Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

All of this KISS discussion got me wondering, what exactly is the conversation going to look like in another 8 (probably longer) years when Nickelback is up for discussion. I wouldnt' say I'm a Nickelback fan, don't own any CDs, downloads, etc... wouldnt' consider seeing them in concert or bringing them up on youtube, I know them for only 2 things, 1) the handful of songs that I've heard on the radio, and 2) the seemingly absolute hatred of their music.

As I mentioned before, I couldnt' play a note on any instrument to save my life, so I'm not really in position to critic anyone musically, but from what I've heard on the radio they don't deserve all the negative feedback that they do get. I've asked the question before, and I've never seen an answer that made me understood the seemingly universal hatred from the musically sophisticated crowd that they get. At any rate, the mention of ICP in relation to KISS got me thinking, so I looked them up on wiki and was surprised to find that they released their first record in 1995, and if I read things correctly, they'd be eligible for nomination 25 years removed from their first record. I doubt they get nominated their first year eligible but have been seemingly commericially successful enough that they'll be up for consideration and perhaps eventually nomination some day.

That is a day I look forward to on the internet; it may just break the day it happens.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can't see Nickelback ever being nominated.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I can't see Nickelback ever being nominated.
    No, but they were really good in helping Frodo get rid of that ring

The Replacements are a great college bar band. They would play their guts out until the drugs wore off. Take a break. Do more drugs. Then go back onstage and play their guts out. But they simply don't have the songs to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, imo.

And if Kiss gets in, Spinal Tap has to be next.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Nirvana, Replacements, NWA, Peter Gabriel, Yes.

I loved KISS when I was 6-9 years old, but then my musical tastes were much simpler then. I have a picture from my first communion party wearing a KISS shirt. When they took off the make-up, I said to myself, "Man, these guys stink." It's like overnight they transformed from a Glam Rock party band into the World's ugliest hair band. "Tears Are Falling" is a terrible song. There's a reason why KISS rarely play the songs from their no make-up era ever since they went back to wearing make-up.

I hope the Replacements get in. Nirvana will get in, but I hope it boosts the Pixies and Sonic Youth, who were the bands that had a lot of influence on Nirvana.

I still don't get why Chic has been nominated 8 times.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'm worried that the popularity of Daft Punk will boost Chic's chances'
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with any of these bands getting in. I'm not a KISS fan but they certainly were influential on a lot of people in the 70s and 80s. Remember, it's the Hall of Fame.
    This is the true crux of the problem with the selection process, IMO.

Save for "Heart Luck Woman" -- The only KISS song that I'll go out of my way to listen too -- I'm not particularly a KISS fan, but there's no denying that they had a much larger impact on the popular music world -- let's face it, it isn't really a "Rock And Roll" Hall Of Fame any more -- than several previously inducted acts. I can also state the same thing about acts that have been yet to even be nominated, such as ELO, Iron Maiden and Jethro Tull, to name a few.

The opinion of Critics plays way too large of a role in the selection process. And just to show that I'm not playing favorites, I'm perfectly fine with deserving, influential artists from genres that I really cannot stand (read: Beastie Boys and LL Cool J) inducted well ahead of critically acclaimed bands that I like (read: Replacements and Pixies) that just don't have a heck of a lot of material on their resume and/or didn't really impact the music world with a small catalog in such a short period of time the way that Nirvana did, which is virtually impossible to accomplish, I know.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Replacements might be my favorite band of all time...but I don't think they should get in before Motorhead.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-18-2013),RBA (10-19-2013)

If the Replacements were let in, wouldn't someone else have to be taken out?

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-18-2013),BillDoran (10-18-2013)

Still waiting for Cheap Trick to get a nod, 38 years into their career and still going strong.

15. Likes:

gilpdawg (10-18-2013),marcshoe (10-18-2013),PedroBourbon (10-18-2013),Revering4Blue (10-18-2013),westofyou (10-18-2013),Yachtzee (10-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    If the Replacements were let in, wouldn't someone else have to be taken out?
    Would the music world require a new stat? VORB? Value Over Replacements Band?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

No ELO and no Cheap Trick!! So much power pop left unloved

18. Likes:

919191 (10-18-2013),KittyDuran (10-18-2013),marcshoe (10-18-2013),Revering4Blue (10-18-2013),Yachtzee (10-18-2013)

How is Cat Stevens not in?

Nirvana
    Cat Stevens
    The Meters
    Kiss

LL Cool J as an influence of rock and roll? I don't really buy that. He was a chart topper, not an innovator. NWA is definitely an early innovator of rap, but I would need to see how it became rock and roll other than artists saying they listened to it.

Turn Off Ads?