Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free-agent stunner: Low-payroll Astros could make play for Choo

Free-agent stunner: Low-payroll Astros could make play for Choo

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...-play-for-choo
    Astros GM Jeff Luhnow has emphasized on-base percentage like almost no other baseball executive, and Choo had a .423 on-base percentage in 2013, second only to Reds teammate Joey Votto in the National League. Choo hit .285 with 21 home runs, 107 runs and 20 stolen bases, but his most marketable skills is his ability to get on base.
    A Houston signing of Choo would be somewhat reminiscent of the Nationals' surprise deal for Jayson Werth three years ago, back when Washington was a cellar dweller. The Nationals received a lot of criticism for the move at the time due to the stunning $126 million, seven-year price tag for a player who had made just one All-Star team, but Werth brough credibility and leadership at a time the team needed it.
    Choo established himself this past season as one of the league's top leadoff hitters, as the Reds' gambit paid off big. He could be seen as a comparable player to Werth, though he apparently will seek to top Werth's $126 million, as he has shown he can lead off ahead of the contract (Werth did so later) and agent Scott Boras will try to make the case he should benefit from baseball's expanding revenues three years later.
    Many folks originally scoffed at the idea of a nine-figure deal for Choo -- he'd be the first player never to make an All-Star team to sign such a deal -- but Hunter Pence's $90-million, five-year deal back with his old Giants club before even entering the market seems to suggest Choo has a very good chance to top $100 million. He is viewed as the player likely to receive the third highest total contract on the free agent market, beyond Robinson Cano and Ellsbury.
    Luhnow declined to discuss Choo as he technically remains a Red until the free-agent period begins in the days after the World Series, Speaking generally, however, Luhnow said “the organizational philosophy is pointing in the direction of getting guys (who show patience) at the plate.” Houston's minor-league teams all ranked in the top two or three in on-base percentage in their respective leagues.

At the major-league level, the Astros weren't nearly as patient. “Obviously, we have a lot of free swingers,” Luhnow noted. “We're going to looking for any bats that are complementary.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free-agent stunner: Low-payroll Astros could make play for Choo

The Astros are low budget because they choose to be, not because they have to be. They have the resources to spend $125+ every year.

4. Likes:

joshua (10-21-2013), reds1869 (10-20-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (10-20-2013)

The Astros would have to overpay to just have a shot at Choo.

IF the Reds can clear some budget space they have a better shot at keeping Choo than the Astros have of signing him.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

That would be a real kick to the soft parts.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a 9 figure deal. As much as I like the guy's game, someone's going to have to overpay to get him.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Yep, somebody will pay him 4/75 or 5/95, something like that. It won't be the Reds.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-21-2013)

If the Stros, at least it's an American League team. Would not be fun to have him on another NL team that the reds would have to play 20 times next season.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The Astros are going to be the Rays with a mid-market payroll.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

There's no state income tax in Houston, right?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Correct.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

And FWIW, I can easily see the Astros getting him. It may be a season too early for bringing in the big talent as the kids aren't there yet, but if you're going to make a play for a big name and a long'ish contract....hard to point to a better target than Choo. Fairly small outfield, team that will appreciate his skills, finally being the big man on the team...I can see it being an attractive choice for him.

And if the Astros chose to do so, they could easily be a top 5 or 10 payroll club. EASILY.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

15. Likes:

klw (10-20-2013), REDREAD (10-21-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...blue-jays.html

After the Tigers were knocked out of the playoffs, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe looks at some of the club's flaws. He starts at the top of the lineup, where Austin Jackson's .337 on-base percentage and eight stolen bases were not good enough of a contrast to the slow, power-hitting lineup that produced the best offense in baseball. Possible solutions this winter include Scott Boras clients Shin-Soo Choo and Jacoby Ellsbury. “That’s the one team we haven’t heard Ellsbury’s name mentioned with,” said one American League GM. “We’ve heard a lot about the Mets, Mariners, Rangers, but the Tigers make perfect sense. They are a big-market team with big resources. There’s a relationship with Scott and Mr. Ilitch. They’ve done business before and there’s no reason they can’t do business again.” Here's more from today's column..
    I think that Tigers getting Choo is a real possibility.

"So Fla Red"

Said many times, very happy long term the Astros are out of the NL Central. 2nd largest metro area in MLB (without a 2nd team - Dallas) and a who's who of F1000 HQ's to buy boxes and season tickets.

I'd wager the Astros are poised for a better run than the Reds in the back half of the decade.

18. Likes:

joshua (10-21-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

This doesn't stun me at all. The Houston market has a large Asian population that would go to games to see Choo. I heard Astros fans talking about this possibility while I was in Houston for one of the Reds games there in September. The fact that he's actually talented is icing on the cake.

The Rockets, right down the street from Minute Maid, signed Jeremy Lin for marketing reasons. I assume that it worked, since the Astros are considering a similar move.
    /r/reds

20. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (10-20-2013)

I agree that the stros have the ability to sign choo at any point and still net a profit...they could jump into the 100 mill club at any point and be just fine as an organization.....but, they need so much more than just choo and if you go look at their minor league system, they have several young guys that are younger versions of Choo and as soon as they are ready in the next 2 years they could be playing for the big league club making a fraction of that money.....true they wont produce like Choo would but the Strohs are not competing for a title in the next 2 years anyhow so paying Choo in 2014-15 is just window dressing.....

I also agree its marketing but over paying to get Choo is simply throwing away good money that could be used to net them a power hitting corner OF'er who they need bad....or a sure fire ace of the rotation. Signing Choo does nothing to help them now and it also blocks several of their almost ready OBP players that are knocking on the door right now.

I just dont see any chance of Choo going there or Houston wanting Choo....it does not make sense from either end....this appears more of a writer not doing his research and just throwing out a team to get his last minute deadline in on time.

Choo to the tigers, now that makes some sense....they are ready to win a title now, they could use in the corner OF....he would instantly lead off and make them a better team than they are today and he truly is not blocking anyone now or the next few years. Choo is not going anywhere that is not title ready in my opinion.....Choo is probably signing the last of his contracts unless he can hit good enough to be a DH and that probably wont happen but Choo understands that this is his last chance to get that ring....I think he takes that into consideration more so than the money.

Turn Off Ads?