Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Discussion

Re: Offseason Discussion

Hopefully some questions are answered in the press conference at 3 today

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just an idea off the top of my head but Phillips bailey and Frazier to Texas for profar and kinsler?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Just an idea off the top of my head but Phillips bailey and Frazier to Texas for profar and kinsler?
    The reds would never do that

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Isn't Kinsler's contract an insane amount? He's already 31 and has 4 more years on his contract with a 5th year that has a $5 million buy out. Phillips is one year older, but has one year less on his contract which is actually less than Kinsler's.

Uggla is 33, a year older than Phillips, makes about the same money as Phillips but is only under contract for two more years.

Bautista would fill the hole in left field with a trade but he is 33 and under contract only two more years at $14 million per. Plus if this year is any indication, Bautista is on the downswing of his career.

Personally I am against bringing in these 30+ year old guys making $10 million+ a year. Markakis is 29 but his contract is actually more than Phillips and he is under contract two more years.

Nate Mclouth is a free agent, BUT he is a lefty.

A guy I like the price of, plus his salary is Ryan Rayburn on the Indians. The Indians and Reds seem to have a good relationship when it comes to trades...

Could Mark Trumbo play left field? He is an arbitration guy next year but only 27 years old.

I'm going to have to do some more research but this is what I have so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Isn't Kinsler's contract an insane amount? He's already 31 and has 4 more years on his contract with a 5th year that has a $5 million buy out. Phillips is one year older, but has one year less on his contract which is actually less than Kinsler's.
    16-16-14-11-12 or 5mil buyout. So yes, Kinsler would be MORE expensive than BP and no less likely to fade - more so, imo

Uggla is 33, a year older than Phillips, makes about the same money as Phillips but is only under contract for two more years.
    And compared to Kinsler he has the possiblility at least of a lot more pop, especially at GABP, plus he does draw a lot of walks and in his best years has had good OBPs - plus you'd get an additional prospect in this deal BUT the pitchers would hate what he'd do to the defense behind them...

Bautista would fill the hole in left field with a trade but he is 33 and under contract only two more years at $14 million per. Plus if this year is any indication, Bautista is on the downswing of his career.
    Bautista would look so good in left, though...

Personally I am against bringing in these 30+ year old guys making $10 million+ a year. Markakis is 29 but his contract is actually more than Phillips and he is under contract two more years.
    I'm against handing out these $10 million plus a year multi year deals to over 30 ballplayers in the first place. Then they wouldn't have the headache of trying to find a trade partner for one....

Nate Mclouth is a free agent, BUT he is a lefty.
    If he is replacing Choo in CF its lefty for lefty. With Hi-C a righty, BH or Robinson, switchies as subs. Problem?

A guy I like the price of, plus his salary is Ryan Rayburn on the Indians. The Indians and Reds seem to have a good relationship when it comes to trades...
    Hi-C and a prospect? Rayburn is an older 4th OFer but better than Heisey but could a second tier prospect (Muhammed/Manno/Parker Frazier) added be enough to pry him away? I really like this guy, too.

Could Mark Trumbo play left field? He is an arbitration guy next year but only 27 years old.
    The guy has a .299 lifetime OBP. Yeah I know - prodigious power but he doesn't walk and strikes out a ton, low average. Poor defense. Call me crazy but I think I'd rather have Ludwick if Trumbo is my other option.

I'm going to have to do some more research but this is what I have so far.
    Keep it rolling.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

It's actually pretty hard to find guys worth filling the spot in left field because so many of them are left handed, and we all know the Reds already have enough of those.

I do like this Avisail Garcia on the White Sox. He is only 22 and right handed. If he can learn some more patience at the plate and get his OBP up he'd be perfect.

After seeing Walt's comments, it seems he's going to make a pretty good offer to try and keep Choo.

I just can't help but think about how a 100 mil dollar deal could really hurt this teams future. I guess trading Phillips might be the only way Choo comes back. Unless he really likes it here and takes somewhat of a discount or shorter deal. Who knows, we'll see.

Check this out...

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/1...isnt-stopping/

This guy says the odds of Bautista being traded on a scale of 1-10 is 7. He talks about the Reds as a possible fit. He suggests Bautista for Homer and Phillips.

Homer is in his last year and Phillips is owed 50 million over the next 4 years.
    Bautista is making 14 million each of the next two years so overall it saves the Reds 21 million, without even counting Bailey.

His slash last year in 118 games was .259/.358/.498/.856 with 28 homers and 73 RBI. His WAR was 4.1. Thats not a full season and I would still love that in left field. Imagine him behind votto and at GABP.

Yes, this leaves a whole at second and a starter short if Bronson leaves but if we could address those issues, would you make this trade?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    Check this out...

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/1...isnt-stopping/

This guy says the odds of Bautista being traded on a scale of 1-10 is 7. He talks about the Reds as a possible fit. He suggests Bautista for Homer and Phillips.

Homer is in his last year and Phillips is owed 50 million over the next 4 years.
    Bautista is making 14 million each of the next two years so overall it saves the Reds 21 million, without even counting Bailey.

His slash last year in 118 games was .259/.358/.498/.856 with 28 homers and 73 RBI. His WAR was 4.1. Thats not a full season and I would still love that in left field. Imagine him behind votto and at GABP.

Yes, this leaves a whole at second and a starter short if Bronson leaves but if we could address those issues, would you make this trade?
    No way, the gap it would leave defensively doesn't even out the amount of runs he would bring to the team verses the number of runs that would be given up. Phillips defense has bailed out pitchers time and time again and stopped other teams from having big scoring innings.

I'd trade them Bailey and Soto for Bautista.

Bailey and Soto?? Really? They would laugh at you. You're overvaluing BP's defense. His fielding percentage last year was .987... The rest of the league's average fielding percentage at second base?... .984

Bailey and Soto?? Really? They would laugh at you. You're overvaluing BP's defense. His fielding percentage last year was .987... The rest of the league's average fielding percentage at second base?... .984
    So he had one bad year? If you watch Red's games, on different networks, and sports shows, it's almost unanimous that Phillips is regarded as the best defensive second baseman in MLB. I think you are undervaluing Soto. He is still only 24. In 2011 in only 102 games he hit 30 homers for Double A. The guy has pop in his bat.

So he had one bad year? If you watch Red's games, on different networks, and sports shows, it's almost unanimous that Phillips is regarded as the best defensive second baseman in MLB. I think you are undervaluing Soto. He is still only 24. In 2011 in only 102 games he hit 30 homers for Double A. The guy has pop in his bat.
    One bad year? His career percentage is .988... .001 different...

One bad year? His career percentage is .988... .001 different...
    ..and he has won how many gold gloves? Plus you have to take into count how many outs he has made on plays that would have normally been hits if it was someone else out there. Seriously, you don't think Phillips is a phenomenal second baseman defensively?

..and he has won how many gold gloves? Plus you have to take into count how many outs he has made on plays that would have normally been hits if it was someone else out there. Seriously, you don't think Phillips is a phenomenal second baseman defensively?
    Yes I do. I love BP but offense>defense. I'd rather have an average second baseman with the same offensive numbers as Phillips if it means bringing in a bat like Bautista.

Turn Off Ads?