Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want to see BP traded?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

90 56.96%
  • No

68 43.04%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Re: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

trade him for a few kiwi's and let's move on...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The last couple weeks of the 2013 season? Something affected his play.
    His attitude was so bad, it affected Jay Bruce's play. He had a worse final weeks than Phillips.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Because I think there's little chance of him playing to his contract, and every dollar is important, if there is a deal out there for salary relief and a modest return, then I'd support it.
    This is where I'm at. The money is better spent elsewhere and he seems to be more replaceable by the day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Honestly, what I'm seeing on the board in regard to Phillips makes the "Bronson Arroyo must never be allowed to pitch again" protestations of two winters ago look reasoned and erudite.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Crumbley (10-19-2013),marcshoe (10-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Honestly, what I'm seeing on the board in regard to Phillips makes the "Bronson Arroyo must never be allowed to pitch again" protestations of two winters ago look reasoned and erudite.
    The guy is noticeably slowed. If I thought he was going to be the Brandon Phillips we've seen over the last five years, I would want to keep him, I just think that player no longer exists. I think we're entering a phase where a .700 OPS is a top end, that ever reducing speed will start to show up in his range and the jaw dropping defense will be a thing of the past. I don't want to trade the 30/30 Brandon Phillips who is easily the best defender in the game. I want to deal the guy who is morphing into the late career Orlando Hudson who has a salary that precludes the team from getting upgrades elsewhere.

The question isn't whether we want to go from a downgrade of Phillips to obtain a downgrade of Choo, it's whether we want to upgrade from what is left after Choo leaves and re-start at 2B with a player who is on the upswing. Keep Phillips and you're stuck with Hamilton/Robinson. Deal Phillips and you get Choo or some other attractive player for CF to go with Phillips' replacement. IMO, even if Phillips replacement is a journeyman replacement level guy, the team is better with that and Choo than with Phillips and the in house CF options.

If it's possible to keep Choo (or some similar offensive force) and Phillips (I don't think so), then keep him, but he's owed a ton of money for declining production and if that prevents getting better players at other spots, then he's gotta go IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (10-19-2013)

If Castellini/Jocketty decide to unload Brandon Phillips despite his immense popularity then they must feel very strongly that he is a serious problem in the clubhouse. I doubt they actually pull the trigger and get rid of him. This might just be a "shot across the bow" to jolt Brandon into line.

If there's one thing Cincinnati is good at, it is running their star athletes out of town.

For those offended by the idea of trading BP....

Just realize, BP's deal may have/had been the reason Bailey,Choo,or Latos will not be with the team in 2 years. And at that point you are still on the hook for the last 2 years of BP.

I understand both sides here...but having BP at the top of your "guys you want to trade" list is hardly a case of Cincinnati eating its own, or whatever you call it.

12. Likes:

gilpdawg (10-18-2013),malcontent (10-19-2013),mth123 (10-18-2013),oregonred (10-19-2013),Revering4Blue (10-18-2013),Rojo (10-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    When has Phillip's loud mouth ever affected his play or his desire? The guy's been the ultimate team player since day one.
    Lol.....just spit Mt Dew on my phone. Thanks

14. Likes:

malcontent (10-19-2013),oregonred (10-19-2013)

I voted, but it's not allowing me to see the poll results.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    If there's one thing Cincinnati is good at, it is running their star athletes out of town.
    Yeah a bunch of meanies up there. Booing Matt Schaub for getting injured last week at Paul Brown Stadium and stuff...

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't get this one. Is his declining production on the other side of 30 not a red flag. Maybe 2014 is a season too early, but with the imminent 10/5 rights and the onfield decline (and now the more frequent off-field issues) - gotta find a way to get out from under this 50M contract. Wanting to move a .700 OPS 2B making 12.5M over the next four seasons is poor reasoning and uneducated? Really.

Walt has spent an absolute ton of foolish money since the start of the 2012 season. This is the only one that he can largely get out from under going forward.

18. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (10-19-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Walt has spent an absolute ton of foolish money since the start of the 2012 season.
    I agree, but what if Castellini basically told Jocketty to give Votto and Phillips those extensions?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I agree, but what if Castellini basically told Jocketty to give Votto and Phillips those extensions?
    Very possible. More referencing the Broxton, Ludwick, Hanrahan and Ondrusek multi-year deals. Likely to be ~20% of the team payroll in 2014. Madness.

Votto's was an absurd overpay into his 40th birthday so Bob probably dictated to Walt to lock him up with whatever it took.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The only thing ridiculous about Joey Votto's signing is the ridiculous way Reds fans are beginning to talk about it, and it's super disappointing although not that very surprising.

22. Likes:

marcshoe (10-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?