Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Gonna be a sad day for the R&R HOF if KISS gets elected. Possibly the worst rock band of all-time. No hit songs, no great albums, etc ... just a lot makeup, a stage show designed to hide their lack of musical talent, and an odd cult following who were willing to spend their life savings on anything with the KISS logo on it. I have to give credit to Gene Simmons though. He somehow brainwashed a generation of KISS fans into making him filthy rich, without having one ounce of musical ability.

2. Likes:

Ravenlord (10-17-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (12-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I vote N.W.A and Cat Stevens. don't care about most of the rest.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Gonna be a sad day for the R&R HOF if KISS gets elected. Possibly the worst rock band of all-time. No hit songs, no great albums, etc ... just a lot makeup, a stage show designed to hide their lack of musical talent, and an odd cult following who were willing to spend their life savings on anything with the KISS logo on it. I have to give credit to Gene Simmons though. He somehow brainwashed a generation of KISS fans into making him filthy rich, without having one ounce of musical ability.
    If KISS gets in does that mean Insane Clown Posse is inducted in 15 years?

6. Likes:

westofyou (10-17-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (12-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Without going on my usual ELO rant, it is good to see some seventies-era bands considered. Hall & Oates has been a huge snub.
    You're right, those 70s bands sure are under-represented in the R&R HOF!

Nirvana seems obvious

NWA was at the forfront of the gangsta rap, which lead to a more mainstream acceptance of rap overall and the eventual acceptance of less "hard" rap in the general mainstream. I don't know if a rap group belongs in the Rock n' Roll hall of fame, but I guess that's a mute point since they're nominated.

Not a huge replacements fan, but seems like they'd get a nod for the altenative music crowd.

I don't get the hate for KISS. Granted I grew up beyond their prime, but I wouldn't call them talentless. I don't know where they're songs/albums stand in terms of topping the charts, nor am I musically inclined, I couldn't play an instrument to save my life, but they have a handful of songs that I would call "just plain fun". Rock n' Roll is as much about the show as it is the music. Its why bands like ICP or Marylin Manson continue to thrive in the music business, its why a 100% cute Britney Spears can sell a ton of records, its also why a "crazy" ragged lookin' Britney struggles to gain attention. KISS was huge in the 70s, then had a revilatizaion a few years ago. They may not be the best band musically in the history of music, but as a kid of the 80s (born in the late 70s) KISS always felt big to me.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Nirvana seems obvious

NWA was at the forfront of the gangsta rap, which lead to a more mainstream acceptance of rap overall and the eventual acceptance of less "hard" rap in the general mainstream. I don't know if a rap group belongs in the Rock n' Roll hall of fame, but I guess that's a mute point since they're nominated.

Not a huge replacements fan, but seems like they'd get a nod for the altenative music crowd.

I don't get the hate for KISS. Granted I grew up beyond their prime, but I wouldn't call them talentless. I don't know where they're songs/albums stand in terms of topping the charts, nor am I musically inclined, I couldn't play an instrument to save my life, but they have a handful of songs that I would call "just plain fun". Rock n' Roll is as much about the show as it is the music. Its why bands like ICP or Marylin Manson continue to thrive in the music business, its why a 100% cute Britney Spears can sell a ton of records, its also why a "crazy" ragged lookin' Britney struggles to gain attention. KISS was huge in the 70s, then had a revilatizaion a few years ago. They may not be the best band musically in the history of music, but as a kid of the 80s (born in the late 70s) KISS always felt big to me.
    I wouldn't have a problem with any of these bands getting in. I'm not a KISS fan but they certainly were influential on a lot of people in the 70s and 80s. Remember, it's the Hall of Fame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with any of these bands getting in. I'm not a KISS fan but they certainly were influential on a lot of people in the 70s and 80s. Remember, it's the Hall of Fame.
    KISS...that's a great debate. Because that catalog is weak. I LOVE them...I wear a KISS tshirt probably once a month...but as a whole there's not much there musically speaking. Depth, I mean.

Their best songs are sung by Peter Criss....such irony...they let him sing the slower songs because they were afraid their fans wouldn't respect them...and they turn out better than most of their harder stuff. Hard luck Woman is KISS doing Rod Stewart and it's a great song.

There's a documentary somewhere that tells the story of "Beth," and it's really one of the better stories in rock n roll.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Nirvana seems obvious

I read the thread backwards, didn't see this until after I posted my previous comments.

The last part of your paragraph there is pretty spot on- my only thing with them is that they are more remembered for the artwork on the albums, the makeup, the stage shows then the actual music. But that's simplifying it a bit. There's ten-twelve songs that are really good....and they were about fun...which is rock and roll.

It's a tough sell to voters probably because their legacy is more about other things than the music, at least from a perception standpoint.

What's funny to me is that the Mats are called "Alternative" they play straight ahead 3 chord rock n roll

Nirvana is a no-doubter, IMO.

Deep Purple deserves a nod. Along with Led Zep and Black Sabbath, they helped pioneer the hard rock and heavy metal sound. Induction into the HOF is a long overdue honor.

Will Dire Straits ever get a nomination?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

You know I'll really be interested when The Smiths and Joy Division get their long overdue nomination/induction.

15. Likes:

redsfandan (10-18-2013),Revering4Blue (10-17-2013),westofyou (10-17-2013),Yachtzee (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    KISS...that's a great debate. Because that catalog is weak. I LOVE them...I wear a KISS tshirt probably once a month...but as a whole there's not much there musically speaking. Depth, I mean.

Their best songs are sung by Peter Criss....such irony...they let him sing the slower songs because they were afraid their fans wouldn't respect them...and they turn out better than most of their harder stuff. Hard luck Woman is KISS doing Rod Stewart and it's a great song.

There's a documentary somewhere that tells the story of "Beth," and it's really one of the better stories in rock n roll.
    You may have already read this but here's an article about them on Grantland from January.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ll-part-2-kiss
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

When I think of them I get happy...I remember looking in the Gold Circle flyer as a kid and searching out the price for the solo albums...because I loved the artwork.

I collect rock memorabilia- and there was a guy who had the green room sign in sheet for one of MTV live shows in England....I paid more than I should have for the one with Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley (and a Def Leppard one post Steve Clark)....and I mounted this huge page with the cover art from the solo records...

They are everywhere in my childhood- from my older cousins, to my youngest years, through high school and a little beyond.

LOVE them...it just always seems we have to qualify them, and that alone gives me pause for the hall of fame....but...if they are that much a part of people...then why not?

They aren't Dylan- but I don't know that you need to be. And if they let Alice Cooper in....Christ, their catalog is every bit of his....and more.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    No hit songs? That is not a true statement. Doesn't mean they are good, but they had hits.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    What's funny to me is that the Mats are called "Alternative" they play straight ahead 3 chord rock n roll
    True, but Minor Threat played three chords too.

The Replacements did it at a time when back-to-basics garage rock wasn't considered cool or being played on the radio. Plus, you can hear their experience from the hardcore scene shine through along with The Beatles and their other influences in their music...

20. Likes:

marcshoe (10-17-2013),redsfandan (10-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?