Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Discussion

Re: Offseason Discussion

Now talking about Bourjos, he doesn't really excite me like Trumbo does. I'd want him to be my 4th option behind signing Choo, giving BHam a shot, and looking for someone else.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I checked out a few angels messages boards, and they say that bourjos and trumbo should each fetch a 3/4 type starting pitcher

a 3 or 4 type pitcher for a .299 career OBP guy seems like a high price. Especially when that guy will be 28 at the start of the season.

I don't see how Trumbo helps us. Doesn't get on base, doesn't play defense. Power seems like his only real tool is power. I'm not trading a legit starting pitcher for Trumbo.

6. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-30-2013),MattyHo4Life (11-03-2013)

Trumbo's RC this year was 79. Want a comparison? Ryan Ludwick in 2012.. 77.

What do y'all want? Because you aren't going to get a superstar MVP player. We already have one of those. Trumbo definitely helps this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    Trumbo's RC this year was 79. Want a comparison? Ryan Ludwick in 2012.. 77.

What do y'all want? Because you aren't going to get a superstar MVP player. We already have one of those. Trumbo definitely helps this offense.
    Ludwick cost the Reds 1 year/$3M. Trumbo would cost them Leake? Bailey? Cingrani? While I'm not totally opposed to trading a pitcher, does Trumbo really add more than any of the 5 in our rotation do over replacement?

9. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-30-2013),Old school 1983 (10-30-2013)

I imagine we would net more than just Trumbo for one of our starters

If you don't think Mark Trumbo is an upgrade over Ryan Ludwick, you don't know baseball

Only problem with Trumbo is, he is basically a younger right handed version of Adam Dunn. I think many of you remember how frustrating that was.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    If you don't think Mark Trumbo is an upgrade over Ryan Ludwick, you don't know baseball
    Thank you for the condescension. I must not know baseball despite playing, coaching, umping and watching for, oh, about 53 or 54 years now. I'll take Ludwick. Trumbo has power. That's it. Oh...and he's younger - I guess if you are thinking who will be better in 3 or 4 years, yeah it'll be Trumbo. Also, the choice isn;t a vacuum - it is Trumbo minus Leake or whoever verses Ludwick. Makes a huge difference.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-29-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

14. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-30-2013),herbdizzle (11-04-2013),Old school 1983 (10-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Only problem with Trumbo is, he is basically a younger right handed version of Adam Dunn. I think many of you remember how frustrating that was.
    Except Dunn had about 100 points of OBP on him. Trumbo is to Adam Dunn as Chris Heisey is to Shin Soo Choo.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (11-03-2013),Old school 1983 (10-30-2013),RedlegJake (10-29-2013)

You've gotta think Trumbo's OBP could have a chance at coming up. Ludwick isn't going to cut it. If we stick with him next year, its going to be disappointing. I mean if Trumbo can come here and hit .250 with an OBP around .310 or so and OPS about .760-.800, I'd take him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    You've gotta think Trumbo's OBP could have a chance at coming up. Ludwick isn't going to cut it. If we stick with him next year, its going to be disappointing. I mean if Trumbo can come here and hit .250 with an OBP around .310 or so and OPS about .760-.800, I'd take him.
    I wouldn't mind Trumbo in LF as a RH power bat if the Reds could unload Ludwick's salary to Philly or someplace. The problem is what the team would have to give up for him. I wouldn't deal any of the team's current starters for him. If the Angels would take some one like Marshall with a kid or two like Corcino and say Y-Rod, OK. Cueto, Bailey or Leake? I'd need a lot more than Trumbo. No interest in Bourjos.

I'd do a big deal with Bailey, Marshall, Ludwick and Phillips for Trumbo, Kendrick, Taylor Lindsay and Garrett Richards. I'd toss in Corcino if need be.

Then use the money saved to sign some help at other spots.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

RedlegJake (10-30-2013)

mth has the essence - I actually like Trumbo better than Ludwick if it is even - that is you don't have to give up a member of the starting rotation and you aren't eating Ludwick's salary to be a 4th OFer. He'd certainly produce more homers, especially playing half his games at GABP. But no deal can be looked at as even unless a player is being cut or picked up for scrubs. Then you have to weigh his overall impact - not only what he produces but what the player(s) you lose would have produced. If the Angels were induced to take on Ludwick in order to get Bailey, and would flip Kendrick for BP as part of the deal and would toss in a couple prospects either Lindsay or Yarborough - their choice (both good 2B prospects) or Eric Stamets (SS) and Richards or Mark Sappington (RHP). I'd add Corcino in the deal if they included Richards because he is ML ready now.

I'd just caution huge blockbuster multi core player deals like this almost never get done anymore. It's fun to discuss but highly unlikely.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I'd rather sign Michael Morse than trade for Mark Trumbo

22. Likes:

JayBruceFan (11-02-2013),mth123 (11-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?