Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Discussion

Re: Offseason Discussion

I still want the Reds to go after Ryan Raburn. He would come a lot cheaper than Trumbo and give you and give you a better OBP.

2. Likes:

RedlegJake (11-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I still want the Reds to go after Ryan Raburn. He would come a lot cheaper than Trumbo and give you and give you a better OBP.
    Raburn worries me being so up and down his whole career. He's not the kind of guy I'd like to give up assets for. As a free agent, I'd love to have him. Trade? Not so much

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Raburn worries me being so up and down his whole career. He's not the kind of guy I'd like to give up assets for. As a free agent, I'd love to have him. Trade? Not so much
    Well his contract is extremely cheap, and he had 16 homers playing as a backup in only 87 games with an OBP of .357 and a career OBP of .317, Trumbo's career OBP is .299.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Well his contract is extremely cheap, and he had 16 homers playing as a backup in only 87 games with an OBP of .357 and a career OBP of .317, Trumbo's career OBP is .299.
    Right, but his contract is extremely cheap for the Indians too and he's coming off of a very productive year so he won't come cheap.

I'm not trying to compare him to Trumbo because, honestly, if I were in charge, I'd pass on both of them in a trade. I'd sign a bit player like Michael Morse before giving up an asset for a bit player like Raburn or Trumbo

I posted this in the ORG, but maybe you guys will find it interesting as well.

It is MLBTraderumors predictions for the top 50 FA.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ictions-1.html

3. Shin-Soo Choo - Tigers. Choo posted a robust .423 on-base percentage this year, leading all free agents and ranking fourth in baseball. He's another Boras leadoff man with a shot at $100MM, so you can be sure we'll hear the agent talking about how leadoff hitters are the new 40 home run hitters. Despite playing center field this year, Choo fits best in an outfield corner. There are questions about his defense and ability to hit left-handed pitching, and as with Cano, Ellsbury, McCann, Santana, and others, a team will have to forfeit its highest available draft pick to sign him. The 31-year-old South Korea native should require a contract in excess of Hunter Pence's five-year, $90MM deal, making a return to the Reds unlikely. The Tigers' interest in signing Choo to play an outfield corner is unknown, but surely Boras' relationship with owner Mike Ilitch will lead to a conversation. The Mets, Yankees, Rangers, Mariners, Cubs, and Astros are other potential matches.

23. Bronson Arroyo - Mets. Arroyo is the only pitcher in baseball to make at least 32 starts per year from 2005-13. Arroyo, 37 in February, is the game's most consistent innings-eater. It appears he'll move on from the Reds after eight seasons, probably without a potentially budget-busting qualifying offer. I've pegged Arroyo at two years and $24MM, which could be palatable for the Mets, Twins, Giants, and several other teams looking to solidify the backend of their rotation.

My feeling on Choo has shifted to not signing him. I just think that contract would end up hurting us in a few years.

So the Reds probably aren't going to sign any of the top 50 free agents...Awesome. Not that I want to blow money on a bad contract, but I get frustrated with never making a big move. I also am aware that there is a possibility of a trade, but I still think we need to go all in on Choo. He may not produce like he did this year, but he's always going to provide pretty solid numbers. We need to find some way to offer him at least close to what he wants.

I don't know, if he was just a random free agent, you gotta look at a guy that is 31 years old and just posted a career high in OBP and his 2nd highest OPS.

To pay 100 million to a 31 year old OF with an .854 career OPS that is really bad in CF just doesn't seem to make sense. Somebody will pay him what he wants most likely, and that team will regret it in 2-4 years.

11. Likes:

joshua (11-15-2013),Old school 1983 (11-04-2013)

Not sure why everyone is calling Choo bad in CF... He played very well this year and only had 4 errors

I agree! He wasn't that bad out there. He may not have had a ton of range, but he was pretty good out there. 4 errors all season and I think 2 were in the same game.

Errors are not how you rate a player defensively. Fangraphs rates Choo far and away the worst CF in baseball last year of all the players that qualified as playing CF.

That is why everybody says Choo is bad in CF.

15. Likes:

joshua (11-15-2013)

Look at it how you want. I look at how many games he cost us in CF and it was just that one in St Louis in April. Choo was fine in CF, regardless of what these websites say.

The Red Sox did not make a qualifying offer to Saltalamacchia. What kind of deal do you think he gets?

I've seen predictions for Salty in the 4 year, $36 mill range.

Jon Heyman is reporting we will not make a qualifying offer to Bronson. Feels like somewhat of a mistake to me; then again, it's not my money.

I wish the Reds would take a look at Salty, though it'll never happen.

Turn Off Ads?