Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want to see BP traded?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

90 56.96%
  • No

68 43.04%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Re: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Phillips is overrated and overvalued, especially now that he has a 100+ RBI season.

of course, i'd trade Latos, Bailey, and/or Hamilton if the deal was right. designating 'untouchable' players (and meaning it) in most situations is a sign of ineptitude.
    I'm all for finding out what Phillips might fetch. If the Reds can find a team that's willing to pay through the nose for Brandon Phillips, then by all means trade him. However, I think what you're mostly going to get is a lot of garbage like Dan Uggla and a not-very-enticing prospect.

What I don't want is a Brandon Phillips liquidation sale.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm all for finding out what Phillips might fetch. If the Reds can find a team that's willing to pay through the nose for Brandon Phillips, then by all means trade him. However, I think what you're mostly going to get is a lot of garbage like Dan Uggla and a not-very-enticing prospect.

What I don't want is a Brandon Phillips liquidation sale.
    Yep 2 words should warn us all, just two, D'Angelo Jimenez

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep 2 words should warn us all, just two, D'Angelo Jimenez
    D'angelo Jimenez was a nice player for a season and a half. What's wrong with him?

6. Likes:

Big Klu (10-23-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    No. Before y'all get hot and bothered about getting rid of Phillips, watch this http://youtu.be/QVFICer-5h0
    Cozart easily turns two on that ball without bare-handing it.

Not saying that he's not a great 2B. But then I think Jim Edmonds was also a great CF. I just don't think hot dogs require that much mustard.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    D'angelo Jimenez was a nice player for a season and a half. What's wrong with him?
    Since 2000 he has the second most abs as a reds 2nd basemen. He had a ops below the league average, and played some pretty forgettable baseball for Cincinnati. No he didn't suck, but he also didn't entice anyone and was out of the game by 30. That's enough of a reason (to me) to not want the Reds to make a deal to get rid of a contract (they just gave) and end with a hole they can't fill adequetly

Maybe what Brandon needs isn't a change of scenery, it's a stable pony. I've heard from a couple of places now that Brandon is somewhat withdrawn in the clubhouse. We know he's pretty sociable in public but maybe what he needs is a buddy. Doesn't have to be another player, it could be a coach or someone in the front office who he can hang with in the clubhouse before games and on the road. Sort of like how Cairo was last year. Reds fans who followed the team back in the 70s remember the trade that brought Joe Morgan to the Reds from HOU. Morgan had a rep back then and I can't recall if Pete suggested it or someone else but they put Joe's locker right next to Pete's. It wasn't necessarily a social thing outside the clubhouse but it gave him someone to interact with in the clubhouse. We know how well it turned out for Joe and the Reds. I'm not saying that'll bring up Brandon's OBP but other than OBP, he's not a bad player to have around. Sure, he's pricy but try getting someone as good for half the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Brandon thinks he's top dog. He's in a room full of people that know otherwise, but probably don't want to argue about it. That gets pretty awkward I bet. Frazier was a good addition to the mix because he can joke and has a water off his back mentality. But even Frazier got clowned by Phillips in that article. Maybe all this tension now is why back in July someone in the clubhouse should have fired back at Phillips if they felt he was being rude. Now it's just all this latent BS.

HA. And my wife watches Greys Anatomy, BORING!

Gary Burbank, where are you with "ALL MYY REDS!"

Votto could have come out and said to the media, "Brandon thinks he's the best player on this team, that's okay, the rest of us know it's me, maybe Shin-Soo, probably Jay, and the entire pitching staff. But that's okay, ya know, we love the guy." Then it becomes a character driven clubhouse and people just laugh and joke and play awesome and they win the World Series. Okay, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Since 2000 he has the second most abs as a reds 2nd basemen. He had a ops below the league average, and played some pretty forgettable baseball for Cincinnati. No he didn't suck, but he also didn't entice anyone and was out of the game by 30. That's enough of a reason (to me) to not want the Reds to make a deal to get rid of a contract (they just gave) and end with a hole they can't fill adequetly
    The funny thing is Jimenez sports a 92 OPS+ for his career and for BP's career it's 96. As I recall, (and correct me if I'm wrong, I was 13 years old when D'Angelo was with the Reds) Jimenez's career, at least as a Red, was cut short due to injury. But before that he was one of the top prospects in all of baseball as a shortstop (just like Phillips) and played some quality defense himself.

if anything, Brandon Phillips is the new D'Angelo Jimenez, only this time he was given a massive contract instead of let go as soon as he showed signs of decline. I support the Reds finding the next D'Angelo Jimenez...

Brandon Phillips & PTBNL or cash to the Orioles for Jonathan Schoop and Eduardo Rodriguez.

Homer Bailey to the Rangers for Martin Perez and Joey Butler.

Aroldis Chapman to the Tigers for Nick Castellanos.

Plug Perez into the rotation, and let the quartet of Frazier, Castellanos, Schoop, and Butler battle it out for the 2B, 3B, and LF slots. There's definitely a lot of risk here since these guys are unproven, but there's some upside as well, and it helps to bolster IF and SP depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Brandon Phillips & PTBNL or cash to the Orioles for Jonathan Schoop and Eduardo Rodriguez.

Homer Bailey to the Rangers for Martin Perez and Joey Butler.

Aroldis Chapman to the Tigers for Nick Castellanos.

Plug Perez into the rotation, and let the quartet of Frazier, Castellanos, Schoop, and Butler battle it out for the 2B, 3B, and LF slots. There's definitely a lot of risk here since these guys are unproven, but there's some upside as well, and it helps to bolster IF and SP depth.
    Wasn't Joey Butler DFA'd and picked up by the Cardinals at the end of September?

Update:

87 Yes
    65 No

*More yes votes than no votes since the Guerrero signing and the Uggla rumor.*
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

What if the Braves would include Alex Wood with Uggla (for BP)?

Yes or no?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

D'Angel Jiminez had a .751 OPS in Cincinnati. Brutal defender, but he wasn't a bad player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    D'Angel Jiminez had a .751 OPS in Cincinnati. Brutal defender, but he wasn't a bad player.
    Interestingly, FanGraphs UZR had him as a plus defender both seasons. I remember him being a well regarded defender at SS, was he really brutal at 2B?

Turn Off Ads?