Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 237

Thread: 40 Man Roster - 2014

  1. #16
    Member BungleBengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    704

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm pessemistic about Choo resigning.
    If Choo leaves, you almost have to keep Heisey around as a plan B to help cover CF. Cutting Heisey loose and then only having BHam and DRobinson to play CF is pretty thin. Now if we can get value for Heisey in a trade, I'm open to trading Heisey, I just can't see DFAing Heisey though.
    Definitely agree, but I also can't see paying perhaps your 5th OF $2M. Maybe the Cubs or Padres are open to trading with us since our last trades with them have worked out so well...
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    12,479

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Heisey is Arb eligible too, for the second time. I'm predicting that he and Hanigan are non-tendered.
    Thanks, I've corrected that. I had overlooked him.

    I don't think the club has to rush to that sort of decision. I think there will be enough shakeout from the bottom of the roster to make room for the few that may need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft. We don't have to make a decision on either of these two until the beginning of December. Even at that, we can tender a contract and still move them and let someone else come to terms or go to arbitration with any of these players.

    Here's the 2013 dates for various transactions (and awards!)

    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/important_dates.jsp
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flipadelphia
    Posts
    5,612

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm pessemistic about Choo resigning.
    If Choo leaves, you almost have to keep Heisey around as a plan B to help cover CF. Cutting Heisey loose and then only having BHam and DRobinson to play CF is pretty thin. Now if we can get value for Heisey in a trade, I'm open to trading Heisey, I just can't see DFAing Heisey though.

    Sadly, I don't expect Choo back either, and I too would rather trade Heisey than DFA him. My expectation is for a De Jesus or McLouth type of signing who can play CF/LF with Hamilton and Ludwick in some weird platoon until somebody emerges at those spots full time.

  5. #19
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    8,534

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    I'm curious as to what people think another team is willing to give for Heisey, who's been either horrendous or injured in two of the last three seasons.

    Non tender him. Billy Hamilton would bring more value to the 25 man roster.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    23,209

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I like Hannigan and Heisey to stay, as both are likely to bounce back after injury plagued years.
    Just my opinion, but Hanigan and Heisey should be moved this off-season.

    The Reds catching, offensively, doesn't need a modest boost. It needs a huge upgrade. I'm willing to go with Mes for one more try, but he must be complimented by someone who can hit. They cannot risk another offensive disaster at that position.

    Heisey made over $1.3 million as a backup who seldom gets on base, hardly ever walks. And he's arbitration eligible. He's a good defender with power, but the Reds simply need more consistent, solid bats, even on the bench.

    Given his salary, I'm pretty sure the Reds will trade or non-tender Heisey. Hanigan, I don' t know what they will do, but the time has come to thank him for some very good years and replace him with a better hitter.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2013 at 07:18 PM.

  7. #21
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    I would like the Reds to non-tender Hanigan and Heisey, they simply can't hit enough to justify a roster spot at their respected positions, and both are arb. eligible and will likely cost 5 million total to retain. there are better replacements and they should be more financial friendly. Guys I like are:

    1) Carlos Ruiz-(35) had an injury filled year but was solid in 2012, could be a nice platoon with Mesoraco and be a nice #6 hitter.

    1a)Brayan Pena-(31) switch hitting catcher best suited for a platoon rule, would be a slight upgrade offensively from Hanigan

    2) Andres Torres-(35) switch hitter that's usually @ .250 .700 OBP can play all OF positions, would be nice 4/5 guy on the bench.

  8. #22
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    I just don't accept that Hannigan's 2013 was at all representative of what he can do. He never looked on pace at the plate. I think he was struggling to find his timing due to injuries.

    He is also a great defensive catcher. His intelligence and preparation are very high. I simply want him around no matter what he hits.

    Mesoraco is "due" (so long Dusty!). "Big time". Getting 4 out of 5 starts will provide him the opportunity to "get going".

    One aspect I've thought of is trading Mez, if he is still valued by a trade partner. The expectation of what he can do as a starter is just barely still alive. He could be a piece to put a trade for a difference maker over the top. (Leake & Mez for Profar or something like that)

    Outside of that, if you want offense, I forgo any thought of Choo and go get McCann in free agency. Otherwise, there isn't a clear cut improvement over what Mez and Hannigan are expected to produce in 2014.

  9. Likes:

    joshua (10-25-2013),wlf WV (10-19-2013)

  10. #23
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Heisey, I can see the need to save some money there. But the thing is he's still going to have that upside to have one awesome year where he hits .290 and has 50 xbh. It may never happen, but if it does it's likely in 2014 or 2015. He's a good option at 4th or 5th OF to cover all the spots and pinch hit pretty well. He's a key part of winning over the course of 162 games. Can he be upgraded? I don't really know. Another CF that can play all 3 spots really well and also hit .290? Those aren't just hanging off trees, although you could try to luck into one.

  11. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    23,209

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Heisey, I can see the need to save some money there. But the thing is he's still going to have that upside to have one awesome year where he hits .290 and has 50 xbh. It may never happen, but if it does it's likely in 2014 or 2015. He's a good option at 4th or 5th OF to cover all the spots and pinch hit pretty well. He's a key part of winning over the course of 162 games. Can he be upgraded? I don't really know. Another CF that can play all 3 spots really well and also hit .290? Those aren't just hanging off trees, although you could try to luck into one.
    When did Heisey hit .290?

    When did Heisey hit .270?

    This post sounds like he is irreplaceable. Based on what?
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2013 at 09:52 PM.

  12. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    23,209

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    DP
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2013 at 10:06 PM.

  13. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    23,209

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post

    Outside of that, if you want offense, I forgo any thought of Choo and go get McCann in free agency. Otherwise, there isn't a clear cut improvement over what Mez and Hannigan are expected to produce in 2014.
    Again, it sounds like Mes and Hanigan are irreplaceable except for Brian McCann. Based on what?

    Of 38 catchers in MLB with 250 PAs this past year, Mes was 30th and Hanigan was 36th in OPS.

    Why can't the Reds acquire one of the catchers who have hit better than the Reds' catchers?
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2013 at 10:10 PM.

  14. #27
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,325

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I'm curious as to what people think another team is willing to give for Heisey, who's been either horrendous or injured in two of the last three seasons.

    Non tender him. Billy Hamilton would bring more value to the 25 man roster.
    I agree entirely.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

  15. #28
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    When did Heisey hit .290?

    When did Heisey hit .270?

    This post sounds like he is irreplaceable. Based on what?
    It seems to me each team has their starting cf and then there is a list of 30 lateral candidates and marginal potential upgrades.

  16. #29
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Again, it sounds like Mes and Hanigan are irreplaceable except for Brian McCann. Based on what?

    Of 38 catchers in MLB with 250 PAs this past year, Mes was 30th and Hanigan was 36th in OPS.

    Why can't the Reds acquire one of the catchers who have hit better than the Reds' catchers?
    Backup outfielders and platoon catchers are so volatile I just can't be so sure I can find the right upgrade from a list of non free agents and old vets. Free agency is volatile too but if I want to upgrade I look to the best fa available

  17. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    23,209

    Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    It seems to me each team has their starting cf and then there is a list of 30 lateral candidates and marginal potential upgrades.
    I think there are many, many outfielders who would be an improvement over Heisey on offense. Because his BB/K rate is so low that it is a major negative.

    Heisey's BB/K rate was .18 this year. The previous year it was .17. These are unacceptably low. It shows that Heisey does not exercise good plate discipline, almost never walks, and strikes out pretty often.

    While I respect Heisey's other skills such as his defense, this low BB/K rate is exactly what the Reds don't need. They need more guys who make contact, take a walk, and hit with consistency.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2013 at 10:42 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator