Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Thanks for posting, but I do want to point out that this is a MLBTR original piece, written by a Pirates fan.

https://twitter.com/WilmothC

I'm not trying to say he is biased, only pointing out where is perspective is coming from.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

If Uggla ends up coming to Cincinnati, it better be because they're putting the DH into the NL and he's only going to be that for the Reds. I don't want him anywhere near second base unless he hits a double or is rounding the base during his HR trot.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

4. Likes:

757690 (10-22-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    If Uggla ends up coming to Cincinnati, it better be because they're putting the DH into the NL and he's only going to be that for the Reds. I don't want him anywhere near second base unless he hits a double or is rounding the base during his HR trot.
    But just think how much we could actually learn about the relative importance of 2B defense.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    But just think how much we could actually learn about the relative importance of 2B defense.
    I betcha the ground lost by putting Uggla on the field could be made up by having better defenders in the outfield...

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I betcha the ground lost by putting Uggla on the field could be made up by having better defenders in the outfield...
    I really think Hamilton has to be the starting CF. IMO, you can't waste any more of the incomparable speed that he possesses by further seasoning in the minors.

That immediately upgrades CF, significantly. After that I guess we can hope Choo would like to be the Cincinnati LF.

Ludwick could be moved, but could spell Choo against LHP and would in any event be a nice bat off the bench.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I really think Hamilton has to be the starting CF. IMO, you can't waste any more of the incomparable speed that he possesses by further seasoning in the minors.

That immediately upgrades CF, significantly. After that I guess we can hope Choo would like to be the Cincinnati LF.

Ludwick could be moved, but could spell Choo against LHP and would in any event be a nice bat off the bench.
    FWIW, those who said Billy has faced unproven pitching I have some numbers for you.

Games that Billy started:

Billy 0.500 (7-14)
    Joey 0.170 (2-12)
    Choo 0.200 (1-5)
    Bruce 0.550 (6-11)
    Phillips 0.140 (2-14)

Games in which Billy got an AB (batters may have faced different pitchers):

Billy 0.368 (7-19)
    Joey 0.25 (6-24)
    Choo 0.111 (2-18)
    Bruce 0.308 (8-26)
    Phillips 0.160 (4-25)

Yes Billy has a small sample size, but in that sample size, he hit better than 3 All Stars and 1 All Star snub. I am sure teams will figure him out and that average drops, especially given the Louisville numbers, but he still showed that he could hit.

The really telling stat to me is that when he starts, he hits pretty well, versus the pinch hitting and late game replacements where he didn't get one hit. Overall, I think that Billy probably hits better when he gets a couple ABs in a game. I think that come March, Billy has to be on the major league roster. There is only so much someone can develop in AAA. Greg Reynolds was considered one of the best AAA pitchers last year and we know how he turned out in the majors. I think Billy gets better hitting in the majors. I wouldn't just rush him into the leadoff spot for 600+ PAs. But I would definitely give him 2 to 3 starts a week. I think that gets him used to the majors and I think everyone knows how dangerous he can be off the bench. I mean the Reds were 27-22 in 1-run games. Could you imagine how different that record might be if Billy was ready to steal on the bench?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

11. Likes:

malcontent (10-24-2013),Old school 1983 (10-24-2013)

Hanigan was obviously playing hurt last year and had some bad luck at the plate. Does no one remember he's usually good for .260/.350/.330? Does nobody remember that only a year ago people wanted him in the 2 hole? There is no way he had just fallen off the cliff this fast unless it's mainly injury.

I'm not saying he has to start every day, but I doubt we'll find another catcher who can catch the staff this well, play solid defense and get on base 1/3 of the time.

Heisey I'm all for trading. With his tools and the flashes of good playing he's done, someone will want to take a look at him. He was clutch off the bench not that long ago.

I just hope we bring in a hitting coach that can get the most out of these guys. Some of these guys had amazing seasons 2 or 4 years ago and now look awful. I think a lot of that has to do with coaching...everyone seemed to have a different agenda at the plate this year. Hopefully Price can get these guys back on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Hanigan was obviously playing hurt last year and had some bad luck at the plate. Does no one remember he's usually good for .260/.350/.330? Does nobody remember that only a year ago people wanted him in the 2 hole? There is no way he had just fallen off the cliff this fast unless it's mainly injury.

I'm not saying he has to start every day, but I doubt we'll find another catcher who can catch the staff this well, play solid defense and get on base 1/3 of the time.

I can't speak for everyone else who wants Hanigan traded. I will say that on this team he may be a really bad fit. Devin Mesoraco will need to catch at least 4/5 of the time for the team to know what he is before he starts costing real money. How will Mesoraco be given that chance with Hanigan looming over his shoulder, and maybe even catching 2/5 if not 3/5 of the time.

Catchers Hanigan's age due fall off quickly, and usually ugly. When it goes it goes. Also his numbers have trended down 3 straight seasons.

All that said, I don't hate Hanigan, I just really believe he is a very bad fit moving forward once cost and production come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post

Heisey I'm all for trading. With his tools and the flashes of good playing he's done, someone will want to take a look at him. He was clutch off the bench not that long ago.

I just hope we bring in a hitting coach that can get the most out of these guys. Some of these guys had amazing seasons 2 or 4 years ago and now look awful. I think a lot of that has to do with coaching...everyone seemed to have a different agenda at the plate this year. Hopefully Price can get these guys back on the same page.
    Hanigan is 34. He's not going to be injured less. Nagging stuff compounds as guys age. These weren't freak injuries but wear and tear. Cut bait, get a solid lefty bat to share the spot with Mes and make that position really productive. Right now 1b and RF are the only productive spots on the field. Mes' success against LHP is a good start at catcher. A platoon lefty would be a good start. Catchers don't start 150 games anyhow. It's the perfect spot to take advantage of platoon splits.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I've come around to replacing Hanigan with a strong offensive left handed catcher. Short of that, I keep him, as I don't think 2 million is an over pay for his excellent defense and knowledge of our staff and divisional opponents. I'd also be willing to trade Mez and keep Hanigan with these considerations in mind and depending on the return.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I've come around to replacing Hanigan with a strong offensive left handed catcher. Short of that, I keep him, as I don't think 2 million is an over pay for his excellent defense and knowledge of our staff and divisional opponents. I'd also be willing to trade Mez and keep Hanigan with these considerations in mind and depending on the return.

I don't think Mesoraco is a defensive butcher out there though. And I don't understand the sentiment of trading a young, albeit unproven talent like Mesoraco for keeping a best case nearly done Hanigan.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I don't think Mesoraco is a defensive butcher out there though. And I don't understand the sentiment of trading a young, albeit unproven talent like Mesoraco for keeping a best case nearly done Hanigan.
    It would take quite a replacement to fill the role of primary catcher that Mez is heading to assume at some point. I think Salty could be a good fit. But if the return for Mez is good enough to effect improvement in 2014 and 2015, I'd consider it.

Phillips, Ludwick, Bailey to TOR for Reyes
    Sign Choo 17mil/yr 6 years
    Sign Granderson 15mil/yr 3 years
    Don't offer Arroyo
    Sign Salty 10mil/yr 3 years

Choo LF
    Reyes SS
    Votto
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Granderson CF
    Salty / Mez
    Cozart 2b

Latos
    Cueto
    Leake
    Cingrani
    Chapman or FA
    Stephenson

I think payroll would need to be 120 million or less.

19. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (11-16-2013),CoachBombay (11-14-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-28-2013)

Can I like my own post? LAWD.

Turn Off Ads?