Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And Jonny Gomes is going to the WS!

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: And Jonny Gomes is going to the WS!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Other notable Cardinal fans:

Shane from The Walking Dead

The Guv'na, for certain.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    They showed TLR in the press box last night, and then shortly after aired a Mercedes commercial where a guy was selling his soul for a sweet ride.

Eerie.
    Little Known Fact:

TLR's full name is Anthony Mephistopheles LaRussa.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

4. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-20-2013)

Useless trivia: the Reds are the only team for which Gomes has provided 60+ RBI in a season.

I read that Gomes and Napoli completely changed the vibe of the clubhouse there in Boston.

They went from worst to first with a new manager and those guys being brought in.

I think Gomes is the kind of guy who's contributions to the team go beyond that of which can be measured. Look at his last 3 teams he has been with. He came to us in 2010 and we made the playoffs. You can chalk that up to the team around him or whatever. Then he goes to Oakland in 2012 and they win the AL West and make the playoffs. Finally, he goes to Boston in 2013 and they make the playoffs.

2009 Reds 4th in NL Central
    2010 Reds 1st in NL Central

2011 A's 3rd in the AL West
    2013 A's 1st in the AL West

2012 Red Sox 5th in the AL East
    2013 Red Sox 1st in the AL East

I think Gomes bring energy and fire to the clubhouse, and despite his numbers, we could have used him badly this year.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

7. Likes:

jimbo (10-21-2013),joshua (10-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I read that Gomes and Napoli completely changed the vibe of the clubhouse there in Boston.

They went from worst to first with a new manager and those guys being brought in.

I think Gomes is the kind of guy who's contributions to the team go beyond that of which can be measured. Look at his last 3 teams he has been with. He came to us in 2010 and we made the playoffs. You can chalk that up to the team around him or whatever. Then he goes to Oakland in 2012 and they win the AL West and make the playoffs. Finally, he goes to Boston in 2013 and they make the playoffs.

I think Gomes bring energy and fire to the clubhouse, and despite his numbers, we could have used him badly this year.
    It probably has more to do with providing above average offense during those seasons.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

9. Likes:

pahster (10-27-2013),RadfordVA (10-21-2013)

On the other hand, shouldn't the performances of his teams have dropped after he left? The Reds (2-for-2) and A's (1-for-1) are 3-for-3 in making the playoffs without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    On the other hand, shouldn't the performances of his teams have dropped after he left? The Reds (2-for-2) and A's (1-for-1) are 3-for-3 in making the playoffs without him.
    My view is that he changes the clubhouse. He adds a leadership and energy that helps a team to realize their potential and win. Him leaving wouldn't just suddenly make a team losers again. I would think that those value are instilled in them after he leaves. Also, noticed the Rays had a good run of playoffs both during and after his time there.

Maybe the end of this year, we saw that starting to wear off as the Reds gave up.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence?

(It is)

My view is that he changes the clubhouse. He adds a leadership and energy that helps a team to realize their potential and win. Him leaving wouldn't just suddenly make a team losers again. I would think that those value are instilled in them after he leaves. Also, noticed the Rays had a good run of playoffs both during and after his time there.

Maybe the end of this year, we saw that starting to wear off as the Reds gave up.
    Your view is based on comparing the team records with/without Gomes as far as I can see, so I wouldn't characterize your view as adequately informed.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Your view is based on comparing the team records with/without Gomes as far as I can see, so I wouldn't characterize your view as adequately informed.
    My view is based on more than that. I didn't even realize it until I read an article that said both Gomes and Napoli changed the energy and vibes in the BOS clubhouse. I cannot find the article, but that is when I decided to look him up and notice the trend of teams he has played for.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    MLB season/postseason ended about 3 weeks ago. *sigh*
    Agreed, sad to report this year's World Series has been cancelled due to lack of interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Smelling some sour grapes in this thread. Jonny is a fun, above average, passionate player who deserves the shot he's getting this year. I liked him when he was Red and hope he gets 4 more wins in 2013.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

17. Likes:

jimbo (10-21-2013),lollipopcurve (10-28-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Smelling some sour grapes in this thread. Jonny is a fun, above average, passionate player who deserves the shot he's getting this year. I liked him when he was Red and hope he gets 4 more wins in 2013.
    Above average? Above average players don't bounce around from team to team. I like Gomes, but he is not an above average player. He is a clubhouse guy but isn't really an everyday player.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I miss the Reds
    I don't miss the 3rd place 2013 Reds at all....and no matter what anybody say's playing a single game to actually make it to the NLDS is not the playoff's. It's no different than 1999 when we faced the mets. The playoffs are the NLDS and the NLCS.

yes...I'm on my man period since the end of September.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I agree that the Reds miss having guys like Gomes and Rolen. Hopefully Walt can bring in 1 or 2 guys like that.

21. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?