Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty has a revelation on Cozart

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Jocketty has a revelation on Cozart

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty has a revelation on Cozart

I'd hardly call this a revelation. Since acquiring Suarez, Jocketty has indicated just what this article said; that Cozart is the presumed starter, but that there will be competition. This may be the first time that it's been specifically said Cozart will have to improve offensively to retain that position, but then again, that's sort of no-brainer, isn't it?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

4. Likes:

REDREAD (01-12-2015)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Walt on Suarez:

"We've seen him play a little bit and have the reports, but until we can get him into camp, it's hard to determine what kind of role he might have," Jocketty said.
    Haha- makes it sound as if he barely knows who this dude is, who he traded for.

I wouldn't play poker against Jocketty. He might not beat you, but he's not giving anything away.

Which reminds me, folks need to let up on all of the Reds beat reporters (3-4 of them). This FO is sealed tightly, nothing gets out. Fay's not at fault, other than not being able to spell. 😊

This is hardly a revelation. I don't think there has been anyone in the Reds organization that has been happy with the offensive performance put forth by Cozart. It's just been a matter of not having a viable candidate to give him some competition for the starting job and an apparent lack of opportunity to acquire a replacement from outside the organization before finally acquiring Suarez.

7. Likes:

Always Red (01-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    This is hardly a revelation. I don't think there has been anyone in the Reds organization that has been happy with the offensive performance put forth by Cozart. It's just been a matter of not having a viable candidate to give him some competition for the starting job and an apparent lack of opportunity to acquire a replacement from outside the organization before finally acquiring Suarez.
    Yeah, that's what I said too. I doubt Cozart is satisfied with his offensive performance. And competition never hurt anything.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

9. Likes:

Larkin Fan (01-12-2015)

Until you have a reasonable option for Cozart to compete against, it does no good to beat him up in the press. I'm sure this is not a new opinion in the Reds front office, just one they are finally able to do something about.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

757690 (01-12-2015),Old school 1983 (01-12-2015),REDREAD (01-12-2015),redsmetz (01-12-2015)

Jocketty has always liked competition at any and all positions. Throughout his history as GM, he's always tried to bring in someone to challenge an underperforming position.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

REDREAD (01-12-2015),redsmetz (01-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Walt on Suarez:

Haha- makes it sound as if he barely knows who this dude is, who he traded for.

I wouldn't play poker against Jocketty. He might not beat you, but he's not giving anything away.

Which reminds me, folks need to let up on all of the Reds beat reporters (3-4 of them). This FO is sealed tightly, nothing gets out. Fay's not at fault, other than not being able to spell. ��
    The fault I have with the beats is not that they don't get the scoop, it's that they don't ask.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

If the Reds can find a shortstop with a good glove and can hit .275 I'll be happy. We've had too many years of Cozart hitting .250 or below, and it has soured us at this point. The only thing I fear is that Phillips may lose a bit of his defensive prowess with age and that the next shortstop will have to make up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    If the Reds can find a shortstop with a good glove and can hit .275 I'll be happy. We've had too many years of Cozart hitting .250 or below, and it has soured us at this point. The only thing I fear is that Phillips may lose a bit of his defensive prowess with age and that the next shortstop will have to make up for that.
    .250 would be a nice improvement over last year.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

You're pretty much describing an All-Star caliber shortstop.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

18. Likes:

Mike Honcho (01-13-2015),Tom Servo (01-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    You're pretty much describing an All-Star caliber shortstop.
    In 2014 only 4 NL SS (with at least 300 PA) hit over .275: Tulowitzki, Castro, Ramirez, Hechavarria.
    Since Batting average is a pretty dated stat, let's look at wRC+. Again only 4 players with a wRC+ 115 or greater (above average): Tulowitzki, Ramirez, Peralta, Castro.

in 2013 5 NL SS (>300PA) hit over .275: Ramirez, Tulowitzki, Segura, Mercer, E. Cabrera, Desmond.
    Only 3 had a wRC+ over 115: Desmond, Tulowitzki, and Ramirez. Two were at 114 (Mercer, E. Cabrera)
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

You mean like Ozzie Guillen in 1991?

.273/.284/.340/.624

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-13-2015)

Suarez should also be able to compete at 2B. Suppose Suarez earns a spot one way or another with great spring, and it's close between Cozart and Phillips, I'd rather see Cozart get the nod because a demotion would probably be enough to get Phillips to accept a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Suarez should also be able to compete at 2B. Suppose Suarez earns a spot one way or another with great spring, and it's close between Cozart and Phillips, I'd rather see Cozart get the nod because a demotion would probably be enough to get Phillips to accept a trade.
    I doubt that's going to happen. If Cozart hits like 2014, he isn't even close to Phillips. If Cozart plays like 2011-2013, I doubt Suarez takes his job.

It would be nice for Suarez to earn a spot, but really I think BP is safe and it comes down to if Cozart hits or not.

Turn Off Ads?