Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want to see BP traded?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

90 56.96%
  • No

68 43.04%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Re: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The only thing ridiculous about Joey Votto's signing is the ridiculous way Reds fans are beginning to talk about it, and it's super disappointing although not that very surprising.
    Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions. Mine is that, although Votto's contract isn't 'ridiculous', it IS one of many contracts where the Reds gave more than they had to or should've.

I'm indifferent about whether BP should be dealt. His offense is overrated and his personality is a mixed bag (helps make him a fan favorite but he doesn't have the best judgement when he opens his mouth). The flip side is elite defense most of the time. But, the bottom line is if dealing him is part of a grand plan that improves the chances of the Reds getting into the World Series then I'd wish BP all the best in his next stop (except when he's playing against the Reds of course).

2. Turn Off Ads?

With regard to a proposal to trade anyone my first response is always "it depends"-what do the Reds get in return? If the Reds had the young Willie Mays I would trade him for the young Mickey Mantle if the young Whitey Ford was also thrown in.
    If he is healthy I expect Phillips to play better next season than he did during the second half of 2013, and he is still a good fielder, but I do not like his contract and his mouth is a detriment. I would be open to trading him but it totally depends upon the return.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

4. Likes:

Red Raindog (10-19-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The only thing ridiculous about Joey Votto's signing is the ridiculous way Reds fans are beginning to talk about it, and it's super disappointing although not that very surprising.
    Fans are mirroring what they're getting in the local media, from what I can see from my vantage point outside the market. If there is a beat writer or a sports radio host or a local TV personality consistently talking up Joey Votto since he signed his LTC, I haven't run across them. What I'm reading and hearing in the Cincinnati media is a lot of criticism that he's not producing at the level of that contract.

It's hard to fault casual fans for believing what they're told in the media.

Some of those same fans are incredulous about the shopping of BP, because the media wasn't offended by BP at all. He's a walking quote machine from their perspective.
    /r/reds

6. Likes:

RedsManRick (10-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Fans are mirroring what they're getting in the local media, from what I can see from my vantage point outside the market. If there is a beat writer or a sports radio host or a local TV personality consistently talking up Joey Votto since he signed his LTC, I haven't run across them. What I'm reading and hearing in the Cincinnati media is a lot of criticism that he's not producing at the level of that contract.

It's hard to fault casual fans for believing what they're told in the media.

Some of those same fans are incredulous about the shopping of BP, because the media wasn't offended by BP at all. He's a walking quote machine from their perspective.
    Yeah, that's it.

Phillips played injured for a good part of the season. He was given a responsibility to drive in runs, which he did. His defense was stellar, despite injuries. He played hard, and was the only position player on the team who played with fire and didn't act like a robot. And his supposed "mouth"? The airing of dirty laundry regarding his contract wasn't wise, but that's the only thing that bothered me slightly. The c Trent thing didn't bother me, it's good to see a guy on this team actually get fired up. The swag comments that were said in an article that was supposed to be an entertaining read didn't bother me, and in fact I agreed ( and TV ratings and slowing popularity agree).

Meanwhile, mr. $225 million was an error machine, and he himself admitted that he never got things going offensively. That was obvious all year long to anyone watching.

8. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (10-19-2013)

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/m...andon-phillips

Braves may be interested in Brandon Phillips

David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves may be interested in acquiring Brandon Phillips from the Reds provided that they take Dan Uggla as part of the deal.

The Braves would also likely have to include a prospect or two to sweeten the deal. Uggla still has two years and $26 million remaining on his deal with the Braves, while Phillips is still owed $50 million over the next four years.

Source: David O'Brien on Twitter

I'm all for taking on someone else's problem to get rid of ours I'm I'm not desperate enough to take on Uggla. My motivation is to get better offensively and Uggla doesn't do that.

11. Likes:

Red Raindog (10-19-2013)

If Uggla has a reasonable contract, you make the deal and don't think twice. He can always be relegated to the bench or retraded. The most important thing the Reds will likely need this offseason is money flexibility. They don't have much to trade pitchingwise given all the injuries to the rotation (in other words, I can't see Bailey being moved this offseason given Cingrani's and Cueto's tentativeness and the questions surrounding Chapman's starting). Obviously, they have nothing to trade offensively. If they're going to improve this offseason, they're going to have to have the cash to do it.

13. Likes:

mth123 (10-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If Uggla has a reasonable contract, you make the deal and don't think twice.
    He doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He doesn't
    That's that then.

If Uggla has a reasonable contract, you make the deal and don't think twice. He can always be relegated to the bench or retraded. The most important thing the Reds will likely need this offseason is money flexibility. They don't have much to trade pitchingwise given all the injuries to the rotation (in other words, I can't see Bailey being moved this offseason given Cingrani's and Cueto's tentativeness and the questions surrounding Chapman's starting). Obviously, they have nothing to trade offensively. If they're going to improve this offseason, they're going to have to have the cash to do it.
    Trading Phillips as a salary dump won't give the Reds much pay flex, as they have no replacement for him at 2B. Getting a decent 2B will cost most of wafts saved by trading Phillips, or a bunch of prospects that the Ress can't afford to give up or don't have.

If Cast sees Phillips as a clubhouse cancer, that's one thing, but trading him just to get rid of god contract makes zero sense.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Trading Phillips as a salary dump won't give the Reds much pay flex, as they have no replacement for him at 2B. Getting a decent 2B will cost most of wafts saved by trading Phillips, or a bunch of prospects that the Ress can't afford to give up or don't have.

If Cast sees Phillips as a clubhouse cancer, that's one thing, but trading him just to get rid of god contract makes zero sense.
    It's makes a bunch of sense. If this front office can't find a 2nd baseman who can OPS .700 for relatively cheap then they should just hang it up.

He doesn't
    Taking his contract saves the Reds 34 million if the Braves takes Phillips' contract. It may be the best deal the Reds can make for Phillips, financially. It becomes a bird in the hand question. Best to take the Braves offer, not knowing what else may be out there?
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 10-19-2013 at 08:26 PM.

It's makes a bunch of sense. If this front office can't find a 2nd baseman who can OPS .700 for relatively cheap then they should just hang it up.
    A second baseman who OPS .700 with average defense is a replacement level player. I'm sure the Reds can find that, but why would they want that? Do you really want Willie Bloomquist as the Reds everyday 2B year? I'd rather keep Phillips and pay him what he's owed.

20. Likes:

M2 (10-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Taking his contract saves the Reds 34 million if the Braves takes Phillips' contract. It may be the best deal the Reds can make for Phillips, financially. It becomes a bird in the hand question. Best to take the Braves offer, not knowing what else may be out there?
    It saves the Reds nothing for 2013-14. In fact, he costs the Reds a few million more. It's nice to think ahead, but why downgrade the team now, just to save some money a few years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I just don't get this. If Phillips is properly used, he's a 6 or 7 hole hitter (and a pedestrian one at that). Do you really think it will take $11 or $12 Million per year to do that? Do you think it will take 4 years at $50 Million? Trading Phillips and signing a reasonable facsimile should provide oodles of payflex. And dealing Phillips shouldn't be the only move of this type the Reds do this offseason.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?