Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brian McCann

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Brian McCann

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    They could also look at Pierzynski for a year for more of a stopgap thing. He might be able to do the Rolen thing decently too.
    Sorry AJ, I tried.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Pierzynski is, obviously, not paid to walk.

4. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-22-2013),RichRed (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Which means he will become the Brennaman family favorite the day he walks in the door! Can you just imagine the PbP conversations!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I never put a lot of money in plus 30 catchers. Never.

Choo's gone. So you've got two OF spots to fill with bats. Much easier and cheaper.

Go for depth, not names.
    It may only be one OF slot that gets filled (Choo or the guy who replace Choo and who likely will not be as good as Choo was in 2013). A lot depends on where the teams stands on Hamilton and Ludwick.

Since the OF stands to get less from a not-Choo option, you need to get more elsewhere. Again, I come back to C and SS.

BTW, I'm fine with going after lesser names (for instance, I still think Will Venable could be a steal for the Reds), but the production needs to materialize. If the Reds go after a long shot and he fails, it's going to hit the team right in the W-L record.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

mth123 (10-22-2013),REDREAD (10-22-2013)

Wil Venable will break your heart. I pick him up for my fantasy team EVERY YEAR. I dunno why. Just fascinated with the potential power and speed.

And every year, I cut him.

too erratic.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

CHOOOCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Wil Venable will break your heart. I pick him up for my fantasy team EVERY YEAR. I dunno why. Just fascinated with the potential power and speed.

And every year, I cut him.

too erratic.
    That's because he plays half his games in Petco. Stick him in a neutral park and his 2013 line would have been .285/.329/.516.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Barry Bonds had more walks in 2004 than Pierzynski had in the first 14 years of his career (including those first 3 partial years)

12. Likes:

pahster (10-22-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post

Pierzynski's 2.1 BB% was the lowest in the MLB.
    He's also got a 750 career OPS. Career 322 OBP, not crazy out of line with the rest of the Reds. He's not going to be a savior. He's a catcher, chances are he's going to have some flaws offensively. Otherwise he'd be getting 100 milli like McCann might (and even he is not without his major flaws.)

He's not the Reds final answer, but he would have been the Reds best catcher this year.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    BTW, I'm fine with going after lesser names (for instance, I still think Will Venable could be a steal for the Reds), but the production needs to materialize. If the Reds go after a long shot and he fails, it's going to hit the team right in the W-L record.
    Not the end of the world if they don't win next year. If right now there's no payflex, then I think you roll the dice on lesser talents. If you're on top in July, great. If not, you start to clear some of the dross from the roster, maybe get back some talent, and look to add some big pieces next winter.

I don't know if he can. He had the shot to take the job in 2013 and did not do it.
    not really. He knew just like everyone else with Dusty being the manager that when Hannagan was healthy HE was going to be the main starter.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Hanigan may bounce back, but even if he does he won't have power. The Reds really could use more thump. If I'm Jocketty/Price I need to be a lot farther along that Mes may turn the corner. I like your ideas on lower cost solutions. That strikes me as the more likely route for the Reds to take.

McCann's the Cadillac solution. If one big money team gets interested (and the Yankees certainly could use the guy), his price tag is going to blow up. The Reds probably can't get him. That said, I'm pretty sure he's the free agent who'd have the biggest impact on the Reds' lineup. So, back to what you were saying, who else can give you McCann's kind of pop from behind the plate?
    The Reds could use more thump, but I don't think catcher is the position to search for it. Catching is a position where defense is at a premium. I'd rather have a light-hitting defensive wiz than a declining catcher who was known for his offense, especially at the price tag McCann will demand (possibly more than Molina for some silly reason). An organization like the Reds needs to get "thump" from the corner outfield and infield positions. I'd rather see upgrades at LF and 3B than at catcher.

And where would McCann play in a few years when his knees start to go? He's not playing first.

17. Likes:

joshua (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    The Reds could use more thump, but I don't think catcher is the position to search for it. Catching is a position where defense is at a premium. I'd rather have a light-hitting defensive wiz than a declining catcher who was known for his offense, especially at the price tag McCann will demand (possibly more than Molina for some silly reason). An organization like the Reds needs to get "thump" from the corner outfield and infield positions. I'd rather see upgrades at LF and 3B than at catcher.

And where would McCann play in a few years when his knees start to go? He's not playing first.
    Todd Frazier was 9th among MLB 3Bs in HR. Unless you've got a plan to land Miguel Cabrera, Pedro Alvarez, Evan Longoria, Adrian Beltre or Ryan Zimmerman, then you're probably not going to get a lot more HR thump than Frazier can provide. And you're certainly not going to get it at a better price point than Frazier.

As for LF, it's tied to CF. Do the Reds re-sign Choo? If so, does he play LF or CF? The long-term answer in CF looks to be Billy Hamilton and he is no power hitter. So the Reds ultimately aren't going to be gaining a lot of thump in the OF. Bruce + Hamilton + Choo-level power leaves them roughly where they were in 2013.

So there's LF and 3B out the window in terms of piling on a lot of extra power. Meanwhile the Reds were 27th in MLB for HRs and SLG from catchers. Point being, if you aren't willing to add thump behind the plate on this team yet you still want to add power for the long-term, then I suggest trading Billy Hamilton.

Mes is hitting 16 hr's per 162, McCann 126. 10 hr's isn't anything to sneeze at. But you consider that McCann is probably entering his twilight and Mes entering his prime and that gap could shrink.

Reds LF's hit 14 homers. I think that would be an easier and cheaper place to find 10 homers.

Todd Frazier was 9th among MLB 3Bs in HR. Unless you've got a plan to land Miguel Cabrera, Pedro Alvarez, Evan Longoria, Adrian Beltre or Ryan Zimmerman, then you're probably not going to get a lot more HR thump than Frazier can provide. And you're certainly not going to get it at a better price point than Frazier.

As for LF, it's tied to CF. Do the Reds re-sign Choo? If so, does he play LF or CF? The long-term answer in CF looks to be Billy Hamilton and he is no power hitter. So the Reds ultimately aren't going to be gaining a lot of thump in the OF. Bruce + Hamilton + Choo-level power leaves them roughly where they were in 2013.

So there's LF and 3B out the window in terms of piling on a lot of extra power. Meanwhile the Reds were 27th in MLB for HRs and SLG from catchers. Point being, if you aren't willing to add thump behind the plate on this team yet you still want to add power for the long-term, then I suggest trading Billy Hamilton.
    You're being selective with your choice of stats. Frazier may have been 9th in HRs, but he was 12th in SLG, 14th in OPS, and 15th in wOBA. Who could the Reds get to replace Frazier? I'd like to see Walt go after Chase Headley. You're not going to get a lot more HRs from Headley, but "thumping" isn't just HRs. I think Headley could thrive at the GABP after spending so many seasons at Petco.

Any upgrades are going to cost money. I worry more about McCann aging than Headley. McCann isn't a great defensive catcher in the first place, and he's probably going to get 5+ years. If he's still catching after 5 years, I doubt he's doing it very well.

Turn Off Ads?