Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free-agent stunner: Low-payroll Astros could make play for Choo

Re: Free-agent stunner: Low-payroll Astros could make play for Choo

Signing Choo could double their TV ratings. Oh wait.

2. Turn Off Ads?

IMO, if Choo signs with the Astros then he was all about the money and he's not interested in winning. The Astros aren't going to win anything for at least five years. By that time the contract he would have signed would be up or nearly up. I don't see this happening at all. Just a lot of wishin' and hopin' from the Astros and their fans.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Astros aren't going to win anything for at least five years.
    The Astros could turn around much quicker than 5 years.

5. Likes:

joshua (10-21-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Astros could turn around much quicker than 5 years.
    I think that 5 years is reasonable. Before that? Doubtful. They have the best farm system yes, but it takes more than that to turn a team around that quickly. They are probably going to need to sign a high profile FA or two in order to get things going. Obviously, you can't speak for the FA's in the next 5 years, but playing in Houston just seems to be career suicide. No team around you makes it hard to keep or even post your career numbers.

Look at Giancarlo Stanton:

2012 (501 PA)
    BA .290
    OBP .361
    SLG .608
    OPS .696
    HR 37
    RBI 86

2013 (504 PA)
    BA .249
    OBP .365
    SLG .480
    OPS .845
    HR 24
    RBI 62

2012 was when the team was full of FA's acquisitions that had the media calling for a Marlins WS.

2013 was when the team had a fire sale of said FA's and the media calling for a cellar dwelling Marlins season.

Stanton's OBP was nearly the same between both seasons, but every one of his other numbers dropped drastically when he was exposed as the only star on a team of scrubs. Choo or any other high profile FA would be exposed in the same way if they went to Houston right now.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-21-2013)

Put me down right here and now as the contrarian - Houston will be fairly competitive in 2014 (3rd place) and very competitive in 2015 (2nd place), and winning the AL West in 2016.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I just dont see any chance of Choo going there or Houston wanting Choo....it does not make sense from either end....this appears more of a writer not doing his research and just throwing out a team to get his last minute deadline in on time.
    Unassisted makes a good point: The Astronomicals were 27th in attendance. Only teams who drew worse = Miami, Cleveland, Tampa Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Put me down right here and now as the contrarian - Houston will be fairly competitive in 2014 (3rd place) and very competitive in 2015 (2nd place), and winning the AL West in 2016.
    Bold predictions.

I still think it is going to be hard for them even get 3rd place next year. The Angels are always dangerous and could be even more when they are healthy. Rangers have been competitive in recent years and now they have a GM who can focus on his job. You also have Beane and the A's doing their thing as well as the Mariners who are a couple years out too. Which two teams will finish behind the Astros?
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    No team around you makes it hard to keep or even post your career numbers.

Look at Giancarlo Stanton:

2012 (501 PA)
    BA .290
    OBP .361
    SLG .608
    OPS .696
    HR 37
    RBI 86

2013 (504 PA)
    BA .249
    OBP .365
    SLG .480
    OPS .845
    HR 24
    RBI 62

2012 was when the team was full of FA's acquisitions that had the media calling for a Marlins WS.

2013 was when the team had a fire sale of said FA's and the media calling for a cellar dwelling Marlins season.

Stanton's OBP was nearly the same between both seasons, but every one of his other numbers dropped drastically when he was exposed as the only star on a team of scrubs. Choo or any other high profile FA would be exposed in the same way if they went to Houston right now.

For the comparisons to the Rays. I think everyone is over estimating how easy it is to develop pitching. If it was that simple everyone would do it. They may have front offices with similar approaches but the one constant with the Rays has been great pitching.

Over the last 4 seasons Rays have finished in Runs Scored in AL

9, 10, 7, 2

In least Runs Allowed they have finished

5, 1, 1, 2

The one constant with the Rays and other successful teams is pitching. As smart as the Astros may or may not be their success will depend on pitching. They only had 2 pitchers in MLB last season with positive ERA+, and they only made a combined 23 starts. So for those expecting a quicker turnaround I would not bet on it. That is a lot of pitching spots that need to be filled with above average talent.

If I were Choo, the only reason I'd talk to the Astros is to allow them to goose my market.
    Last edited by M2; 10-21-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

14. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (10-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I think that 5 years is reasonable. Before that? Doubtful. They have the best farm system yes, but it takes more than that to turn a team around that quickly. They are probably going to need to sign a high profile FA or two in order to get things going.........

Just a few thoughts. The 2012 Marlins was different in that there wasn't a stocked farm system to back a fire sale or to help round out the FA acquisitions. The 2005 Marlins fire sale had 3 top 100 prospects to back the sale, plus other adequate options to help round out the roster.

The 2014 Houston Astros will be in a good position to make a run at good Free Agents, and promote farm system guys to round out their roster for a winning team. Factor in that this year they've been projected to have a net operating revenue of $100 Mil, and next year they are expected to have the same, not only will they have cash reserves, but they'll have a healthy revenue to spend on folks.

My point... by you saying 5 years, you severely underestimate the health of their organization. Their farm is stocked, they've got one of the best player acquisition and development minds at the helm, they are in a large metro area that can support a hefty payroll (80 mil a year alone from TV rights for the team with the worst TV ratings in all of MLB), and cash on hand. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a .500 team next year, but 2015 more likely their big breakout year in my mind.

The Cubs on the other hand, they are definitely on a 5 year plan.

I'm going to bookmark this thread... I'd definitely like to see where they sit next year.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Signing Choo could double their TV ratings. Oh wait.
    So could my family moving to Houston.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If I were Choo, the only reason I'd talk to the Astros is to allow them to goose my market.
    Ding.

Boras is playing the media like a fiddle -- as he always does. By getting the Astros name out there, he's added another deep-pocketed team to the bidding war in effort to wrangle more money from the teams Choo would be likely to sign with.

It's transparent, but effective.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    So could my family moving to Houston.
    Not necessarily. The network that carries the Astros is not on every cable system in Houston. That's a big factor in why the ratings are poor. You living there might not do any good at all for their ratings!
    /r/reds

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    This doesn't stun me at all. The Houston market has a large Asian population that would go to games to see Choo. I heard Astros fans talking about this possibility while I was in Houston for one of the Reds games there in September. The fact that he's actually talented is icing on the cake.

The Rockets, right down the street from Minute Maid, signed Jeremy Lin for marketing reasons. I assume that it worked, since the Astros are considering a similar move.
    First of all I agree 100% with what Unassisted said in the above post. With that being said, what kind of criticism would a blogger or beat writer receive if they said a couple of years ago that the Tigers should sign Fielder because Detroit has a large Black population that would go to games to see Fielder?

To stay on topic...winning has to factor into the decision, or at least MY decision if I were a free agent. I don't see him going to the Astros
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Turn Off Ads?