Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Offseason Discussion

Re: Offseason Discussion

Well all the good free agent catchers are off the market. McCann went to the Yankees, AJ Piersynski went to the Red Sox, and Saltlamachia went to the Marlins. Well that dream didn't last long.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarftree View Post
    I would take the gamble on Hamilton. Seriously. I know his numbers in Louisville were far from good. But he was pretty decent in his 13 games with the Reds. Plus his speed just forces the opponent to think/force into errors.
    Dusty used him sparingly, thus not overexposing the guy. It would be a pretty big gamble to try and use him everyday. Have to admit that the speed is intimidating but will the OBP pay off?

Could be a pretty big drop off from Choo.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway between View Post
    It most certainly will be a big drop off. But Hey! if you have a kid that fast and that seems to have done a decent defensive job in AAA, why not give it a shot? If he gets on base (we still need to see how big this IF is) he will make the opponent think. And everyone that played the game knows how big of an factor that can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Well all the good free agent catchers are off the market. McCann went to the Yankees, AJ Piersynski went to the Red Sox, and Saltlamachia went to the Marlins. Well that dream didn't last long.
    Maybe next year. Give Mesoraco a full year to sink or swim and see what is there.

Dusty used him sparingly, thus not overexposing the guy. It would be a pretty big gamble to try and use him everyday. Have to admit that the speed is intimidating but will the OBP pay off?

Billy also recently tweeted that he is bulking up which could be a factor in his speed. I haven't seen any pics but he is really small to begin with. He could gain easily

Now that Robinson Cano has signed with Seattle, if you were Walt would you look into moving BP to NYY??

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    Now that Robinson Cano has signed with Seattle, if you were Walt would you look into moving BP to NYY??
    They balked at Walt's asking price earlier but now that Cano is gone they may be more willing to deal.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    They balked at Walt's asking price earlier but now that Cano is gone they may be more willing to deal.
    Any idea what the asking price was? I don't think the Yankees farm is all that special.

Any idea what the asking price was? I don't think the Yankees farm is all that special.
    I don't like much about the Yankee farm either, not for Phillips. The reports I read about the price was simply that the Yankees considered it way too steep. No specific players were mentioned. I'll bet Gardner and a high prospect or two or something like that. If the Reds got a package of prospects from the Yanks I wouldn't be too impressed no matter who the prospects were - there aren't any really top flight prospects anywhere near ready in the Yankee system. Almonte, Flores, Turley, Heathcott, Williams, Sanchez, Banuelos - none stand out.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I don't like much about the Yankee farm either, not for Phillips. The reports I read about the price was simply that the Yankees considered it way too steep. No specific players were mentioned. I'll bet Gardner and a high prospect or two or something like that. If the Reds got a package of prospects from the Yanks I wouldn't be too impressed no matter who the prospects were - there aren't any really top flight prospects anywhere near ready in the Yankee system. Almonte, Flores, Turley, Heathcott, Williams, Sanchez, Banuelos - none stand out.
    Slade Heathcott is decent
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

@ctrent: Walt said they’ve ‘talked to 2 or 3 clubs’ on phone, set up some meetings with agents #MLBWinterMeetings #Reds

Wonder what Walt has set up. Nice to hear some things are moving forward.

Turn Off Ads?