Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brian McCann

Brian McCann

Not for nothing, but he's the best power hitting catcher of his generation. Granted he doesn't have Godzilla power. Still, he hits 20+ HR like clockwork. If you had a team that got a .221/.298/.317 line from its catchers, McCann could be a major upgrade. Mind you, that team would need to spend some cash for that upgrade.

Potential downsides of McCann:

- He turns 30 this winter. Catchers wear down and McCann played a ton of innings in his 20s. He's starting to get injured a bit and his numbers have dipped.

- He made $12 million last season. While I think he might come cheaper than that, he's still going to cost money and he might be seeking 4-5 years.

- Carlos Gomez may kill him. I'm not joking about this. If Gomez ever gets to freight train McCann he might not leave much more than a red stain. It's not outside the realm of possibility that Brewers pitchers might be tempted to leave a few in McCann's earhole as well. McCann picked a fight where he might end up a casualty, which is something NL Central teams in particular need to consider.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

cincinnati chili (10-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brian McCann

Would a BP for McCann trade make any sense? I know the Braves would want to include Uggla, too...

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Would a BP for McCann trade make any sense? I know the Braves would want to include Uggla, too...
    McCann's a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    McCann's a free agent.
    Right. I didn't think it made any sense.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-22-2013),cincinnati chili (11-23-2013),David Cubbedge (10-22-2013),edabbs44 (10-21-2013),Redeyecat (10-22-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (10-21-2013)

Reds had to dig into the couch cushions for one year of Choo. Not going to happen without tons of salary exiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Reds had to dig into the couch cushions for one year of Choo. Not going to happen without tons of salary exiting.
    Perhaps there was stuff left over in the cushions from those chairs Dunn and Griffey used.

So that means that y'all think Mes can't be that guy as a #1 catcher? I disagree with that assessment.

11. Likes:

Beltway (10-23-2013),BoxingRed (10-25-2013),George Foster (10-21-2013),redsfandan (10-22-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (10-21-2013),TRF (10-22-2013)

The question who would be more valuable to the Reds? Choo and his on base percentage and solo homeruns (with him 90 wins, 3rd place) or McCann a team leader and 20 plus homeruns, .250-.270 batting average.

If you look at their career numbers, McCann's stats have gone done in almost every category since his best year of 2008. He went 0-13 in this years NLDS. Choo is 2 years older and his power numbers are up a little, more consistant stats.

Me...I say Choo because he can play LF too and Mez has a chance to have the same stats as McCann had this year given the starting job. When I say starting job I mean 120 games or more.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

13. Likes:

marcshoe (10-21-2013),SirFelixCat (10-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    So that means that y'all think Mes can't be that guy as a #1 catcher? I disagree with that assessment.
    Not sure that's what people think. This strikes me as more of an openly speculative thread than an indictment of Rocco.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    I don't know if he can. He had the shot to take the job in 2013 and didn't do it.

The reality is if the Reds want to make big improvements to the offense, the two positions first in line for an upgrade are C and SS. Can Mes be the answer? If the team doesn't feel the answer is a clear and definitive yes, then it needs to go catcher shopping.

16. Likes:

Puffy (10-22-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

They could also look at Pierzynski for a year for more of a stopgap thing. He might be able to do the Rolen thing decently too.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Carlos Gomez may kill him. I'm not joking about this. If Gomez ever gets to freight train McCann he might not leave much more than a red stain. It's not outside the realm of possibility that Brewers pitchers might be tempted to leave a few in McCann's earhole as well. McCann picked a fight where he might end up a casualty, which is something NL Central teams in particular need to consider.
    I hear there's a chance that we've seen our last home plate collision in MLB. I agree about the Brewers pitchers making him wear one,regardless.

If he's healthy, I like him. It just seems like a lot of risk and possibly an overreaction to a year where Hanigan was uncharacteristically awful. Between the fact that Hanigan may bounce back and Mes may turn the corner, I wouldn't call this our #1 area of need. Also, there may be guys available in trade for not much. Billy Beane got John Jaso last offseason for a borderline prospect best known for getting suspended for homophobic tweets and alcohol related incidents. What would it take to get Lavarnway from the Sox? Either Iannetta or Conger from the Angels?
    Stick to your guns.

I think Mes will outhit McCann in 2014.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-22-2013),Beltway (10-23-2013)

The reality is if the Reds want to make big improvements to the offense, the two positions first in line for an upgrade are C and SS. Can Mes be the answer? If the team doesn't feel the answer is a clear and definitive yes, then it needs to go catcher shopping.
    What of LF? And in your scenario above who is playing CF for the Reds in 2014?

I don't know if he can. He had the shot to take the job in 2013 and didn't do it.

M2, is it fair for me to wonder how much of that was Baker? Point being, maybe Price gives him a new shot at this without whatever baggage there may or may not have been with him and dusty...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Turn Off Ads?