Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Crazy story:

Saw Cheap Trick do a tribute to Sgt. Pepper's 50th anniversary at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. Their guitar tech was Donovan.
    I have that on DVD and CD. It was an awesome show. You were really lucky to see that.

I saw them in Cinci at the Taft theatre last summer. Great show, place wasn't 1/3 full, if that.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

2. Likes:

757690 (10-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Crazy story:

Saw Cheap Trick do a tribute to Sgt. Pepper's 50th anniversary at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. Their guitar tech was Donovan.
    Some interesting trivia about Donovan. His daughter is Ione Skye who played in the 80's classic Say Anything with John Cusak.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

5. Likes:

757690 (10-20-2013),Dave Collins (11-13-2013),Dom Heffner (10-20-2013),redsfandan (10-22-2013),Revering4Blue (10-20-2013)

Deep Purple and Yes should already be in there...and not because I even really like them but KISS should be as well...not for who they are now but for what they were. KISS set the benchmark for arena rock. Plus I really like Gene's kids. Heck just induct his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I did spend an entire evening sampling songs on Itunes....could not get into Mr. Cooper's stuff.
    You might very well change your mind if you listen to the Alice Cooper album "A Fistful of Alice". It was recorded live in 1996 at Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo club in San Lucus, Mexico. The sound (and energy level) is absolutely amazing, as well as an allstar lineup:

Alice Cooper – lead vocals
    Reb Beach – guitar, backing vocals
    Ryan Roxie – guitar
    Paul Taylor – keyboards, guitar
    Todd Jensen – bass, backing vocals
    Jimmy DeGrasso – drums
    Rob Zombie – guest vocals on Elected and Feed My Frankenstein
    Slash – lead guitar on Lost in America, Only Women Bleed and Elected
    Sammy Hagar – lead guitar on School’s Out
    Last edited by Dave Collins; 11-12-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I'll take a listen, Dave!

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its inductees for 2014 today. Hall & Oates, Nirvana and KISS are among the legendary performers that will be inducted this year.

Held at the Brooklyn Barclays Center in New York, the 29th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place on Thursday, April 10, and, for the first time in NY, will be open to the public.

Additional performers being inducted into Rock Hall include Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt and Cat Stevens
    In the cases of Hall & Oates and Cat Stevens, it's about time. IMO, though, Peter Gabriel, as a solo artist, should not be in ahead of Deep Purple.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Surprises me a bit. I didn't think KISS would go in so easily. And no Replacements.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Surprises me a bit. I didn't think KISS would go in so easily. And no Replacements.
    The Replacements are so fringy- great vand, nobody knows who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    In the cases of Hall & Oates and Cat Stevens, it's about time. IMO, though, Peter Gabriel, as a solo artist, should not be in ahead of Deep Purple.
    Hall and Oates are getting killed on some parts of the web right now but they were great.

Good point about Deep Purple. Gabriel is deserving, just seems odd he gets two
    inductions and DP isn't even in.

Hey, I do! I have several of their songs on my current playlist.

Always loved Deep Purple, too, with their deep, foggy music. Maybe next year, and maybe ELO will eventually score a nomination.

Personally, I'm particularly happy about Hall & Oates, Peter Gabriel, and Cat Stevens. Tea for the Tillerman was a great, trippy album that I've always weirdly associated with The White Album.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Without going on my usual ELO rant, it is good to see some seventies-era bands considered. Hall & Oates has been a huge snub.
    Agreed. On both parts. I know that Hall & Oates aren't to some people's tastes...but the sheer number of hits they had back in the 80's was astonishing.

And not having ELO in there...that's just stupid. Personally, I think the R&R hall of fame should be exactly that. Rock and Roll. Put rappers in a different venue. NWA and the Beatles should NEVER be in the same building. EVER!

Im going to repeat how thrilled I am with Hall and Oates getting in.

Daryl's voice is a treasure. Never sang a refrain the same way twice.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-24-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (12-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agreed. On both parts. I know that Hall & Oates aren't to some people's tastes...but the sheer number of hits they had back in the 80's was astonishing.

And not having ELO in there...that's just stupid. Personally, I think the R&R hall of fame should be exactly that. Rock and Roll. Put rappers in a different venue. NWA and the Beatles should NEVER be in the same building. EVER!
    I can buy this. Rap and rock are two different animals.

18. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (12-24-2013)

I have all their albums as well as all Westerbergs, he's a freaking treasure

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I have all their albums as well as all Westerbergs, he's a freaking treasure
    Oh, I love them. I could bring them up at a party Im at right now, Id be the one who knew who they were.

A treasure, yes, though.

Turn Off Ads?