Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Man Roster - 2014

Re: 40 Man Roster - 2014

I'd keep DRobinson and Partch on the 40 man if possible. Both are decent depth guys. I wouldn't be scared of losing Lamarre (doubt he ever makes the bigs).
    I'd keep Lamarre over DRob, especially now that Schumaker, who can play all 3 OF spots and hits lefthanded (just like DRob) is on the team for 2 years. Lamarre has a pretty nice ceiling and showed good improvement in AA last year. He's an excellent defender in CF, has speed and showed increasing power in 2013. Gotta keep him, IMO. Problem with DRob is that he's older and doesn't really use his speed effectively.

2. Likes:

757690 (11-20-2013),HokieRed (11-20-2013),REDREAD (11-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Lutz?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Barnhart is about as sure as it will get to be added. It seems that everyone else eligible could go either way IMO. Chad Rogers likely winds up being added, the rest are real tough calls as the guys with production lack flashy tools and the guys who can flash some tools lack the production. My guess would be that they add Junior Arias just to play it safe.

What happens if they don't get added?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    What happens if they don't get added?
    They're eligible for the Rule 5 draft and, therefore, at risk of being selected.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I think they will add LaMarre too. I don't know that they would lose him, but they often have him at the winter caravan, and Redsfest, so I think they still feel highly towards him.

My guess would be that they add Junior Arias just to play it safe.
    Agreed -- didn't realize he was eligible. He's got the kind of speed/basestealing prowess he could help a team off the bench as a 25th guy.

Teams generally protect pitchers because a drafting club can find room on a 12 man pitching staff for a Rule V pickup.

So it's probably more risky to expose a pitcher than a position player.

Barnhart will be protected, obviously, but I'd expect any decent pitchers like Rogers to get priority for protection by the Reds.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (11-21-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'd keep DRobinson and Partch on the 40 man if possible. Both are decent depth guys. I wouldn't be scared of losing Lamarre (doubt he ever makes the bigs).
    Agree.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Teams generally protect pitchers because a drafting club can find room on a 12 man pitching staff for a Rule V pickup.

So it's probably more risky to expose a pitcher than a position player.

Barnhart will be protected, obviously, but I'd expect any decent pitchers like Rogers to get priority for protection by the Reds.
    Agree. It also seems to me that teams are placing more emphasis on hard throwing bullpen arms lately. Also, LaMarre with only 15 PA's above AA and Arias with only a half season at A+ have not shown enough to indicate that they are ready to be on a ML roster. IMO, leaving them unprotected would be fairly safe.

What time is the deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What time is the deadline?
    Midnight.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

BHSC ‏@BHSCouncil 6m
    Congratulations to @Tucker_Barnhart who was added to #Reds 40-man roster!
    JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36 5m
    Very polished defensive catcher RT @BHSCouncil: Congratulations to @Tucker_Barnhart who was added to #Reds 40-man roster!

https://twitter.com/Reds

Reds have selected the contracts of C @Tucker_Barnhart, OF Juan Duran, OF @RyanLaMarre4 & RHP @SharkRogers...the 40-man roster is now at 40.

Did not see Duran coming.

Turn Off Ads?