Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Discussion

Re: Offseason Discussion

What about Logan Morrison as a trade candidate for left field? Gets on base at a good clip, has good pop, is left handed, doesn't make much. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jwertz View Post
    What about Logan Morrison as a trade candidate for left field? Gets on base at a good clip, has good pop, is left handed, doesn't make much. Thoughts?
    Need someone who can hit from the right side IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Reading a lot of chatter of Mark Trumbo to Cleveland.

I would like the Rays to get Mark Trumbo for David Price if they decide Price must go....
    That's aiming pretty low for Price.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by jwertz View Post
    A healthy Ludwick is a better hitter and a better defender. Morrison at a low cost in Xavier Paul's role wouldn't be bad. Maybe something like Marshall for Morrison would work. Probably nothing the Marlins would want would be worth dealing. Think they'd take Soto?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

what about jose altuve as brandon phillips replacement?

7. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (11-16-2013)

...maybe the Reds can get Alex Rodriguez to switch to second base? They could make a deal with the Yankees to take him off their hands as long as the Yankees keep paying his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    ...maybe the Reds can get Alex Rodriguez to switch to second base? They could make a deal with the Yankees to take him off their hands as long as the Yankees keep paying his contract.
    If you thought Brandon Phillips was a circus....

Maybe try to get Danny Espinosa cheap

Read on Twitter the Pirates are a finalist for Josh Johnson. Burnett has been great since joining the pirates and same with Liriano. I dont want them to turn Josh Johnson around too. IMHO him signing with the Pirates is horrible for the Reds

Bowden says the Reds should trade Mesoraco and Phillips to the Orioles for Wieters. I'm not all that impressed with Wieters' stats and he becomes a free agent in two years.

13. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-19-2013)

To me I would rather trade BP because you can clear payroll and/or replace two spots with one players instead of trading BP and Meso to fill catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Bowden says the Reds should trade Mesoraco and Phillips to the Orioles for Wieters. I'm not all that impressed with Wieters' stats and he becomes a free agent in two years.
    Wieters does hit for power but wouldn't that trade create just as many questions as answers? If not more?

I didn't say he was. My point isn't that the moves are bad. Just that overall I would argue they haven't really improved.

They added defense in center only to lose it at short.

They added offense at short but have probably lost some with Wong and Bourjos instead of Freese and Jay.

It seems like shuffling around similar players only at different positions.
    Jay and Freese were 102 OPS+ hitters last year. 102 OPS+. That's league average. Bourjos hit that last year before he got hurt and has a 116 OPS+ year under his belt 2 years ago. You'd have to really over evaluate Bourjos's 2012 to think he's unlikely to match Jay.

And you'd have to over really over evaluate Wong's 60 ABs last year and ignore the hell out of his minor league production to think he's unlikely to be a league average hitter. And you'd have to drastically overestimate the defensive gap between Peralta and Kozma to not consider this a clear upgrade when Kozma is putting up a 57 OPS+. That kind of offensive production practically wipes away his defensive value....especially when he you consider that Peralta has been the 3rd best defensive SS in baseball over the span of the last 3 years.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=24,d

They way I see it, they upgraded on offense at SS and stayed the same on offense everywhere else. But they upgraded on defense at CF, 3B and 2B while practically staying the same everywhere else. They got better. Plus they'll keep Koz on the bench and get ride of Descalso anyway.

Question about Choo. Is the Reds FO willing to let him go or are they going to try to sign him? I don't understand why the reds would just let him go....he's a player that I thought was important to the future of the Reds success.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    Look at it how you want. I look at how many games he cost us in CF and it was just that one in St Louis in April. Choo was fine in CF, regardless of what these websites say.
    My memory was that Cincy won the game that Choo had two miscues against St Louis. Not that my memory is that great.

Turn Off Ads?