 eligible players. R Wright and Waldrop. That's 4 for sure. A couple of players as well.
    I agree that after the season all but skip should/will be gone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So IF Skip stays, that means we'd have 1 open spot on the 40 man. With some other rule 5 eligible players, Reds have choices to make

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    So IF Skip stays, that means we'd have 1 open spot on the 40 man. With some other rule 5 eligible players, Reds have choices to make
    I would be surprised if Wright and Felix Perez are added.

Wonder if the Reds just release Marshall. If he's done, why take up a 40 man spot over the winter just to stick him back on the DL in Spring? They have to pay him either way. I think the team also looks to make a quick deal with a few fringe guys who are arb eligible. If they agree for cheap, they keep them. If they hold out with arb possible, non-tender. Ondrusek and Heisey would be the first two I'd approach with that plan in mind. Not sure if Hoover is arb eligible yet, but if so, him too. Same with Axelrod.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If he's done then why have they held onto him this long?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If he's done then why have they held onto him this long?
    Up to now, there really isn't a need to do anything. He's not taking a roster spot sitting on the 60 day DL and he's going to get his paycheck without playing either way. May as well hang on and hope for a miracle recovery. Come November though, that 60 day DL protection goes away and one of those scarce 40 man spots will be needed for him. At that point, time to decide. Until then, they can wait.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Up to now, there really isn't a need to do anything. He's not taking a roster spot sitting on the 60 day DL and he's going to get his paycheck without playing either way. May as well hang on and hope for a miracle recovery. Come November though, that 60 day DL protection goes away and one of those scarce 40 man spots will be needed for him. At that point, time to decide. Until then, they can wait.

Last I read, Marshall was supposed to recover in time for spring training or so. Unless he has another setback, and even then they could put him back on the 60 day DL to start next season. I would be surprised if they just cut him loose.

9. Likes:

RedlegJake (08-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Last I read, Marshall was supposed to recover in time for spring training or so. Unless he has another setback, and even then they could put him back on the 60 day DL to start next season. I would be surprised if they just cut him loose.
    Maybe. But it means they probably need to cut somebody else loose to make room for him. If I had to pick between making a spot for say Navarro or hanging onto a pipedream with Marshall, I'd need to see the medical info to decide. Guess I'm a skeptic where this shoulder stuff is concerned. Hope he comes back, but I'm guessing he won't with any effectiveness. Money is already spent. The question is whether the Reds are willing to forego the spot for somebody else. If the Doctors say with some certainty that he'll be as good as new that's one thing, but if he's a question to return or it's likely he's a shell of his former self, then I wouldn't let the contract stand in my way giving that spot to another player..
    Last edited by mth123; 08-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.

6.5M guaranteed reasons. That's what he's owed next season
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-30-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    6.5M reasons. That's what he's owed next season
    So, pay $6.5 Million to sit him on the DL and sign another Skippy type for $5 Million over two years to be the 25th man or pay the same $6.5 Million for him to go away make a spot for say a Navarro or a Negron to be the 25th man at league minimum? I know which I'd choose. I'd have to have glowing reports with some precedence for guys coming back from other injuries of his type to keep him on the roster. Chances are, even if he comes back, he'll suck until 2016 when he rounds into form and he's no longer Reds property anyway.

Cut him loose and sign him to a minor league deal to rehab and work at his comeback. Give him an option for 2016 if it works out. Somebody else offers a better deal than the minor league deal the Reds offer up, send him on his way.

Turn Off Ads?