Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brian McCann

Re: Brian McCann

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    You're being selective with your choice of stats. Frazier may have been 9th in HRs, but he was 12th in SLG, 14th in OPS, and 15th in wOBA. Who could the Reds get to replace Frazier? I'd like to see Walt go after Chase Headley. You're not going to get a lot more HRs from Headley, but "thumping" isn't just HRs. I think Headley could thrive at the GABP after spending so many seasons at Petco.

Any upgrades are going to cost money. I worry more about McCann aging than Headley. McCann isn't a great defensive catcher in the first place, and he's probably going to get 5+ years. If he's still catching after 5 years, I doubt he's doing it very well.
    Of course I was being selective. I was talking about addressing the team's power issues. FWIW, if Frazier's BA rebounds to even .265, then he's got plenty of thump (and Chase Headley really doesn't).

I get not wanting to invest that many years in a 30+ catcher. I'm not saying they have to sign the guy, but when I look at this roster I don't see anything that could have a bigger potential impact than adding power at catcher. The Reds don't really have that many spots where they can get a major power upgrade.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-23-2013),REDREAD (10-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'd love to get McCann. This team is fresh out of payroll space.

What ails the Reds (upgrades on a budget) likely won't be fixed by a GM like Jocketty.

I expect a very slow, quiet offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd love to get McCann. This team is fresh out of payroll space.

What ails the Reds (upgrades on a budget) likely won't be fixed by a GM like Jocketty.

I expect a very slow, quiet offseason.
    I suspect you're 100% wrong about that. We'll see. Jocketty doesn't spend money just because he's got it, but the Reds didn't lose that competitive balance draft pick for nothing. 4th highest all-time attendance, new MLB TV contract revenues kicking in for 2014, sponsorship and other league revenues also likely on the rise.

I've got a feeling the Reds might surprise us with a few moves/contracts this winter. Hopefully they turn out to be good contracts.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-24-2013),REDREAD (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I suspect you're 100% wrong about that. We'll see. Jocketty doesn't spend money just because he's got it, but the Reds didn't lose that competitive balance draft pick for nothing. 4th highest all-time attendance, new MLB TV contract revenues kicking in for 2014, sponsorship and other league revenues also likely on the rise.

I've got a feeling the Reds might surprise us with a few moves/contracts this winter. Hopefully they turn out to be good contracts.
    If there were big money contracts on the horizon (or the flexibility inherent in a an expected windfall) I can't imagine the Reds standing totally pat at this season's trade deadline. All evidence on the ground points to very little payroll room. Doesn't mean trades can't be made, but they're also really short on prospects.

I'll say this: if Walt can navigate this offseason's straits and produce a 90 win team, he's earned his place among the greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If there were big money contracts on the horizon (or the flexibility inherent in a an expected windfall) I can't imagine the Reds standing totally pat at this season's trade deadline. All evidence on the ground points to very little payroll room. Doesn't mean trades can't be made, but they're also really short on prospects.

I'll say this: if Walt can navigate this offseason's straits and produce a 90 win team, he's earned his place among the greats.
    The entire deadline was DOA this year. The problem with modern GMs is they've fallen in love with the poker player analogy and they all try to bluff their way through the summer no matter how bad their cards may be. Not much Jocketty can do when teams like the Twins, Mariners, Padres and DBacks are demanding king's ransoms for supporting players.

I'd say all evidence points to a constipated market.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2013)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Todd Frazier was 9th among MLB 3Bs in HR. Unless you've got a plan to land Miguel Cabrera, Pedro Alvarez, Evan Longoria, Adrian Beltre or Ryan Zimmerman, then you're probably not going to get a lot more HR thump than Frazier can provide. And you're certainly not going to get it at a better price point than Frazier.
    Do you think Chase Headley will bounce back, and is he a good "buy low" candidate?

I think it's a good bet that the answer to the first question is 'YES' (spring training injury; no power most of year; near 1.000 OPS in month of September), but I have no idea about the answer to the second question.

Edit - I missed the post above where you're not high on Headley. I dunno.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 10-23-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I wonder what it would take to nab a guy like John Jaso from the A's? Not a lot of thump but a Mes/Jaso platoon would be very productive. Maybe try to get Beane to package Jaso and a guy like Reddick for Cueto. I know it's a reserve-Beane move but my guess is he looks for a true hammer to make a difference in the rotation and guys like Cueto and Bailey are on his short list. A's/Reds match up well this offseason.
    Love Jaso's game, but so do the A's. If the A's make him available, I'd worry that they know his concussion problem is really serious.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Do you think Chase Headley will bounce back, and is he a good "buy low" candidate?

I think it's a good bet that the answer to the first question is 'YES' (spring training injury; no power most of year; near 1.000 OPS in month of September), but I have no idea about the answer to the second question.

Edit - I missed the post above where you're not high on Headley. I dunno.
    I thought his 2012 smacked of fluke. Maybe because he'll be in a free agent push next year he could re-fluke, but how much are you going to trade for one year of 3B whose standard season is something you can get from your current 3B who comes at 1/10 the price?

I thought his 2012 smacked of fluke. Maybe because he'll be in a free agent push next year he could re-fluke, but how much are you going to trade for one year of 3B whose standard season is something you can get from your current 3B who comes at 1/10 the price?
    There's definitely a limit. I don't know exactly what the limit is. But by comparison, even if Didi Gregorius turns into an all-star shortstop, I still love the Choo trade even if it turns out we only get him for one year. I will especially like it if they can make hay with the compensation draft pick and bonus money.
    Stick to your guns.

Jocketty pulled off some trade-and-sign deals when he was with the Cardinals. Why can't he do that here? I know his payroll is more limited, but there's still some room.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Jocketty pulled off some trade-and-sign deals when he was with the Cardinals. Why can't he do that here? I know his payroll is more limited, but there's still some room.
    I have nothing against the concept, but why do it for Chase Headley?

I think a move to a team like the Reds would be great for him. He seems like the type of guy the Cardinals would pick up and turn into a perennial all-star. He seems like a guy who has languished in a big park, playing for bad teams.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-24-2013)

Headley had a knee injury that was kept quiet for most of 2013. Had surgery in late September.

He's going to have to show he's healthy before anything happens with him, whether trade or contract extension.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Headley had a knee injury that was kept quiet for most of 2013. Had surgery in late September.

He's going to have to show he's healthy before anything happens with him, whether trade or contract extension.
    That's at least a material reason. His 2012 season (particularly his HR/FB rate from that season) looks like an outlier. It reeks of Jacoby Ellsbury 2011, Brady Anderson 1996 and Davey Johnson 1973.

However, if he made a leap in 2012 and you think injury kept him from duplicating that leap in 2013, then maybe you make the move. My take is you better be right if you do it. Otherwise you traded meaningful bodies and spent a lot of money for a lateral move at 3B.

McCann would be a perfect fit for this team next year.
    Honestly, if I had to chose between Choo and McCann, it would be difficult. (Hypothetically: let's say we could only add one, money is not an issue)

I think both Mez and Hamilton have a lot of potential, but also growing pains next year. Choo may actually be a better fit for the team, but it would be awesome to plug McCann into the lineup with Votto and Bruce.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?