Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want to see BP traded?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

90 56.96%
  • No

68 43.04%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Re: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Brandon Phillips is overrated defensively. There, I said it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Brandon Phillips, Sharky Rogers and cash to Detroit for Rick Porcello

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In addition, the ideas that are getting tossed around in the name of saving the Reds money on Phillips seem to wind being deals that will cost the Reds more money.
    IOW, we're kinda screwed.

The idea should be to trade Phillips for salary relief, use said salary relief to re-sign Choo, then look to deal Bailey for another bat somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Infante = downgrade (you can argue over how much, but it's still a downgrade). And he will cost money (on top of the mammothly expensive OF options you listed), so the Reds will have even less to lock up Latos and/or Bailey if they go that route.

Guerrero - no thank you.

Profar is a SS. The kid probably wants nothing to do with a team that wants to stick him at 2B. He could probably upgrade Cozart's bat, but he didn't look particularly ready to match what Phillips gives you at the plate.

Henry Rodriguez - absolutely not.

Again, here's my problem: OF < Choo and 2B < Phillips does not improve the Cincinnati Reds. So I'm seeing ideas that cost a lot of money, potentially involve the Reds also trading a SP and they all seem to be plans to morph the Reds into an 85-win team.
    I don't view Infante as much of a downgrade from Phillips TBH. They're pretty similar with the stick and Infante is also an above-average defender. I highly doubt Infante will get 4/$50M. And they're the same age (in my mind, this analysis shows just how overrated of a baseball player Phillips is).

The idea is that the Reds are going to tread water at 2B, lose on Choo (but not as badly as throwing Hamilton to the wolves) and get a net gain somewhere else.

All that said, I'd trade Chapman before Phillips...

Depends on the return, same with any other player

Trading Phillips so the Reds can afford Choo just means that in the future, we will be complaining about paying a declining Choo $25M a year instead of complaining about paying a declining Phillips $15M a year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

9. Likes:

M2 (10-18-2013)

I need more choices before I can vote -- if its just to dump him no. If it is to make the team better and fill needs, then sure.
    Where we gonna go?

Infante = downgrade (you can argue over how much, but it's still a downgrade). And he will cost money (on top of the mammothly expensive OF options you listed), so the Reds will have even less to lock up Latos and/or Bailey if they go that route.

Guerrero - no thank you.

Profar is a SS. The kid probably wants nothing to do with a team that wants to stick him at 2B. He could probably upgrade Cozart's bat, but he didn't look particularly ready to match what Phillips gives you at the plate.

Henry Rodriguez - absolutely not.

Again, here's my problem: OF < Choo and 2B < Phillips does not improve the Cincinnati Reds. So I'm seeing ideas that cost a lot of money, potentially involve the Reds also trading a SP and they all seem to be plans to morph the Reds into an 85-win team.
    1.) I think you are forgetting that in the 'mammothly' expensive OF trading scenarios I have the Reds sending away a lot of expensive pieces as well. My Dream scenario we are giving just about as much as we are taking in plus getting some cash too. My Possible scenario, we are actually unloading more than we are taking in. The realistic one is a wash. Plus I think you are forgetting that we will also be unloading Broxton's and Marshall's contracts soon too. Therefore, the deals are not that expensive if at all. Also, like I stated, the scenarios would not involve us resigning Choo either, which the Reds are trying to do at the moment. Furthermore, with attendance, looming TV deal, and the internet revenue, I would think the Reds feel pretty good about money in the coming years.

2.) I am not sure why you are saying no thank you to Guerrero. Scouts like him and 7 teams are being linked to him. He is projected to be a 2B. He is only 26 years old and hits for power too. Expected contract of $4.5M a year also doesn't put his risk too high either.

3.) Not sure how you know what Profar wants to do. I would say the kid probably wants to play for any team that can win and can put him in the infield. Texas can't even do that for him. At the plate is questionable for a rookie season, but he was rated as the number one prospect for a reason and I am sure that he can adjust well too. SP would be thin without Homer, but the plethora of SP on the market as well as a possible Chapman move to the rotation should solve that.

4.) I agree that HRod is no Brandon Phillips, but I think he will be a competent replacement and not a complete drop off. Sometimes you have to take a slight hit in one position to completely upgrade another one. In all of my cases, we are hugely upgrading LF not only for 2014, but for a few more season too, and there is not complete void at 2B either.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Trading Phillips so the Reds can afford Choo just means that in the future, we will be complaining about paying a declining Choo $25M a year instead of complaining about paying a declining Phillips $15M a year.
    Yeah I agree with you. At first, I thought that the Reds should shell out whatever it takes to get Choo back, but now that I see the market and what Boras wants for him, I would gladly give him a QO and send him on his way.

Choo's tools seem like they can decline very quickly as he ages. That is why I like the Reds to try to get Kemp. We would be paying him the same money we would pay Choo and it works out better in the long run. Chance to unload BP's and maybe Ludwick's contracts as well as having a power righty bat in the lineup. Not to mention his 6 years left are for ages 28 to 34 for Kemp so he is not going to be a complete dinosaur when he becomes FA elligible.

UPDATE:

26 Yes
    23 No

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't want him traded because the Reds don't have a 2B to replace him, and getting one who is as good defensively will cost close to what they're paying him.

However, if the Reds can get good value for Phillips, and a decent fielding 2B back in the trade, then I wouldn't be upset.
    ^ This. Can't really add anything better.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    ^ This. Can't really add anything better.
    That is why I made this thread. Obviously it would be dumb to just give him away. I wanted to know how many people think he should be traded, but I also meant for people to add their trade scenarios they would accept for BP to be traded.

I listed the ones I have heard or read and have liked, but I want to see what everybody else thinks. Maybe if there is another scenario out there that hasn't been already said that makes sense for this team. I do not know much about the AL so maybe there is a trade partner out there that makes sense?

I'm a big believer that the Reds need guys who know how to get on base. BP doesn't and Choo does. As BP ages the only above average skill he has, his defense, will continue to deteriorate. Choos most valuable skill, getting on base, ages much better than most skills. While overpriced Choo will continue to bring value to a team in his mid 30's while there's a great chance that BP brings no value to a team in his mid 30's. Long story short, Choo is a much better bet at $20 mil than BP at $15.

I love Choo, but he's not getting signed. The Reds should probably do a smallish rebuild/stocking of the minors. Trading Phillips doesn't do a whole lot on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Brandon Phillips is overrated defensively. There, I said it.
    He's not. But defense isn't as important in the post roid/pitching glut era we're in. So...

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?