Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leyland stepping down as Tigers Manager

Re: Leyland stepping down as Tigers Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Moses, himself, couldn't have successfully managed the wretched 03-05 Tigers. It took Dombrowski years to clean up the mess that Randy Smith left behind.
    I went to spring training when Tram was the manager and Gibby a coach and remember seeing them pulling away after the game in a mini van, so I (being a drunk 21 year old) jumped in front of the van and waved. They thought it was hilarious.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-21-2013),Revering4Blue (10-22-2013),Tom Servo (10-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...er-this-winter

Here is a knock for the future manager. The Tigers are looking to trade Scherzer.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

I think the Tigers would have won it all if their bullpen wasn't awful. It was just something they couldn't overcome in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the Tigers would have won it all if their bullpen wasn't awful. It was just something they couldn't overcome in the postseason.
    Running and fielding would have been a nice part of the game to be average in for them too.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Running and fielding would have been a nice part of the game to be average in for them too.
    ...not to mention Cabrera and Fielder actually hitting during the ALCS

Yeah, that's got to be some post-game spread.

Leyland said he will be staying in the organization in another capacity. Sounds like he just wants out of managing. Can't blame him. Thankless job.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Thankless job.
    You mean other than making Millions of dollars and getting a shiny ring and adored by millions of people if you win the world series?

He doesn't want to be on the road for months of the year or at the ballpark for 12+ hours a day. Can't blame him for that.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-22-2013),TSJ55 (10-21-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I actually just said Dusty's name in the "Leyland Stepping Down as Manager" http://www.motownsports.com/forums/d...n-manager.html thread on Motownsports.com and the reaction is hilarious.
    Another bunch of ungrateful and unappreciative fans like the Nationals message board that apparently just doesn't like to win.

Jim Bowden's take

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Leyland cost them that series. When Ortiz is up with the bases juiced, you bring in a lefty. Period.

16. Likes:

George Foster (10-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Leyland cost them that series. When Ortiz is up with the bases juiced, you bring in a lefty. Period.
    They had a chance to go home up 2-0 winning the first 2 in boston. No idea why Ortiz did not face a lefty...any lefty..
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

The fans were booing Prince Fielder so hard in game 5. I was ashamed to be in the stadium. They were ruthless. My co workers were all whining about Fielder too. Tough crowd.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I DOUBT this would happen, but if there is one team Tony LaRussa should come out of retirement to manage, it would be the Tigers.

Best rotation in all of baseball and a pretty potent lineup. The only question mark on the team whatsoever is the bullpen.

To me it would be like Phil Jackson coming out of retirement to coach the Lakers with Shaq and a young Kobe Bryant. The Tigers need someone who can get them over the hump, LaRussa can do it.

Not saying it will happen, but it's a lot more plausible than the Reds (not factoring in Castelllini).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Agree, the Tigers gig is perfect for an old timer with a 2-3 year time horizon looking to grab a ring before heading into the sunset (again).

Turn Off Ads?