Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Discussion

Offseason Discussion

Since there isn't any offseason discussion in SD, I figured I'd start one up while I wait on my ORG access. Several things need to happen this winter.

1) New manager of course. Personally I'm all for Bryan Price. There aren't many choices out there. But after seeing the Arroyo and Lecure quotes on Price, I like him to be the new manager. He's also always been for Chapman starting, so maybe we'll give that one more shot.

2) Brandon Phillips has always been one of my favorite players but maybe its just time for him to go. I love him, but that contract is terrible and it will really hurt us down the road and I'm not looking forward to being irrelevant again.

3) Maybe Homer could be traded, who knows? Texas is definitely a team I'd call and have some discussions with, especially about Profar. But I'm not sure if we'll see this one happen.

4) We need a power righty in the order. Maybe Ludwick could be that guy again but I'm just not seeing it. I have no clue what is out there for us to look at so..

5) Choo. He was awesome. Is it worth signing him for 5 years and over 100 mil? I don't know, thats for Walt to decide. Of course for this to happen, Phillips would need to be traded.

6) The bench. Our bench was horrible. I don't know who to get but he's gotta be better than Izturis.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offseason Discussion

Manager is really almost an after thought to me with all the other things needed.

BP - I think he is gone, will be interesting to see what comes back or if they end up moving him for little. LA-NYY-Atl are all being linked in rumors, so is a crazy 3 way suggestion with TB and the Yanks (Cingrani, BP, Ludwick gone, David Price here). That one seems too lopsided against the Reds. Leaves holes in LF, 2B and trades 5 yrs of Cingrani for 2 yrs of Price. Uggla and a prospect? Doesn't excite me either.

If Phillips is gone what happens to 2b? HRod sure isn't a viable option. Guerrero isn't going to happen, imo.

That leaves free agents or a trade to cover 2B. The FA list is not much after Cano. Nick Punto? Mark Ellis? Omar Infante and pay for a career year? Uggla and a good prospect is looking better.

Homer to Texas for Profar could help a lot here. Of course, that means finding another starter if Arroyo is gone, too (almost certainly). It also would mean they can trade BP without worrying about replacing him. Maybe they could work out a deal with LA for Kemp or Ethier and some dollars coming back. That would add the power bat.

That would also certainly eliminate a chance of signing Choo, though. Hamilton in CF?

Just some thoughts at this early point. Three huge keys to the off season: Do they sign Choo? Arroyo back or gone? BP traded and for what? Within a few days of the WS ending we'll know their intention with Arroyo, and it won't take long to see if they are seriously in the running for Choo or not.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

You're right, if we can trade Phillips and then Homer for Profar we would be set. All we would need is a starter.

The Phillips to Atlanta for Uggla and a top prospect is sort of growing on me. I checked out their top prospects and none really stood out. So I'm not sure who we would be wanting from them.

What do you think about the catching spot? I'm not sold on Mesoraco. He has a hole in his swing a good pitcher can toss a basketball through. He is one guy a new batting coach might help. I think Hanigan can rebound but he was always a no power some OBP defense first guy. If he stays it should be as a backup, no more playing 2/3ds of the time.

I wouldn't call catcher a must fix but if Walt found a way to upgrade one of these guys offense I wouldn't complain either...
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Cozart to 2nd and Hamilton back to SS then resign Choo? Personally I don't like the idea of getting rid of Phillips, he brings flare to the dug out. I'd like to bring in McCann or Saltalamacchia for catching. David Price would be nice but he about to get paid and Tampa has worn him out. I'd prefer to stick with the young staff and continue to create homegrown talent.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    What do you think about the catching spot? I'm not sold on Mesoraco. He has a hole in his swing a good pitcher can toss a basketball through. He is one guy a new batting coach might help. I think Hanigan can rebound but he was always a no power some OBP defense first guy. If he stays it should be as a backup, no more playing 2/3ds of the time.

I wouldn't call catcher a must fix but if Walt found a way to upgrade one of these guys offense I wouldn't complain either...
    To be honest, I can't stand Hanigan back there. He works with the pitchers well, blah blah blah. He can't hit his way out of a wet sack. Frustrates the hell out of me to watch him hit. But I seriously don't see them doing anything at catcher. If they did, some FA options are...

Jared Salty: He made 4.5 this year and had a great year so he'll probably be too expensive.

AJ Pierzynski: He also had a good year but he's getting older and he'll cost even more than salty.

Brian McCann: don't know why I'm listing him.. WAY too expensive

Carlos Ruiz: only played 92 games this year. Made 5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Cozart to 2nd and Hamilton back to SS then resign Choo? Personally I don't like the idea of getting rid of Phillips, he brings flare to the dug out. I'd like to bring in McCann or Saltalamacchia for catching. David Price would be nice but he about to get paid and Tampa has worn him out. I'd prefer to stick with the young staff and continue to create homegrown talent.
    I think you'd be more likely to see Hamilton at 2nd than Cozart. Worth exploring though

The thought of Uggla for BP nauseates me a little bit.

In 8 major league season's, Uggla's BA has been above .250 only 3 times...a whopping .179 last year, when he played so poorly the Braves left him off the playoff roster.

His OPS last season was .671 and has been well below .800 the past three years.

Oh, and he's a year older than Phillips.

If they pull the trigger on a trade for Uggla I hope it's because the Braves are sending along the dollars for the remainder of his contract, a top two prospect in the Braves' organization and the Reds are only considering him as a bench player.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    The thought of Uggla for BP nauseates me a little bit.

In 8 major league season's, Uggla's BA has been above .250 only 3 times...a whopping .179 last year, when he played so poorly the Braves left him off the playoff roster.

His OPS last season was .671 and has been well below .800 the past three years.

Oh, and he's a year older than Phillips.

If they pull the trigger on a trade for Uggla I hope it's because the Braves are sending along the dollars for the remainder of his contract, a top two prospect in the Braves' organization and the Reds are only considering him as a bench player.
    I agree. Surely they would not consider this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    I agree. Surely they would not consider this trade.
    Depends on how determined Cast is to move BP. Owners can be bullheaded. I agree Uggla is a poor target although his power at GABP is intriguing he has been on a slide for three years and he would be another swing and miss type hitter that the Reds lineup is full of already outside of Votto and Choo. Uggla does walk though. I could see a rebound offensively but that defense of his is pretty brutal. I could also see a complete flop. As I said in another thread - its a gamble I really don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    You're right, if we can trade Phillips and then Homer for Profar we would be set. All we would need is a starter.

The Phillips to Atlanta for Uggla and a top prospect is sort of growing on me. I checked out their top prospects and none really stood out. So I'm not sure who we would be wanting from them.
    Ugh, no to Uggla.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I would not trade BP. I know his contract is not the best one. I know his offensive numerbs have been declining. But you are talking about one of the faces of the franchises here. A face that draws spectators and sells jerseys. Plus i think letting him bat in the #2 hole on a regular basis, his numbers will go up again. And he is one of the best defense 2nd basman (if not the best). I would not trade him.

What i really hope for, apart from the signing of Price as the new guy on the helmet, that Walt gets rid of Jacoby. Please. Please. Please. I am sooo tired of seeing these horrible plate approaches.

Obviously the Braves would have to pay some of Uggla's contract if we took him. Hopefully they'd take on at least half of it. Have any of you looked at their top prospects? Who stands out?

The Dodgers just signed Alexander Guerrero to a 4 year, 28 million dollar deal. So the Reds won't be signing him and now the Dodgers are out as a trade partner for Phillips.

Jon Heyman reporting that Lincecum turned down a 2 year deal from the Giants. He is looking for a short deal and will take a 1 year deal. He would obviously cost too much for the Reds, right?

Turn Off Ads?