Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brian McCann

Re: Brian McCann

This thread is a great example of why I really want Choo resigned. If not Choo, I think they will make at least 1 FA signing for slightly less than Choo commands. The options for that consilation prize are pretty big dropoffs IMO. The idea of spending 10-12M on a Brian McCann because we can't find 15-17M for Choo doesn't appeal to me at all. In the short term, ya McCann would probably help us. In the long run, giving 10M to (now) average players is what gets you in financial trouble in the first place. Broxton, Ludwick, and more are examples of the 2nd tier players chewing up way too much of the payroll. Even guys like Arroyo who exceeded expectations during that contract brought limited value at that price. To an extent, its the same reason BP is on the trade market.

I really think the Reds are better off finding ways to pay their stars and going as cheap as possible anywhere else. Too many guys making 4-10M will kill you. They aren't difference makers and prevent you from keeping your difference makers.

2. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

McCann may fetch upwards of $100,000,000.00 with this contract. Too much for a catcher his age or not called Posey, Molina, or Mauer.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...t-disaster-mlb

Would be a huge mistake. Gotta let Mesoraco develop another year or two. With Barnhart on the way, no reason to get desperate and blow a hole in the budget at catcher, where players do not age well.

6. Likes:

Beltway (10-23-2013),cumberlandreds (10-22-2013),mdccclxix (10-22-2013),Old school 1983 (10-22-2013)

McCann can teach the Reds how to act. He can take offense to every HR hit off of Reds pitching. Pass, I would rather roll with Mes and Hanigan than sign the purveyor of baseball Brian McCann.

8. Likes:

Beltway (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Would a BP for McCann trade make any sense?
    Yes. It would make great sense for the Braves!
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I hear there's a chance that we've seen our last home plate collision in MLB. I agree about the Brewers pitchers making him wear one,regardless.
    --That would be a shame. 99% of collisions are because the C blocks the plate without the ball and/or doesn't leave the runner a piece of the plate.

--Will MLB allow McCann to wear his sheriff's badge next year?

--I have no idea about the monetary particulars, but I'd prefer to bring Navarro back.

11. Likes:

TRF (10-22-2013)

Navarro is cheaper, the same age and has some familiarity with the Reds staff. Allows Mes one solid year as the primary catcher if you cut bait with Hanigan.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    If he's healthy, I like him. It just seems like a lot of risk and possibly an overreaction to a year where Hanigan was uncharacteristically awful. Between the fact that Hanigan may bounce back and Mes may turn the corner, I wouldn't call this our #1 area of need. Also, there may be guys available in trade for not much. Billy Beane got John Jaso last offseason for a borderline prospect best known for getting suspended for homophobic tweets and alcohol related incidents. What would it take to get Lavarnway from the Sox? Either Iannetta or Conger from the Angels?
    Hanigan may bounce back, but even if he does he won't have power. The Reds really could use more thump. If I'm Jocketty/Price I need to be a lot farther along that Mes may turn the corner. I like your ideas on lower cost solutions. That strikes me as the more likely route for the Reds to take.

McCann's the Cadillac solution. If one big money team gets interested (and the Yankees certainly could use the guy), his price tag is going to blow up. The Reds probably can't get him. That said, I'm pretty sure he's the free agent who'd have the biggest impact on the Reds' lineup. So, back to what you were saying, who else can give you McCann's kind of pop from behind the plate?
    Last edited by M2; 10-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think Mes will outhit McCann in 2014.
    Just curious, why? That a 150-point OPS gap Mes needs to close.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Can't you sort of look at ballpark factor in this discussion? I think if McCann gets in GABP, he will have an insane season. I know Turner Field isn't exactly a pitching paradise but GABP seems almost perfect for McCann.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hanigan may bounce back, but even if he does he won't have power. The Reds really could use more thump. If I'm Jocketty/Price I need to be a lot farther along that Mes may turn the corner. I like your ideas on lower cost solutions. That strikes me as the more likely route for the Reds to take.

McCann's the Cadillac solution. If one big money team gets interested (and the Yankees certainly could use the guy), his price tag is going to blow up. The Reds probably can't get him. That said, I'm pretty sure he's the free agent who'd the biggest impact on the Reds' lineup. So, back to what you were saying, who else can give you McCann's kind of pop from behind the plate?
    He's a great fit in a lot of ways -- not just his production, but in that impossible-to-quantify leadership and intangibles way as well. He would be a great addition.

I wonder what it would take to nab a guy like John Jaso from the A's? Not a lot of thump but a Mes/Jaso platoon would be very productive. Maybe try to get Beane to package Jaso and a guy like Reddick for Cueto. I know it's a reserve-Beane move but my guess is he looks for a true hammer to make a difference in the rotation and guys like Cueto and Bailey are on his short list. A's/Reds match up well this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I wonder what it would take to nab a guy like John Jaso from the A's? Not a lot of thump but a Mes/Jaso platoon would be very productive. Maybe try to get Beane to package Jaso and a guy like Reddick for Cueto. I know it's a reserve-Beane move but my guess is he looks for a true hammer to make a difference in the rotation and guys like Cueto and Bailey are on his short list. A's/Reds match up well this offseason.

If I'm calling the A's, I would look into Crisp/Lowrie. Two birds one stone and such.

And to keep on topic, I really, really, really, don't want the Reds to spend big on a catcher, and lose their 1st round draft pick this offseason. If they don't believe Mesoraco can be the guy, there will be other options.

McCann is a tough call, as you can imagine a Scott Rolen like influence, and a Scott Rolen type decline. I would want a 4 year deal max, but he may get 5 or 6. And there isn't room to move him to 1b either down the line.

I prefer a deal with Granderson in order to find some pop. Granderson may end up being the value deal this offseason with Choo getting the top dollar. 3 years, 45 million for Granderson and he can hand the keys to Hamilton, Ervin, Winker, etc.

I never put a lot of money in plus 30 catchers. Never.

Choo's gone. So you've got two OF spots to fill with bats. Much easier and cheaper.

Go for depth, not names.

Turn Off Ads?