Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Discussion

Re: Offseason Discussion

Lincecum, not necessarily - he'd be looking for a one year deal to re prove himself so it wouldn't be cheap but not exorbitant either. As a bridge to Stephenson he'd be nice, especially if they moved Bailey in a deal for a bat. Plus, you could make him a QO and get a draft pick if he had a good year. Not likely to happen but it wouldn't be a stretch either.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

2. Turn Off Ads?

At least the Guerrero talk can end. That leaves Texas and the Yanks for Cano. The loser and Atlanta are the suitors for BP most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    You're right, if we can trade Phillips and then Homer for Profar we would be set. All we would need is a starter.

The Phillips to Atlanta for Uggla and a top prospect is sort of growing on me. I checked out their top prospects and none really stood out. So I'm not sure who we would be wanting from them.
    I don't want to get Uggla, no thanks. I don't want another locker room cancer. I know it is almost certain that BP is gone, but I seriously don't see Uggla as being a person they are pursuing. They need high character guys who want to prove themselves IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    What do you think about the catching spot? I'm not sold on Mesoraco. He has a hole in his swing a good pitcher can toss a basketball through. He is one guy a new batting coach might help. I think Hanigan can rebound but he was always a no power some OBP defense first guy. If he stays it should be as a backup, no more playing 2/3ds of the time.

I wouldn't call catcher a must fix but if Walt found a way to upgrade one of these guys offense I wouldn't complain either...
    I personally have always thought that catcher was the second most important position in baseball. It never hurts to have two good catchers, hopefully one of them elite and other would be solid with good game control. So Mesoraco would be ok with me as long as they can fix his bat because he is a good catcher, just not a very good batter.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    At least the Guerrero talk can end. That leaves Texas and the Yanks for Cano. The loser and Atlanta are the suitors for BP most likely.
    Thank god. I really didn't want him anyways. Did you?

As for Atlanta prospects I'd be intrigued by a few - Joey Terdoslavich (OF), Jose Peraza (SS), Aaron Northcroft (RHP), JR Graham (RHP), Lucas Sims (RHP) or Victor Caratini (C)

Caratini and Peraza are both young 20 and 19 respectively and would be future considerations but are both good. Peraza is a true SS and should stick there. Terdoslavich is 24 and ready if he is going to be - good minor league numbers but didn't exactly light it up when he came up but only 92 PAs. Northcraft and Graham are both near ML ready. Lucas Sims is another 19 year old but I'd love to have him for the future. Lefty with a real live arm.

Maybe one ready to go prospect and one for the future if the Braves don't want to eat any salary. Uggla, Northcraft and Peraza - adds a future SS to our system. Truthfully, though, I'm not enamored with Graham, Northcraft or Terdoslavich - the best prospects that they are likely to let go of are in the lower leagues.

Given the organization is openly shopping him and given BP's love for social media.....has he not spoken of this at all?
    "I hate most people"

With Guerrero now off the market, I'd revise my strategy slightly. Here's my take:

How about hooking up with the Orioles for a trade? I think they're looking for a 2B. Maybe Brandon Phillips for Nick Markakis, Eduardo Rodriguez, and $4 million?

Markakis is coming off a down year and has been up and down for his whole career. He makes $4 million more than Phillips in 2014, which is why I have the Orioles kicking in that cash to make the impact to both teams' payrolls negligible. The good thing about Markakis is that he gets on base when he's right, and, more importantly, he's off the books after next season. I also have the Orioles kicking in Eduardo Rodriguez. He's a decent left handed SP prospect, but he's still at least a year away from the bigs.

I think I'd then look to trade Bailey to the Rangers for Martin Perez, Joey Butler, and Rougned Odor. Perez isn't as good as Bailey, but he's under team control for a while and can step in immediately to fill out the rotation. Butler isn't a big power guy for a corner OF and is old for a prospect, but he's a RH OBP machine. He could take over LF once the Ludwick/Markakis platoon is off the books in 2015, and he immediately adds depth in case of injury in 2014. Odor is a still a ways away, but he could wind up being an elite level 2B prospect. I think this deal might hinge on Texas being able to sign Bailey to an extension since they'd be giving up a lot, but I think Bailey would definitely be receptive to a long term deal with a club in his home state.

Finally, I'd use the money saved by dealing Bailey to sign Omar Infante and David Dejesus. Infante can play a solid 2B and will probably hit for good average. He isn't especially flashy and his other offensive skills leave something to be desired, but he gets the job done. Dejesus can back up all 3 OF positions and is a pretty good insurance policy in case Hamilton needs more seasoning.

With these moves, the Reds would go into 2014 with the following lineup:

CF: Hamilton/Dejesus
    2B: Infante
    1B: Votto
    RF: Bruce
    3B: Frazier
    LF: Markakis/Ludwick
    C: Mesoraco
    SS: Cozart

SP: Latos
    SP: Cueto
    SP: Cingrani
    SP: Perez
    SP: Leake

In 2015, Joey Butler replaces Markakis and hits in the second spot in the order. Both Eduardo Rodriguez and Robert Stephenson may also be ready to compete for rotation spots in 2015. This keeps the SP pipeline primed, which will hopefully translate into more post season appearances (and maybe even victories) over the next couple of years.

Thoughts?

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Given the organization is openly shopping him and given BP's love for social media.....has he not spoken of this at all?
    This is the one thing that I've been waiting on. I follow him on twitter but he hasn't said anything since this all came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Thoughts?
    http://www.redreporter.com/2013/10/2...illips-to-land

Article lays out the 3 best teams to try to trade for BP

1.) Braves - Uggla and Pastornicky

2.) Jonathan Schnoop or Mike Wright

3.) Nick Castellanos or Devon Travis and Tyler Collins

While I am no expert by any means for minor league prospects. I think Detroit's potential offer would fit us best. Castellanos is only 21 and can hit pretty well already. He has experience in both OF and 3B.

In a potential trade with Detroit I would trade BP for Castellanos plus whatever cash or prospects would be needed to even things out. Maybe try to send them Ludwick too since they need an OF.

If we cannot find an adequate 2B fill in for BP, then move Frazier to 2B and Castellanos to 3B. Resign Choo with the saving from BP trade.

Red Reporter also mentions the Blue Jays too. I read that they are interested in a 2B, C, and LF. I would try to package BP and Hanigan together with maybe an OF prospect like Yorman to try to aquire Bautista. He easily answers the RH power bat that we need in our lineup.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Bryan Price to be named Reds manager. Not official but done deal. I like it.

Who do you guys think will be the new pitching and hitting coaches?

I'd like to see them getting Terry Pendleton from the Braves to be the hitting coach. Why can't Billy Hatcher step into that role and then get a new base coach? The Reds were horrible on the bases this past year so maybe bring in a guy that was great at running the bases and also a great base stealer to coach?

I think Jose Rijo would be a great pitching coach for the Reds for a variety of reasons, but most importantly he is bi-lingual.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Brandon Phillips for Nick Markakis, Eduardo Rodriguez, and $4 million? I also have the Orioles kicking in Eduardo Rodriguez. He's a decent left handed SP prospect, but he's still at least a year away from the bigs.

Bailey to the Rangers for Martin Perez, Joey Butler, and Rougned Odor.

Finally sign Omar Infante and David Dejesus.
    You might have to kick in a prospect to the Orioles to even up the talent - say El Hajj Muhammed - but I like the deal. Hajj is a good relief prospect but if you can get a LH SP prospect back along with Markakis - heck yeah. Then you could add Soto to the Rangers deal to make 3 for 1 a bit more even looking. Not that Soto adds all that much actually but call it a sweetener. Before looking at DeJesus, however, I'd see if Oakland had any interest in moving Coco Crisp and if Hi-C and say Sharky might pull that off (remember we added a SP prospect in the Baltimore deal). One year of Crisp to bridge Billy Hamilton into the majors would be a huge help in CF and he is just 7.5 mil. Not outlandish with BP and Bailey gone and 4 mil back from the O's.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    Who do you guys think will be the new pitching and hitting coaches?
    Hitting coach - no clue at all. Except it won't be Jacoby. Good enough for me.

Pitching coach - Mack Jenkins is the front runner but rumor has it Jenkins is a great film spotter but would be over his head as the actual coach. That from a RZer with some inside knowledge of these guys (not me). I trust this opinion but am waiting to see what Price does - promote his assistant or go to a new guy? Power seems next in line but the same source says Power is a hot mess, too. Which I've seen elsewhere, too, over the years (little snippets read here and there that Power is not all that well regarded by many). The pitching coach situation could be interesting then.

Turn Off Ads?