Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Leyland stepping down as Tigers Manager

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: Leyland stepping down as Tigers Manager

I DOUBT this would happen, but if there is one team Tony LaRussa should come out of retirement to manage, it would be the Tigers.

Best rotation in all of baseball and a pretty potent lineup. The only question mark on the team whatsoever is the bullpen.

To me it would be like Phil Jackson coming out of retirement to coach the Lakers with Shaq and a young Kobe Bryant. The Tigers need someone who can get them over the hump, LaRussa can do it.

Not saying it will happen, but it's a lot more plausible than the Reds (not factoring in Castelllini).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Agree, the Tigers gig is perfect for an old timer with a 2-3 year time horizon looking to grab a ring before heading into the sunset (again).

Leyland stepping down as Tigers Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Leyland cost them that series. When Ortiz is up with the bases juiced, you bring in a lefty. Period.
    He blew that for sure, but in the end his team could pitch (starters) and hit the rest of their game got stale. But as we know up 2-0 is not a sure thing

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Leyland isn't Baker. Leyland won a World Series.
    Do you really believe this makes him a better manager?

Leland's PLAYERS won the 1997 World Series by the skin of their teeth in extra innings of game 7 with help from a key error by Tony Fernandez.

Dusty Baker's players had a 5-0 lead in the 7th inning game 6 of the 2002 World series before his pen blew it in very similar fashion to how the Tigers' pen blew game 2 of this year's ALCS.

Neither of these guys are my favorite, but they both have proven track records of fostering a winning culture. To say Leyland is better because he one "ring' more than Baker is nonsense.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

7. Likes:

Backup Catcher (11-04-2013), jimbo (10-22-2013), Tom Servo (10-22-2013), tomnuetten (10-23-2013), westofyou (10-22-2013)

I think Charlie Manuel would be a very good fit for Detroit.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think Charlie Manuel would be a very good fit for Detroit.
    He is actually the guy I kinda hope is the Reds next hitting coach. I remember them saying he saw something in Bruce to where Jay didn't even know how good he was going to be.

I always wondered if he could help bring that out. Or Edmonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I just looked it up to poke fun at Brian Kenny. Leyland's teams had 1,320 sac bunts for his career.

--His Pittsburgh teams led the league in that stat a couple of times and were in the top half of the league 9 of 11 seasons IIRC.

--Detroit's AL rank in sac bunts during Leyland's tenure: 2, 12, 9, 2, 7, 3, 3, 6.
    Wasn't that why he batted Jay Bell 2nd in Pittsburgh so long?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

So, is Leyland a Hall-of-Famer?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I think so.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I want to say yes because I really like the guy, but looking through the managerial numbers...I don't think so.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Leyland cost them that series. When Ortiz is up with the bases juiced, you bring in a lefty. Period.
    That's a load of baloney. The pitcher who surrendered the home run, closer and best Tigers reliever Joaquin Benoit, is tougher on lefties than RH batters. Lefties hit .188/.253/.261 against him in 2013...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

15. Likes:

jimbo (10-23-2013)

Phil Coke was his only lefty available. Coke had been injured most of the season and had been mostly ineffective when used. Who's to say what would have happened had he brought Coke in? But I can't blame Leyland. Beniot was his closer and he should be able to get anyone out.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Phil Coke was his only lefty available. Coke had been injured most of the season and had been mostly ineffective when used. Who's to say what would have happened had he brought Coke in? But I can't blame Leyland. Beniot was his closer and he should be able to get anyone out.
    If anything, the criticism lies at not allowing Scherzer to at least begin the inning. The four different relievers he put in a position to succeed and did not get the job done is not his fault...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Turn Off Ads?