Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want to see BP traded?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

90 56.96%
  • No

68 43.04%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Re: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I don't view Infante as much of a downgrade from Phillips TBH. They're pretty similar with the stick and Infante is also an above-average defender. I highly doubt Infante will get 4/$50M. And they're the same age (in my mind, this analysis shows just how overrated of a baseball player Phillips is).

The idea is that the Reds are going to tread water at 2B, lose on Choo (but not as badly as throwing Hamilton to the wolves) and get a net gain somewhere else.

All that said, I'd trade Chapman before Phillips...
    If you think the situation's that bleak, then just blow it up and rebuild.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Brandon Phillips is overrated defensively. There, I said it.
    I agree and suspect that a few scouts do as well.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    2.) I am not sure why you are saying no thank you to Guerrero. Scouts like him and 7 teams are being linked to him. He is projected to be a 2B. He is only 26 years old and hits for power too. Expected contract of $4.5M a year also doesn't put his risk too high either.
    He lacks athleticism and there are concerns his bat is slow for MLB pitching.

3.) Not sure how you know what Profar wants to do. I would say the kid probably wants to play for any team that can win and can put him in the infield.
    If you've grown up as a SS and were just recently rated the top prospect in MLB at SS, you want to play SS. Profar also offers by far his biggest impact as a SS. Regardless, he'd be a downgrade from Phillips. Makes a lot more sense to trade for Profar, put him at SS where he'd upgrade Cozart and where he's got a long-term future, and allow him him to play next to Phillips in the keystone.

4.) I agree that HRod is no Brandon Phillips, but I think he will be a competent replacement and not a complete drop off. Sometimes you have to take a slight hit in one position to completely upgrade another one.
    You're talking about the Henry Rodriguez with the career .637 OPS in AAA? The one with the cast iron hands and glove? He's incompetent in the minors. He's a complete dropoff from Cesar Izturis. He couldn't carry the jock of a 2B who couldn't carry Brandon Phillips' jock.

5. Likes:

westofyou (10-18-2013)

Let's say the Reds make Price the manager.

Assuming he's back, how will that change affect Phillips?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Brandon Phillips is overrated defensively. There, I said it.
    Second best in the league behind Barney according to both advanced and old school defensive stats. 10+ UZR last year, same as he has most of his career. He may lose a step in the future, but he hasn't yet.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Henry Rodriguez = Luis Quiñones

(Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Rodriguez other than in his brief cups of coffee with the Reds the past two years. But every time I see him, his game just screams "Louie Q" to me.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Let's say the Reds make Price the manager.

Assuming he's back, how will that change affect Phillips?
    I'll play along. Price will be expected to run a tighter ship, since Dusty's loosey-goosey approach is likely viewed as the root of the club's problems. BP will chafe at being reined in. He either a) accepts that it's for his own good and complies, b) vents about it in both professional and social media and lets it affect his performance sometimes, or c) goes feet first into "Operation Shutdown" and forces a trade.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Second best in the league behind Barney according to both advanced and old school defensive stats. 10+ UZR last year, same as he has most of his career. He may lose a step in the future, but he hasn't yet.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what a guy has to do in order to establish his defensive chops beyond what Phillips has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I'll play along. Price will be expected to run a tighter ship, since Dusty's loosey-goosey approach is likely viewed as the root of the club's problems. BP will chafe at being reined in. He either a) accepts that it's for his own good and complies, b) vents about it in both professional and social media and lets it affect his performance sometimes, or c) goes feet first into "Operation Shutdown" and forces a trade.
    I can't see (c), but I agree that (a) and (b) are both real possibilities.

Bob and Walter may be worried that (b) is the most likely outcome, in which case the die is cast.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure what a guy has to do in order to establish his defensive chops beyond what Phillips has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    When has Phillip's loud mouth ever affected his play or his desire? The guy's been the ultimate team player since day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Henry Rodriguez = Luis Quiñones

(Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Rodriguez other than in his brief cups of coffee with the Reds the past two years. But every time I see him, his game just screams "Louie Q" to me.)
    Good comp. And to be honest, I'd do cartwheels if HRod can help the Reds the way Louie Q did. He was a nice backup who delivered some key hits now and then.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Shopping Brandon Phillips

By Zach Links [October 18 at 4:11pm CST]

The Reds decided a month ago that they will shop Brandon Phillips this winter and intend to trade him, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). While there are several contending clubs with questions at second base to address this offseason, finding an attractive deal for Phillips could prove to be challenging.

Phillips, 32, is coming off of a down season and is owed $50MM through the 2017 season. The second baseman slashed .261/.310/.396 in 606 plate appearances in 2013, down from his previous six seasons in Cincinnati where he hit .280/.329/.446. Despite having a healthy amount of money left on his deal, Phillips openly complained about his contract earlier this year after the club re-upped Joey Votto with a ten-year, $225MM deal.

Teams with openings or potential openings at second base include the Dodgers, Yankees, and Orioles.

I'd love to see him traded, but doubt another team will think his contract/mouth will be worth his declining production. One of the Twitter comments to the news the Reds were looking to trade him was "Good Luck".That pretty much sums up my feelings on the news the Reds are actively shopping him.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    When has Phillip's loud mouth ever affected his play or his desire? The guy's been the ultimate team player since day one.
    The last couple weeks of the 2013 season? Something affected his play.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?