Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want to see BP traded?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

90 56.96%
  • No

68 43.04%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Re: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Not wild about taking Uggla. For me to do it I would need the Bavos to take Broxton as well and send us two (preferably three) of RHP Jordan Walden, RHP Aaron Northcutt, C Christian Bethancourt, OF Joey Terdlosovich & IF Edward Salcedo.

Even then, as I think more about it, I probably wouldn't do it. Doubt Atlanta would either. I'd rather target LA. If Atlanta wants Phillips bad enough maybe I'd get another team involved though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm not opposed to trading Phillips. Maybe you could even say I'm in favor of it. But trading any warm body for Dan Uggla would be ignorant. And I think Walt knows that. Just because the Braves want to do this deal (as we've heard) doesn't mean the Reds would have interest.

The Indians lost Choo, but made some other additions and made the playoffs. The Red Sox lost Adrian Gonzalez among others, and they're in the World Series. The Cards lost ALBERT PUJOLS, and they're the same as they've ever been.

If we can trade BP while improving the roster, you do it 100 times out of 100.

Sorry for not updating over the weekend, I was pretty busy.

Results as of right now are:

71 Yes
    56 No
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Brandon Phillips for Paul Janish

Get it done, walt!

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-21-2013)

I voted no. I don't see any scenario that works.

I say keep the powder dry til July. Walt ate up the payflex last winter with some clowny contracts. We now have several "sell low" guys who might actually fetch something if they turn around in the first three months of 2014.

You still have to make a decision on Arroyo and fill center (and lead-off). I wouldn't offer Arroyo a QO and spend his salary space in the bargain bin. MLBTraderumors seem to think Nate McClouth will get a two-year $10M. Chris Young ought to be awful cheap.

By July if the Reds aren't a juggernaut, you may still have some guys who've recovered some value (plus they're a half-year less contract committment). BP, Broxton, Ludwick, McClouth, Young may all garner some interest.

For 2015, maybe Hamilton has forced his way into the line-up, you still have a terrific pitching staff, Stephenson/Winker/Irvin are all that much closer to show time and you have some nice pay-flex to shore up needs.

It's a look ahead to 2015 without totally giving up on 2014.
    Last edited by Rojo; 10-21-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I voted no. I don't see any scenarior that works.

I say keep the powder dry til July. Walt ate up the payflex last winter with some clowny contracts. We now have several "sell low" guys who might actually fetch something if they turn around in the first three months of 2014.

You still have to make a decision on Arroyo and fill center (and lead-off). I wouldn't offer Arroyo a QO and spend his salary space in the bargain bin. MLBTraderumors seem to think Nate McClouth will get a two-year $10M. Chris Young ought to be awful cheap.

By July if the Reds aren't a juggernaut, you may still have some guys who've recovered some value (plus they're a half-year less contract committment). BP, Broxton, Ludwick, McClouth, Young may all garner some interest.

For 2015, maybe Hamilton has forced his way into the line-up, you still have a terrific pitching staff, Stephenson/Winker/Irvin are all that much closer to show time and you have some nice pay-flex to shore up needs.

It's a look ahead to 2015 without totally giving up on 2014.
    Imagine if Chapman settles nicely into the rotation and Broxton does the same as the closer. Then in some sense the payroll becomes much better balanced. It also makes Broxton movable again, if needed. I guess the same can be said for Marshall. 3 players with 3 big questions that if answered well, could save this team in 2014.

I don't mind McClouth, just avoid a 3rd year buyout, etc.

Uggla has a career .340 OBP. He had a bad year, but he might be rejuvinated in Cinci. Ya never know.

He’s also played well at Great American Ball Park, hitting .296/.389/.663 with 10 home runs in just 27 games here.
    Got the above from the C Trent article.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 10-21-2013 at 03:30 PM.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-22-2013)

Now that Guerrero has signed with the Dodgers, my answer to this question is NO.

Unless the Dodgers give up some combination of Kemp, Pedersen, Seager, et al. I don't see the point in moving Phillips. If his contract precludes us from giving Choo a 5-year, $100 million deal, I'm fine with that too. I have no interest in Uggla, and unless Atlanta is going to give us Heyward, Simmons, or Sims/Bethancourt on top of Uggla, I have no interest in doing a deal with them. Sure the Yankees could overpay if they lose Cano, but I doubt that happens and I'm not even sure what we'd want from them (they also don't have any prospects that excite me).
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Now that Guerrero has signed with the Dodgers, my answer to this question is NO.

Unless the Dodgers give up some combination of Kemp, Pedersen, Seager, et al. I don't see the point in moving Phillips. If his contract precludes us from giving Choo a 5-year, $100 million deal, I'm fine with that too. I have no interest in Uggla, and unless Atlanta is going to give us Heyward, Simmons, or Sims/Bethancourt on top of Uggla, I have no interest in doing a deal with them. Sure the Yankees could overpay if they lose Cano, but I doubt that happens and I'm not even sure what we'd want from them (they also don't have any prospects that excite me).
    I agree with you here. I would change my answer too. I want to move Phillips, but do not want Uggla. I think the Dodgers might still be a trade partner. They signed Guerrero but where does he go? They have holes at 3B and 2B this offseason. Some speculated that Guerrero might need a year in the minors to develop as well. I could definitely see them swing a trade for BP especially if they clear payroll and space in the OF with their current logjam. I really want Kemp! Use the money saved to pay Kemp or try to get some cash from LA. Kemp is younger than Choo, has MVP talent, and is the righty bat we need in our lineup.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I agree with you here. I would change my answer too. I want to move Phillips, but do not want Uggla. I think the Dodgers might still be a trade partner. They signed Guerrero but where does he go? They have holes at 3B and 2B this offseason. Some speculated that Guerrero might need a year in the minors to develop as well. I could definitely see them swing a trade for BP especially if they clear payroll and space in the OF with their current logjam. I really want Kemp! Use the money saved to pay Kemp or try to get some cash from LA. Kemp is younger than Choo, has MVP talent, and is the righty bat we need in our lineup.
    Agreed. If we could somehow make it cost neutral, I'd rather have Kemp for the next 7 years than Choo for the next 5, even though Choo *might* help the team more in 2014.

Maybe Reds could send Phillips and Broxton to LA for Kemp and $20M?
    Go BLUE!!!

Agreed. If we could somehow make it cost neutral, I'd rather have Kemp for the next 7 years than Choo for the next 5, even though Choo *might* help the team more in 2014.

Maybe Reds could send Phillips and Broxton to LA for Kemp and $20M?
    Just thinking out loud on that. I don't know how to project Kemp long-term because his health and RHP issues concern me. He could be awesome. He could be consistently disappointing. He could be Reggie Sanders.

But say you make that deal and tried to optimize the bats. You'd have Votto-Kemp-Bruce-Frazier hitting 2-5 (in some order if not specifically that one). Do you make Hamilton the leadoff hitter? And how do you fill the crater in the 6-8 slots? That's a lineup that still needs a ton of work.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Just thinking out loud on that. I don't know how to project Kemp long-term because his health and RHP issues concern me. He could be awesome. He could be consistently disappointing. He could be Reggie Sanders.

But say you make that deal and tried to optimize the bats. You'd have Votto-Kemp-Bruce-Frazier hitting 2-5 (in some order if not specifically that one). Do you make Hamilton the leadoff hitter? And how do you fill the crater in the 6-8 slots? That's a lineup that still needs a ton of work.
    Trade Bailey for Profar. I think you could certainly do worse than a lineup of:

CF Hamilton
    1B Votto
    LF Kemp
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    2B Profar
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart

If Hamilton never gets off the ground, you could leadoff Profar and move Hamilton to the 8 hole. You'd also have flexibility to keep Kemp in CF and play Ludwick in LF, with whoever emerges the best from Ervin/Winker/Y-Rod taking over the LF spot (or CF if Ervin) beginning in 2015 or 2016. You also have the flexibility to trade the other two, or have one of them step in if Kemp continues to be injury-prone. (Similarly, if Kemp's ability to hit RHP continues to decline in 2016 and beyond, you could play Winker against the toughest RHP).

Bottom line is if the Reds were weak against LHP this year, they are not going to improve that area by subtracting Brandon Phillips, unless you replace him with some right-handed firepower. Kemp and Profar would certainly provide that.
    Go BLUE!!!

Trade Bailey for Profar. I think you could certainly do worse than a lineup of:

CF Hamilton
    1B Votto
    LF Kemp
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    2B Profar
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart
    IMO, that's still two bats short (and I really, really, really do not like the idea of taking a potential stud SS like Profar and sticking him at 2B). I don't mind projects like Hamilton and Profar in the lineup, but then you've got to add some more solid pieces to balance them out if they struggle. My guess with that lineup is a significant rpg drop from 2013.

Unless the Dodgers give up some combination of Kemp, Pedersen, Seager, et al.
    Pure delusion.

I really think you need to face the reality that a trade is coming, and it is happening because the owner wants him gone and they want to make a legitimate run at Choo or Bailey or Latos.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I really think you need to face the reality that a trade is coming, and it is happening because the owner wants him gone and they want to make a legitimate run at Choo or Bailey or Latos.
    I think there's a reality the Reds need to face if they make a clumsy trade of Phillips and show up next season with a team a step behind the 2013 model.

Turn Off Ads?