Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Brian McCann

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Brian McCann

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's at least a material reason. His 2012 season (particularly his HR/FB rate from that season) looks like an outlier. It reeks of Jacoby Ellsbury 2011, Brady Anderson 1996 and Davey Johnson 1973.
    You may be on to something in terms of his home run rate, but I see signs of offensive excellence beyond just 2012. His road slash line in 2011 was .330/.399/.465. His overall slash line in Sept 2013 was .305/.424/.573.

Not as excellent, but still quite good, was his post all-star 2013 - .280/.371/.458.

You and I are both skeptical of defensive WAR, but I'm much closer to a believer when dealing with infielders than I am with outfielders. He's been very good to elite defensively for three of the last four years as measured by defensive WAR. And he's fun to watch play.

So if the guy is healthy I see him as more than a minor upgrade over Frazier.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

Beltway (10-25-2013),Old school 1983 (10-25-2013),wlf WV (10-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    You are joking, right?
    I think people are seriously overrating Brian McCann's offense. He's not the same player he was before 2012. But I also really dislike Officer McCann and that's probably coloring my judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post

You are joking, right?
    Not joking.
    1. I said money would not be an issue, but I should've been clearer on that. Hypothetically, let's say the Reds can add 20 million year to the payroll.
    Choo at approx 20 million or McCann at 12ish + 8 million to spend elsewhere.

2. Choo plays OF. He's an elite hitter, but it's harder to find offense at C than OF.

We're talking about how these players might fit into the picture.
    I didn't mean to imply that McCann was as good on raw offense.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    You may be on to something in terms of his home run rate, but I see signs of offensive excellence beyond just 2012. His road slash line in 2011 was .330/.399/.465. His overall slash line in Sept 2013 was .305/.424/.573.

Not as excellent, but still quite good, was his post all-star 2013 - .280/.371/.458.

You and I are both skeptical of defensive WAR, but I'm much closer to a believer when dealing with infielders than I am with outfielders. He's been very good to elite defensively for three of the last four years as measured by defensive WAR. And he's fun to watch play.

So if the guy is healthy I see him as more than a minor upgrade over Frazier.
    The defense would be a bigger factor for me except Frazier's got a really good glove. I think it's a push as to which one is better defensively.

Like anyone else who escapes Petco, Headley could get a bump. Yet he doesn't strike me as the type of hitter who'll find a lot of power in that move. BA, OB, doubles - sure. When it comes to HR, I'd project him in 15-20 range. Obviously he can do better (though so can Frazier), but I would not expect that on a consistent basis.

Headley's upside, IMO, is better OB and more speed on the bases. He'd make a nice #2 hitter. Frazier is more of a 5-6 hitter. My take is it's a case of different rather than better. Given the risk (free agent after 2014) and the cost (both in money and talent), I wouldn't move for just Headley.

However, if the Reds could score a package deal - e.g Headley, Will Venable, Logan Forsythe - I'd give it serious thought. What the team would have to trade to get that (Frazier obviously would be part of the package) I don't know. And Jocketty really would have to lock up Headley to make the deal pay off.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?